229 replies to this topic

#181 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:49 PM

You know how they have "Kings Court" for Felix in Seattle? If Urrutia sticks around, someone should denote a section of the blechers "Area 51"
@BSLMikeRandall

#182 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:29 AM

Congrats to him for his first hit and RBI!

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#183 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,279 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:27 AM

11 for his first 33.... the next thing to see imo, is for him to start turning on pitches inside, and finding some gaps.

#184 BSLMattJergensen

BSLMattJergensen

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:36 AM

http://www.masnsport...dd-pitcher.html

#185 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:19 AM

Even though the average wasn't bad, he was completely overmatched at the big league level. Disappointing, because I was one of his biggest fans in the minors.

#186 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,279 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:42 AM

Even though the average wasn't bad, he was completely overmatched at the big league level. Disappointing, because I was one of his biggest fans in the minors.

I don't think what we saw was surprising. Tucker told us several times he would have trouble vs. off-speed stuff. I know you pointed to a slow bat, I don't think that was an issue. I saw a guy with good plate coverage, that would hang in vs. lefties. We didn't see him pull anything, or even show gap power... but I'm not sure that means that ability isn't there. Like you said, it was his first 50+ ab's in the Majors and he was over-matched. Just trying to keep his head above water.

While 26, he's still raw from the time missed and lack of US pro experience. He accomplished a lot this year. Ultimately I think his ceiling is 4th OF, weak DH... but at no cost, that does have some value.

I think next Spring, we will have a better understanding of what exactly he might provide. It will be important for him to work hard this Winter. Base running has to improve. Defense has to improve. We will see if the pitch recognition improves. It has to for him to provide anything.

Maybe Winter Ball?

• BobPhelan likes this

#187 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:48 AM

Spot on Chris. Maybe if he hits the weights over the winter it would do him some good.

#188 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:52 PM

What did you see him do in the minors that didn't translate? It seemed like not many people expected much out of him.

#189 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:48 PM

It's nice to have cheap guys like him as minor league depth. I doubt he becomes much more than that.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#190 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:43 PM

What did you see him do in the minors that didn't translate? It seemed like not many people expected much out of him.

I think due to the lack of minor league talent, he's been seriously overrated by some people. He's far from the big Cuban guys, but he's a decent OBP/hit tool guy that doesn't hit for enough power to play a corner OF spot but isn't good enough to play CF. Think LJ Hoes basically.

A plus though...he is really good friends with Jose Abreu. Maybe that helps us out this offseason somehow?

• BobPhelan likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#191 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,279 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:28 PM

MASN: Updating Urrutia
http://www.masnsport...---part-ii.html

#192 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,936 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:54 PM

He's probably got kids younger than most of the players out there!

#193 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,279 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:28 AM

MASN: Urrutia's bat stays hot in Arizona
http://www.masnsport...ball-notes.html

#194 1970

All-Star

• Members
  • Pip
  • 740 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:17 PM

Still think it would be a mistake to go into ST with plans of him being the starting LF or DH versus RHP. I hope he proves me wrong.
  • BSLChrisStoner, Greg Pappas, Mackus and 1 other like this

#195 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,777 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:17 PM

Still think it would be a mistake to go into ST with plans of him being the starting LF or DH versus RHP. I hope he proves me wrong.

Agreed. He showed no ability whatsoever in his stint in Baltimore to turn and drive the ball. His one XBH was a ball that was misplayed by the RFer in KC and ended up a triple. Should have been a single and an error for the two extra bases. Basically everything he hit seemed to be ground balls and weak pop outs the opposite way, occasionally finding the hole between 3B and SS.

You've basically have a player who has very little to no power, isn't an OBP walk machine, isn't very fast or athletic, but can probably hit for an OK average. He'd be a fine bench player/ 4th OFer, but there's no way you can pencil him in to get regular ABs.

#196 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,936 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:39 PM

Agreed. He showed no ability whatsoever in his stint in Baltimore to turn and drive the ball. His one XBH was a ball that was misplayed by the RFer in KC and ended up a triple. Should have been a single and an error for the two extra bases. Basically everything he hit seemed to be ground balls and weak pop outs the opposite way, occasionally finding the hole between 3B and SS.

You've basically have a player who has very little to no power, isn't an OBP walk machine, isn't very fast or athletic, but can probably hit for an OK average. He'd be a fine bench player/ 4th OFer, but there's no way you can pencil him in to get regular ABs.

He'd be a fine bench player if he could play defense, but I don't think he's really even a suitable corner OF, yet alone an option for CF that you'd really prefer for your 4th OF.

#197 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,279 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:25 AM

MASN: Quick update on Urrutia
http://www.masnsport...on-urrutia.html

#198 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators