Photo

Penn State: Death Penalty? Ouster from B1G?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
494 replies to this topic

#481 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:29 AM

How about you just go with whatever point you want to make based on the answer you presumed I'd give. I'm going to bow out of this one anyway because I can't take you people seriously with this theoretical nonsense. Sure, we don't absolutely know with 100% certainty, but it's pretty damn obvious and you guys know that. I mean, I can jump out of a tall building tomorrow(taller than the one Omar jumped out of), but it's just theoretical what will happen, right? Some miracle could happen and I could survive.

In fact, I think that one of the sad ironies in this whole mess is that if Paterno had done the right thing immediately, he would have been hailed as a hero and the football program would have felt hardly any impact. Not saying that I personally would have labeled him a hero, just for doing what any decent human should have done. But I think that's what the public perception would have been....this man, whom we always believed was a man of principle and values, just validated that belief by turning in his most trusted and accomplished assistant to the authorities, rather than look the other way from atrocious crimes. Like I said above, I think the biggest on-field impact would simply have been having to replace Sandusky sooner, by two years if the Freeh Report is accurate. Perhaps a couple of recruits who Sandusky himself was recruiting might have felt uncomfortable and gone elsewhere, but I think they could have easily made up for that.

So you disagree with this?

@DJ_McCann

#482 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:42 AM

It's really not a maybe. The only real question is how much it would have affected it. And the best motive for nothing being done to put a stop to what was going on was because they were afraid of the negative effects. So even if you want to argue that nothing negative would have come from it, they weren't so sure, which affected their decision making.

If the core thing is as simple as you say it was, then why did they let Sandusky have a key to the showers and access to boys after he was separated from his job?   If the issue was what you assert, then after they separated Sandusky from the football program, why  didn't they make sure he wasn't on campus, wasn't given free reign to use *football program facilities* for his raping, and why didn't they pull strings to make sure his connection with area boys camps (in which he traded on his Penn St connection) stopped?  If it's as simple as you think, why did they get rid of Sandusky but then actively keep that time bomb ticking by encouraging the list bombastic leakable secrets to get longer and longer and longer for year after year after year?

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#483 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,676 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 10:41 PM

CNN: Sandusky victim: Paterno told me to drop abuse accusation

http://www.cnn.com/2...rno-penn-state/

#484 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 06 May 2016 - 10:51 PM

Bring back the statue!

#485 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 11:43 PM

Paterno may have been a great guy otherwise, but this is pretty hard to look past imo.

#486 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 11:06 AM

It's worse.

NBC: As Many As Six Penn State Coaches Witnessed Jerry Sandusky Molesting Children

@DJ_McCann

#487 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 11:08 AM

Weren't you the Penn St defender when this all broke.

Disgusting. And you can't tell me that most everyone associated with that program for 30+ years didn't know Sandusky was a child predator.

#488 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 07 May 2016 - 11:33 AM

I can see hearing about what happened and not saying anything to protect your own ass.

But to know about that AND not fire the guy? Unreal. That's basically sanctioning child rape.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#489 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 11:51 AM

Weren't you the Penn St defender when this all broke.

No, I was "innocent until proven guilty" before we knew that, you know, Paterno was guilty.

@DJ_McCann

#490 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 12:03 PM

If you say so.

#491 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 12:08 PM

I can see hearing about what happened and not saying anything to protect your own ass.

But to know about that AND not fire the guy? Unreal. That's basically sanctioning child rape.

I can't really see the first one either.

And protect your ass is certainly an interesting choice of words here.

#492 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 12:09 PM

Beyond not firing him, he retires in '99 and you continue to allow access to the campus and program

#493 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 07 May 2016 - 12:19 PM

I can't really see the first one either.

And protect your ass is certainly an interesting choice of words here.

Yea should have gone with a different term now that you mention it.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#494 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 05:58 PM

As a Pennsylvanian, I have to say that the loss of hero status for both Joe Paterno and Bill Cosby has been pretty devastating for me.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#495 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 06:04 PM

As a Pennsylvanian, I have to say that the loss of hero status for both Joe Paterno and Bill Cosby has been pretty devastating for me.

I bet... sorry about that... I'm sure it feels bad...

• SammyBirdland likes this

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=