Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 12:42 PM

Brook Fordyce is for real

-RShack c. 2001

Haha... 

There *is* somebody you can get me on, fair and square... but it's not him...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#62 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 12:43 PM

What are we defining as 'real'?   In my eyes, 'real' for Rickard is usable.

He's a Rule 5 pick that had 89 ab's above AA before this year.

The defensive metrics currently hate him...  but three things there.  1) Most people say even a full-season of defensive metrics only tell you so much... so 30 some games can definitely be highly volatile.  2) He played more CF, and RF in the minors than LF.  3) He did have some troubles the first week or so defensively, but has looked pretty strong in LF the last week plus. Better range, and routes.

Bottomline with this defense... I'm not sure he will be the 'elite' glove he was advertised as, but his metrics should normalize as the season progresses.

I thought he was going to be a slap hitter only...  in his first 130 +/- ML at-bats, he has 9 xbh's....(on-pace for 14 homers) slightly more pop than I expected.

I was also surprised by how quickly he took over the leadoff spot. Thought they would use him 9th or so, and lower the pressure on him.

The .303 on-base % (including 4 bb's to 20 k's) needs to improve... but I guess I just can't get too down on him. 

He could have been a complete disaster, and instead he's shown an ability to compete at the level.

I think Nickle saying he's basically David Lough is very fair... but that's a guy that could start for you, in the right circumstances for awhile. Rickard can start for this team in '16, if the recent signs with the glove continue, given the strength of the O's lineup otherwise.  (Always going to be a player you are looking to improve upon though.)

OTOH, I maintain that Reimold's the 2nd best all-around OF on the roster, and if Reimold eventually eats into his playing time, that won't bother me.

#63 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 12:45 PM

Too elaborate, he doesn't really pass the eyeball test. I'm not sure what you guys are seeing. He does grind a lot of ABs and takes a solid approach to the plate. I'll give him that. Defensively though, he's still not taking efficient routes and his transfers to throwing combined with a below avg arm make him a poor defender. With improved route efficiency he might get up near being an avg defender but the arm still isn't going to play well. Baserunning is avg too. Has good overall speed but isn't a real base stealing threat.

#64 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 12:47 PM

What are we defining as 'real'?  

I mean an honest-to-God ML ballplayer... not just a spare part off the bench... 

I dunno what anybody else means....

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#65 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 12:48 PM

Haha...

There *is* somebody you can get me on, fair and square... but it's not him...

You were a Pie guy weren't you. Lough for sure.

Jerry Hairston
Luis Matos
Larry Bigbie
Brandon Fahey
Henry Urrutia

How many of these guys had it

#66 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 12:50 PM

Too elaborate, he doesn't really pass the eyeball test. I'm not sure what you guys are seeing. He does grind a lot of ABs and takes a solid approach to the plate. I'll give him that. Defensively though, he's still not taking efficient routes and his transfers to throwing combined with a below avg arm make him a poor defender. With improved route efficiency he might get up near being an avg defender but the arm still isn't going to play well. Baserunning is avg too. Has good overall speed but isn't a real base stealing threat.

He's clearly been taking better routes, and eating up a lot of ground the last week plus. Your evaluation above was definitely true to start the year though (and the arm strength won't change).

The metrics show him to be a horrible defender right now.. doubt that they will at season end.

#67 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 12:51 PM

Jerry Hairston
Luis Matos
Larry Bigbie
Brandon Fahey
Henry Urrutia

Jerry and Matos for me.

Sure Bigbie for someone.

Nobody for Fahey, and Urrutia.

#68 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 12:53 PM

He's clearly been taking better routes, and eating up a lot of ground the last week plus. Your evaluation above was definitely true to start the year though (and the arm strength won't change).

The metrics show him to be a horrible defender right now.. doubt that they will at season end.

He's improved somewhat but it's gone from poor to below avg. I'm more comfortable with Reimold defensively and he's never been known as a good defender.

#69 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 12:59 PM

Jerry Hairston
Luis Matos
Larry Bigbie
Brandon Fahey
Henry Urrutia

I liked Felix Pie and I still do... the guy is a hoot... he just needed Crow as his roommate...

The rest of your list misses the one guy you can nail me on...

ps:  I never thought Bigbie was special... but I did like the way he looked *exactly* like Chipper at the plate... until he swung   ;-)

#70 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 01:20 PM

Jerry Hairston
Luis Matos
Larry Bigbie
Brandon Fahey
Henry Urrutia

I think Lough has what it takes to be a coach and/or an announcer... we also got our money's worth...

As for Pie... lest we forget....

Plus...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2YrgkQ82ls

And my favorite... both at the beginning (when he comes in to tell his P to quit screwing around), and at the end (when he's ready to kill his LF'er)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZCaiWAfpxU&feature=player_embedded

#71 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 01:32 PM

If there's any player I'm going to be patient with, it's Rickard. He passes the eyeball test to me.
He's fine in a David Lough 4th OFer role. Again, he's a negative WAR guy and we've probably seen the best he can contribute offensively.
You keep saying he's a negative WAR guy. It's getting to the point where you're going to need to check his WAR every day if you want to keep misusing this stat on his small sample size. It's currently still true, at least for defense, but BBRef has moved him into the positive for oWAR.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#72 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 01:46 PM

He's simply not a regular. You should be able to come to that conclusion using any measurement tool. He's battled back the last few weeks but is still underwhelming.

I mean what are you really hoping for here. That he improves to league avg defensively and keeps his head above water offensively. There is no real upside here.

#73 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 02:00 PM

He's simply not a regular. You should be able to come to that conclusion using any measurement tool. He's battled back the last few weeks but is still underwhelming.

I mean what are you really hoping for here. That he improves to league avg defensively and keeps his head above water offensively. There is no real upside here.

Do you feel similarly about Jonathan Schoop?

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#74 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 02:31 PM

Do you feel similarly about Jonathan Schoop?

What part? Schoop certainly has an upside of an above avg regular. I dont think he gets there, but the ceiling is significantly higher.

#75 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 14 May 2016 - 03:02 PM

I liked Felix Pie and I still do... the guy is a hoot... he just needed Crow as his roommate...

The rest of your list misses the one guy you can nail me on...

ps:  I never thought Bigbie was special... but I did like the way he looked *exactly* like Chipper at the plate... until he swung   :wink:

The Rule Fiver who did this his first year?

2001 24 BAL AL 73 246 225 27 53 10 0 15 36 0 1 17 39 .236 .301 .480 .781 106 108 7 4 0 0 0 D7/3 

@DJ_McCann

#76 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 03:24 PM

2001 24 BAL AL 73 246 225 27 53 10 0 15 36 0 1 17 39 .236 .301 .480 .781 106 108 7 4 0 0 0 D7/3 

Currently a Single A hitting coach.

• Markus likes this

#77 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 03:25 PM

I mean how much better did you really expect Gibbons to be. 

#78 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 04:02 PM

Nope... not him...

SG would have got it right away....

#79 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 18 May 2016 - 11:05 PM

I don't see this Rickard thing working out. I guess they are giving him time to make adjustments and he has looked better in the field but I'd rather see Reimold out there and at the top of the order. Anecdotal but I think Kim has looked a lot better in LF than in ST. 

#80 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 07:37 AM

Jerry Hairston - He had everybody fooled with a 16 year ML career!
Luis Matos
Larry Bigbie
Brandon Fahey
Henry Urrutia

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=