Photo

Penn State: Death Penalty? Ouster from B1G?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
494 replies to this topic

#441 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,465 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 17 January 2015 - 11:45 PM

The BS about the sanctions is due to the NCAA trying to be a substitute for the justice system. 

Agreed. The NCAA felt like it had to make a knee-jerk reaction to satisfy an angry mob, because as hideous as he is, the mob didn't want to wait for Sandusky to get due process.

In terms of his failures-plural regarding this whole mess, I think he was handicapped by the mindset that was normal for people of his generation.

Disagree. Pedophiles have existed for centuries....look at the Catholic Church. Just because it wasn't spoken of until more recently, I don't think that means Paterno was so naïve to not know what a sexual predator is when an incident is described to him. Remember, this is a guy who recruited and coached kids from all walks of life, so it's not like he was sheltered from the evils of the world.

#442 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 January 2015 - 02:16 AM

I didn't justify it.  I said he should've been put on trial if he hadn't croaked first.

However, I was distinguishing between behavior and personal character.  Crimes are about behavior.  I think the big discrepancy between the man's character and behavior is what makes the Paterno part of it a tragedy.  (Just the behavior part, leaving character completely out of it, is what makes for the main tragedy, which is what happened to the kids.)

I agree it's human nature to do what's necessary to protect children from harm.  That's a big part of why I don't think he even knew how to think about it, because if he had, he would've stopped it.  And not even being able to think about it is an aspect of his generation (and older).  They didn't even have the concept of pedophilia in their brain.  Rather, it was just part of a hazy. murky category of "Various creepy things that supposedly exist, but we've never seen them and certainly don't acknowledge them, they're all just ugly rumors from someplace else, not from here."

It seems to me that either you think he was a good person (as demonstrated by everything else about his life) who failed miserably at this thing... or else you think he was some kind of immoral monster who essentially said to himself, "Self, I know little kids are getting raped... but that's fine with me, I'll be sure to let it continue, just so the football program doesn't get nailed for it."    Now, do you really believe it was the latter?  I don't.

BTW, once it all came out, I think he suddenly did realize.  I think that's what killed him.

Don't you think the fact he was in his mid-80s had more to do with it? It's a good narrative, but one that got overblown IMO.

@levineps

#443 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 18 January 2015 - 09:11 AM

To sum up, Reggie Bush is a bigger scumbag than allowing a child rapist to go unchecked for decades.

• mweb08 likes this

@fuzydunlop

#444 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:40 PM

New Criminal Laws, Not Number Of Wins, Define Joe Paterno's Legacy

Paterno's real legacy is that his claimed ignorance of rampant child sexual abuse happening in his team's locker rooms sparked significant overdue legal changes to protect children.

According to the Pennsylvania Family Support Alliance, Paterno would now be a mandated reporter. In 2015 and beyond, Paterno could not claim that he passed his knowledge, or claimed lack thereof, up the chain of command. Everyone in the Penn State football organization with knowledge of Sandusky's evils could be criminally prosecuted had the new law been in effect years ago.

@DJ_McCann

#445 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:41 PM

To sum up, Reggie Bush is a bigger scumbag than allowing a child rapist to go unchecked for decades.

In pro and college sports, gambling is a bigger crime than beating your SO.

@DJ_McCann

#446 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,465 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:46 PM

What prison is Reggie Bush serving 30-60 in?

#447 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:26 PM

What prison is Reggie Bush serving 30-60 in?

You seriously don't get my point?  In terms of NCAA punishment.

@fuzydunlop

#448 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,465 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:41 PM

You seriously don't get my point?  In terms of NCAA punishment.

I know the point you're trying to make, it just don't think it makes any sense. What additional punishment does the NCAA need to give Sandusky at this point? Or the 3 (still living) individuals that knew what he did and covered it up, and will soon face trial for that? That's what our society has a criminal justice system for. The NCAA should stick to enforcing their own rules (something they already do a terrible job of).

#449 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:17 AM

I know the point you're trying to make, it just don't think it makes any sense. What additional punishment does the NCAA need to give Sandusky at this point? Or the 3 (still living) individuals that knew what he did and covered it up, and will soon face trial for that? That's what our society has a criminal justice system for. The NCAA should stick to enforcing their own rules (something they already do a terrible job of).

Dude, you and I aren't talking about the same thing.  I'm talking about the punishments imposed on the schools.  The NCAA punished USC much worse than PSU, after their reversal.  

@fuzydunlop

#450 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:30 AM

Dude, you and I aren't talking about the same thing.  I'm talking about the punishments imposed on the schools.  The NCAA punished USC much worse than PSU, after their reversal.  

Which, assuming both the NCAA and the legal system do their jobs (which in neither case is a given), is how it should be.

@DJ_McCann

#451 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,465 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:02 PM

USC violated NCAA rules. The NCAA punished them. Individuals employed by/associated with PSU broke the law. The law punished them.

#452 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:08 PM

USC violated NCAA rules. The NCAA punished them. Individuals employed by/associated with PSU broke the law. The law punished them.

The NCAA doesn't have rules in place to ban pederasts from using campus facilities to ruin children?  But Reggie Bush got free rent for his family - much worse.  Cool.

@fuzydunlop

#453 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,465 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:13 PM

The NCAA doesn't have rules in place to ban pederasts from using campus facilities to ruin children?  But Reggie Bush got free rent for his family - much worse.  Cool.

No the NCAA doesn't have rules for that. Our society has something better....laws that punish them by making sure they, and any conspirators they may have, rot in prison when caught and convicted. It's a hell of a lot better than a 5 year show-cause, don't you think?

• DJ MC likes this

#454 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:50 PM

No the NCAA doesn't have rules for that. Our society has something better....laws that punish them by making sure they, and any conspirators they may have, rot in prison when caught and convicted. It's a hell of a lot better than a 5 year show-cause, don't you think?

I'm not talking about that, at all.  I'm talking about the NCAA.  Of course Sandusky should be punished by the law.  My entire post was about how ridiculous the NCAA is.  The NCAA punishment of Bush is now much greater than the NCAA punishment of Penn State.  How hard is this to understand?  I never said anything about the criminal law system, nor was I trying to do anything other than be snarky about the NCAA.  So because there are laws in place, criminally, the NCAA shouldn't care?  I honestly cannot for the life of me understand how or why you brought that part of it into this.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

@fuzydunlop

#455 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:01 PM

I'm not talking about that, at all.  I'm talking about the NCAA.  Of course Sandusky should be punished by the law.  My entire post was about how ridiculous the NCAA is.  The NCAA punishment of Bush is now much greater than the NCAA punishment of Penn State.  How hard is this to understand?  I never said anything about the criminal law system, nor was I trying to do anything other than be snarky about the NCAA.  So because there are laws in place, criminally, the NCAA shouldn't care?  I honestly cannot for the life of me understand how or why you brought that part of it into this.

Because outright criminal activity is not under the purview of the NCAA, and they have no authority to act. Breaking their own rules, which involve competitive advantage, is something where they have authority.

Like I said above, it's gambling versus beating your SO. The former is a major violation of the NCAA rules, while the latter is a criminal violation. The NCAA is going to offer a much harsher punishment on the gambler versus the wife-beater, whereas the criminal justice system will go after the assault and essentially leave the gambler alone.

@DJ_McCann

#456 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:07 PM

Do you people work for Goodell?  What you are saying is insane.

This is the equivalent of Gordon getting suspended 4 games for weed, and Rice getting 2 for beating his wife. 

@fuzydunlop

#457 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,171 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:15 PM

Do you people work for Goodell?  What you are saying is insane.

This is the equivalent of Gordon getting suspended 4 games for weed, and Rice getting 2 for beating his wife. 

Count me among the insane.

#458 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,555 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:21 PM

Well what about when Jameis Winston was stealing crab legs or whatever.  That's criminal.  Did the NCAA intervene there or was it just FSU?  I really can't remember.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#459 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,465 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:50 PM

The NCAA is certainly deserving of derision, and if you've read my comments about them over the years, then you'd know that I am one of their biggest detractors on this board. But what you are advocating is that they get involved in punishing Penn State for a criminal matter. I'd like to see them clean up their own house before they assume responsibility for matters that fall under the purvey of our justice system.

#460 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,465 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:54 PM

Well what about when Jameis Winston was stealing crab legs or whatever.  That's criminal.  Did the NCAA intervene there or was it just FSU?  I really can't remember.

No one intervenes in those matters, not even the Tallahassee police.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=