#201 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,360 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 31 January 2017 - 11:20 AM

The Gaddy twins have announced they're sticking with Maryland. HUGE news. They'll add a ton of talent to the defensive line.

• BSLChrisStoner and Mike B like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#202 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,398 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 11:37 AM

The Gaddy twins have announced they're sticking with Maryland. HUGE news. They'll add a ton of talent to the defensive line.

That's awesome... I now feel really good about the class.

#203 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,100 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 12:05 PM

How much of the high ranking for our class is due to the quantity perhaps moreso than the quality?

I know we've got a nice cache of 4-stars coming in, and that's great, but we also have a class that's almost 30 players compared to many other schools that are in the teens or low 20s.  Most the overall rankings sites I can quickly look up have some sort of a formula of X points for 5 stars, Y points for 4 stars, and Z points for 3 stars.  If we've got a handful of 4s and then a ton of 3s, is it that much better than perhaps some previous classes where we've actually landed a 5 star and some other 4s but maybe didn't have the depth? 

In general, how much does it matter on the field if players 50 through 85 are better than in previous years but the top ten or so recruits coming in each year aren't dramatically higher rated?

#204 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 31 January 2017 - 01:08 PM

Basically, sounds like the Gaddy's never had a "commitable offer" from Florida....or at least not for both of them, and in this case the two players truly are a package deal. Also sounds like the Terps have a shot to flip their HS teammate, 3-star WR Tahj Capehart.

#205 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 01:11 PM

How much of the high ranking for our class is due to the quantity perhaps moreso than the quality?

I know we've got a nice cache of 4-stars coming in, and that's great, but we also have a class that's almost 30 players compared to many other schools that are in the teens or low 20s.  Most the overall rankings sites I can quickly look up have some sort of a formula of X points for 5 stars, Y points for 4 stars, and Z points for 3 stars.  If we've got a handful of 4s and then a ton of 3s, is it that much better than perhaps some previous classes where we've actually landed a 5 star and some other 4s but maybe didn't have the depth? 

In general, how much does it matter on the field if players 50 through 85 are better than in previous years but the top ten or so recruits coming in each year aren't dramatically higher rated?

It's both. Volume alone does improve your overall ranking. But MD has traditionally had some 2-star and unrated players in its classes. Not this time (at least after Doerer flipped Sunday, but he's just a kicker too).

Recruiting/projecting is still an inexact science, so the more scholarship-level players you can bring in to compete, the better off you generally will be.

#206 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,655 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 31 January 2017 - 04:50 PM

Given the lack of talent and depth on the DLine last year, this news makes the class.  The Gaddy's backing out would have really hurt.  Nice job by DJ and the staff.

Maryland has to build both sides of the line in order to compete in the B1G

@mikeghg

#207 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 05:20 PM

I don't follow the UMD nearly as closely as some of you guys... but this class strikes me as a really big fucking deal for the Twerps...  a really big deal...

Am I over-stating it due to my ignorance?

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#208 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,547 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 31 January 2017 - 05:23 PM

I don't follow the UMD nearly as closely as some of you guys... but this class strikes me as a really big fucking deal for the Twerps... a really big deal...

No. But in this conference, we've got to do it again for another couple years. I fully believe in Durkin. May be premature, but my biggest fear is him not being around long enough to see it through.

#209 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 06:49 PM

I don't follow the UMD nearly as closely as some of you guys... but this class strikes me as a really big fucking deal for the Twerps...  a really big deal...

This class has the potential to be Top 20, so considering how they have recruited in the past and their mediocre-to-poor showings on the field, that is a pretty big deal.

I've long believed MD should have done better than it used to, just by the number of good players from the area year-after-year. They just needed a coach who could connect with them and sell them on building something special at home, and now they have one. Of course it doesn't hurt that they are also in a higher-profile football conference and have the money to upgrade their facilities to a more competitive level. Hope that progress on the new Cole Field House is at the point where recruits can walk through it by the fall, and really get a sense of what it will be when they come in 2018.

#210 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,360 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:07 AM

National Signing Day is here.

4-star CB Tariq Castro-Fields will announce his commitment at 2:00 today. The Terps have made an excellent late push for him, and have essentially pulled even with Penn State in this race. It's anybody's guess, but Maryland is trending upward. Can you picture a cornerback trio of JC Jackson, Deon Jones, and Castro-Fields? Wow.

3-star WR Tahj Capehart is another guy to keep your eyes on. As Mike mentioned above, he is high school teammates with the Gaddy twins. Very good chance that the Terps flip him from Virginia Tech.

I'll have an updated three-deep depth chart projection up later today, after all LOIs are in.

@BSLZackKiesel

#211 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,360 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:17 AM

C Johnny Jordan (Washington, D.C.) is the first to get his LOI faxed in. Will almost definitely redshirt this season behind Brendan Moore and Quarvez Boulware.

@BSLZackKiesel

#212 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,360 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:30 AM

QB Kasim Hill makes it official. The Terps have their signal-caller of the future.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#213 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,360 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:40 AM

QB Kasim Hill makes it official. The Terps have their signal-caller of the future.

As you'll see on my projected depth chart later today, I expect Hill to redshirt this season. Just way too difficult for a freshman who's not enrolling early to get enough of a grasp on the offense to be able to run it (especially when you're opening your season in Austin against the Longhorns). But he'll compete with Caleb Henderson and the rest of the QBs in 2018 for the job as a redshirt freshman.

@BSLZackKiesel

#214 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,360 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:41 AM

TE Andrew Park (Burke, VA) makes it official. Will almost definitely redshirt this season behind Derrick Hayward, Avery Edwards, and Andrew Isaacs.

@BSLZackKiesel

#215 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,398 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:42 AM

I'll be very surprised if Hill doesn't get on the field at some point during the year...only way I see a RS is if there is full health and performance in-front.

#216 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,360 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:44 AM

I'll be very surprised if Hill doesn't get on the field at some point during the year...only way I see a RS is if there is full health and performance in-front.

A lot of this depends on how good Henderson can be, for sure.

@BSLZackKiesel

#217 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:58 AM

Tahj Capehart flips from VT and officially signs with MD.  Pretty nice and unexpected last-minute get.

#218 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,360 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:07 AM

OL Marcus Minor (Hyattsville, MD) makes it official. He'll probably redshirt this season, but could compete for the LG job.

@BSLZackKiesel

#219 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,360 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:08 AM

Tahj Capehart flips from VT and officially signs with MD.  Pretty nice and unexpected last-minute get.

Yep, will be a nice fit at slot receiver for the Terps. Might get some early playing time behind Jacquille Veii and DJ Turner.

@BSLZackKiesel

#220 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,360 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:23 AM

RB Anthony McFarland makes it official. He'll get immediate playing time at running back, and perhaps some at slot receiver/H-Back.

@BSLZackKiesel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=