#61 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 20 April 2016 - 09:52 PM

Boh is a Maryland beer. Semantics. Just like Old Style is a Chicago beer even though Pabst bought them up too and moved it to who knows where.

They make Sam Adams in Cincinnati. I'm sure they aren't calling it "theirs" in Ohio.

They also make Sam Adams in Boston.

#62 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 09:56 PM

I think Sean makes a fair point, but I think he takes it to the extreme.

Just that we're having this conversation again on here is indicative of the relevance of where Boh is made.

If it was still made here, it would be even bigger of a deal locally.

#63 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,565 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 06:36 AM

I think Sean makes a fair point, but I think he takes it to the extreme.

Just that we're having this conversation again on here is indicative of the relevance of where Boh is made.

If it was still made here, it would be even bigger of a deal locally.

No doubt.

But all you have to do is notice the Boh logo everywhere you go. T-shirts, car stickers, etc...

It may have gotten to the point where the brand has surpassed the actual beer, and that brand -- Mr. Boh -- is pure Baltimore.

And I would say that the retro beer stuff was a fad and won't last much longer,  but Boh has been "back" for 10 years.

Kinda surprised they haven't opened up a brewing facility in MD...it would at least save them a lot on shipping costs.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#64 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 21 April 2016 - 07:11 AM

They can dump Dogfish Head while they are at it.  Get an actual Local brewing company in there like Union.

#65 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,565 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 07:13 AM

They can dump Dogfish Head while they are at it.  Get an actual Local brewing company in there like Union.

I am in agreement there.

Heavy Seas, Flying Dog, Union should be the big 3 locals they sell.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#66 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 01:08 PM

No need to dump a really good craft brewery that is somewhat local. Just add more breweries.

#67 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 01:08 PM

No doubt.

But all you have to do is notice the Boh logo everywhere you go. T-shirts, car stickers, etc...

It may have gotten to the point where the brand has surpassed the actual beer, and that brand -- Mr. Boh -- is pure Baltimore.

And I would say that the retro beer stuff was a fad and won't last much longer,  but Boh has been "back" for 10 years.

Kinda surprised they haven't opened up a brewing facility in MD...it would at least save them a lot on shipping costs.

Yeah, the logo is a bigger deal locally than the actual beer.

#68 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 01:16 PM

I wish they still offered it, but I won't be joining any letter-writing campaigns to bring it back. 

#69 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,565 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 02:07 PM

How about this. If they don't carry Boh anymore they allow fans to bring it in on their own? Half joking.

#70 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 22 April 2016 - 05:43 AM

No need to dump a really good craft brewery that is somewhat local. Just add more breweries.

Disagree about DFH being a really good craft brewery, and I don't consider Delaware local.  

#71 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 06:18 AM

Disagree about DFH being a really good craft brewery, and I don't consider Delaware local.  

Well it's way better than Devil's Backbone. :P

#72 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 22 April 2016 - 07:09 AM

Well it's way better than Devil's Backbone. :P

Now yes, before no.

#73 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 07:11 AM

Now yes, before no.

What is your issue with Dogfish? Too many hop bombs?

#74 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 22 April 2016 - 07:27 AM

What is your issue with Dogfish? Too many hop bombs?

I mean hops sell, I get that. It's been a while since I've had one but I did always enjoy the 90min IPA.  I do feel like too much of their portfolio is focused on them though.  As big and successful as they are they should have a more rounded selection.  

Found this quote on their website which is another part of the reason I'm not a fan.

Whether it's off ingredients or crazy, made-up styles, you can be sure that a beer from Dogfish will challenged your perceptioons of what beer is supposed to be.

I'm all for trying new beers and new styles, but I feel like they are just coming up with some of this shit simply for the sake of being weird or different.  There was an article written several years ago after Palo Santo Marron came out.   Just talking about the elaborate process they had to go through to find these trees and get the wood and it was a bit much for me.

#75 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 07:56 AM

They do have a good amount of non-IPA's, but their IPA's are their most iconic beers. They have very good stouts for instance. 

Yeah, they do make some weird stuff and that is hit or miss, but some of it is very good, including some non hoppy stuff. 

If you ever get a chance to go one of their brew-pubs, you'll generally find a significant non IPA selection.

• DuffMan likes this

#76 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,555 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 22 April 2016 - 08:15 AM

At the game last night all those stupid trendy beer stands were closed. Luckily I was able to get my Coors Light, available at several stands.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#77 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 22 April 2016 - 08:25 AM

They do have a good amount of non-IPA's, but their IPA's are their most iconic beers. They have very good stouts for instance. 

Yeah, they do make some weird stuff and that is hit or miss, but some of it is very good, including some non hoppy stuff. 

If you ever get a chance to go one of their brew-pubs, you'll generally find a significant non IPA selection.

I'm running a marathon in Rehoboth on Sunday. I'll try and go there for dinner after the race with the fam.

• mweb08 likes this

#78 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 03:39 PM

I'm running a marathon in Rehoboth on Sunday. I'll try and go there for dinner after the race with the fam.

Good luck with the marathon! 

It does look like they have more IPA's than usual now, but they still have some other stuff: http://www.dogfish.c...n-tap/index.htm

#79 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 27 April 2016 - 09:34 AM

Good luck with the marathon! 

It does look like they have more IPA's than usual now, but they still have some other stuff: http://www.dogfish.c...n-tap/index.htm

Race went well!  Attempted to go to the brewpub for dinner, we got there at about 5ish and they told us it was going to be a 30 minute wait.  That wasn't going to fly with three kids with us so we went somewhere else.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#80 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 10:10 PM

Race went well!  Attempted to go to the brewpub for dinner, we got there at about 5ish and they told us it was going to be a 30 minute wait.  That wasn't going to fly with three kids with us so we went somewhere else.

It does get busy during weekends and the summer, and I guess the race brought more people down there.

Ah well. Glad the race went well. 

Where did you go? I know that area pretty well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=