#1 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:52 AM

The Sun: Prospect Xu Guiyuan has Orioles in leadoff spot as baseball eyes China market
http://www.baltimore...0108-story.html

Deeming baseball a "bourgeois indulgence for the rich," Mao Zedong, China's longtime communist leader, banned the game in 1966 during his Cultural Revolution.

Fifty years later, even as the popularity of other Western sports such as basketball booms in mainland China, baseball remains largely unfamiliar. But the Baltimore Orioles are in the leadoff spot for a mounting effort by Major League Baseball to revive the game there.

• BSLChrisStoner and RShack like this
@DJ_McCann

#2 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 05:38 PM

China's got a whole lot of people... which means they have a whole lot of potential baseball talent... but it'll take a couple generations before they know what they're doing...

I remember when the Ruskies were making an effort because of the Olympics... the American coach of their national team said they'd made a lot of progress in a short time... but he also said that any decent American HS team could clean their clock... (his phrase, not mine...)

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#3 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 January 2016 - 06:19 PM

I said we should try to get into China before everyone else years ago.

#4 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 11:12 AM

The SunChapter 1: Chinese Orioles signee Xu Guiyuan will arrive with intrigue

From China to Birdland

Arriving at Orioles minor league spring training this week, Xu Guiyuan, a 20-year-old left-handed-hitting first baseman, is trying to become the first player from mainland China to make it to the big leagues. He’s already the first player signed from one of the major league's three youth developmental centers in China, a country that American baseball officials consider fertile ground to grow their sport. He has adopted the nickname "Itchy Shoe," a reference to his hero, Ichiro Suzuki, and the phonetic pronunciation of "Xu." The Baltimore Sun's Jeff Barker is following Xu's journey with daily reports and videos: Can he hit American pitching, much less navigate the pressure and cultural curveballs that accompany his 9,000-mile trip? Barker is involved in a documentary chronicling Xu and Major League Baseball’s China push.

@DJ_McCann

#5 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 11:44 AM

Meanwhile....the Orioles continue to ignore scouting the countries where actual talented baseball players play.
@BSLMikeRandall

#6 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 11:53 AM

Meanwhile....the Orioles continue to ignore scouting the countries where actual talented baseball players play.

Yeah, that seems like a necessary comment for this thread.

"Hey, the team's trying something different, and is at the forefront of a major effort by the sport as a whole, but they also aren't doing exactly what I want them to, so fuck 'em."

@DJ_McCann

#7 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,576 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 12:04 PM

"Hey, the team's trying something different, and is at the forefront of a major effort by the sport as a whole, but they also aren't doing exactly what I want them to, so fuck 'em."

Right maybe they'll make a G rated Disney movie about our efforts in China. Because thats what it's all about.

And not, you know, about winning baseball games.

• Mike in STL likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#8 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 12:11 PM

Right maybe they'll make a G rated Disney movie about our efforts in China. Because thats what it's all about.

And not, you know, about winning baseball games.

K

@DJ_McCann

#9 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 01:03 PM

Pretty much.

The Orioles operate within a tight budget. History has taught us that the most bang for your buck is signing Cuban free agents for middle of the road money and get All-Star caliber production.

The Orioles ignore this to be trail blazers instead.

They want to do something different? Find some players with plate discipline for once. Hire folks who can develop young arms. Not ruin them and allow them to be Cy Young winners elsewhere.
@BSLMikeRandall

#10 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 01:03 PM

^^^^^^

When They find that in China let me know.
@BSLMikeRandall

#11 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 01:07 PM

Pretty much.

The Orioles operate within a tight budget. History has taught us that the most bang for your buck is signing Cuban free agents for middle of the road money and get All-Star caliber production.

The Orioles ignore this to be trail blazers instead.

They want to do something different? Find some players with plate discipline for once. Hire folks who can develop young arms. Not ruin them and allow them to be Cy Young winners elsewhere.

I didn't realize you knew how much they were spending to find players in China. Would you care to share that information with the rest of the class?

@DJ_McCann

#12 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 08 March 2016 - 01:46 PM

I'm not sure that signing Cuban free agents is getting the most "bang for your buck" at all.

#13 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,598 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 08 March 2016 - 01:48 PM

Please.  If there was an influx of talent in China the Yankees and Dodgers would have been there already.

• Mike in STL likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#14 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,598 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 01:49 PM

How many Dominican players have the Orioles ever signed as international FAs?  Venezuelan?  Cuban?  

@bopper33

#15 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,576 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 02:00 PM

The Orioles do deserve some props for leading the charge in China. Just by sheer population alone, there has to be a some MLB quality talent there. Hopefully the Orioles blazing a trail earns them some good will and when players are ready to sign with MLB teams, the Orioles are at the top of the list. But, we have to be willing to pay those guys, agree to their physicals, etc. And when other teams catch on to China, will the O's do what it takes to sign the best amateur talent? They haven't done that anywhere else.

Meanwhile, the best players are coming from Latin America and they've done little to nothing of note there. Players like Sano ($3.15 mil) were bargains -- low risk signings.

Yet the Orioles don't blink an eye signing mediocre talent for that money and more.

They definitely don't maximize potential per dollar they spend.

• Mike in STL likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#16 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 08 March 2016 - 02:03 PM

They won't do it but this is the year that you go out and spend all of your international bonus pool allotment.

According to Baseball America, 11 teams cannot sign pool-eligible players for more than $300,000 this year.

The Diamondbacks, Red Sox, Rays, Yankees and Angels are serving their 2nd year of their penalty.

The Cubs, Reds, Giants, Royals and Dodgers cannot sign anyone for over $300,000 for this signing period (2016) and the next (2017). The Blue Jays cannot sign anyone over $300K for 2016.

That leaves 19 teams that can either: A- Use all of their pool money (O's unlikely) B- Use a portion of their pool money (O's likely) or C- Blow through their pool allotment and face a penalty for 2 season (O's incredibly unlikely).

AFAIK, the 2016 international bonus pools have not yet been released but they should soon. The Phillies are in a position to have the top bonus pool for 2016. According to BA reports, the Braves, Cardinals and Nationals are expected to blow past their pools (which includes signing young Cubans under 23 years old). The Rangers, Twins and Astros could also do the same.

Frankly, this year or the next year is when the Orioles should just make a huge push and go up and over their international pool (and pay the tax) when the market and available teams to sign is low. There's a big opportunity for them but unfortunately, given their history, they won't.

• You Play to Win the Game and Mike in STL like this

#17 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 02:06 PM

I didn't realize you knew how much they were spending to find players in China. Would you care to share that information with the rest of the class?

Anytime they spend in China that isn't being spent in Latin countries is too much time.
@BSLMikeRandall

#18 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 02:18 PM

I'm not sure that signing Cuban free agents is getting the most "bang for your buck" at all.

You wouldn't want Yasiel Puig for $6M a year? You wouldn't want Aroldis Chapman for $5M per? Ok.
@BSLMikeRandall

#19 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 02:28 PM

How good are the Chinese at baseball?

http://www.baseballa...mproving-14808/

"In the other dugout, China, whose three-hole hitter, second baseman Lei Li, weighs 140 pounds. Lefthander Xin Li, the Chinese starting pitcher, parked his fastball at 78-83 mph. Ray Chang, a 29-year-old third baseman who hit .241/.304/.271 in 89 games for Minnesota’s Triple-A Rochester club last year, is their ringer, playing shortstop and batting cleanup."

"The game even had the shenanigans of a game between the Globetrotters and the Generals. In the second inning, Fujia Chu had second base stolen after a pitch got past Cuban catcher Eriel Sanchez. Yet despite the Spanish-to-Chinese language barrier, the Cuban infielders gesticulated to Chu that it was a foul ball, so Chu started walking back to first base. Once Chu was caught between second and first, Cuban second baseman Jose Fernandez tagged him out."

"For China to start producing major league prospects, however, might take another 10 years. Or it could take 20 years. Or it might never become a fruitful source of talent for MLB. It’s certainly not there yet, but progress is being made."

The ace of the national team barely throws 80mph. So who are they hitting against? It's a giant waste of time being there until maybe the next decade.
@BSLMikeRandall

#20 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,598 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 02:38 PM

Their clean up hitter had a .575 OPS in AAA.

Agree with Mike. Colossal waste of time and money. Par for the course.
  • Mike in STL likes this

@bopper33

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=