272 replies to this topic

#181 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:02 PM

They're really dragging this out, assisted by the always-unreliable D.C. Metro. Some think he's heading to CP to commit on campus. We'll soon see...

Are you sure he's not in a white Bronco?

#182 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,361 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:09 PM

Now he's at an airport. I give up.

@BSLZackKiesel

#183 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,361 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:24 PM

TERPS!!!!!!!

@BSLZackKiesel

#184 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,361 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:28 PM

With this commitment, the Terps have 3 of the top 5 recruits from the state of Maryland for 2017.

• clapdiddy likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#185 clapdiddy

clapdiddy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:53 PM

With this commitment, the Terps have 3 of the top 5 recruits from the state of Maryland for 2017.

When was the last time you could say this?

#186 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,361 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 27 January 2017 - 01:01 PM

Terps jump to the #16 class in the nation. Still #4 in the B1G, just behind Penn State.

@BSLZackKiesel

#187 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 01:21 PM

Terps jump to the #16 class in the nation. Still #4 in the B1G, just behind Penn State.

Werent they #12 or something at one point?

@BSLMikeRandall

#188 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,361 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 27 January 2017 - 02:27 PM

Werent they #12 or something at one point?

Everyone jumps around at the beginning of the year, when one commit can bump you up 30 spots. So maybe, I don't remember. Can't take too much stock into rankings until the new year hits.

They still have a shot at a Top 15 class. Still some undecided 4-stars out there who they're going after hard.

• Mike in STL likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#189 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 01:43 PM

Based on what I've seen at TT, the McFarland commitment could have a big influence (a positive one) on Tariq Castro-Fields' decision.

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLZackKiesel like this

#190 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,408 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 09:27 AM

Testudo Times: Anthony McFarland’s commitment makes Maryland football’s backfield even scarier
http://www.testudoti...n-running-backs

Nice piece here.

Have to love the trio of Johnson, Harrison, and McFarland. Interested to see what happens with Funk, Wilson, Fleet Davis, and Leake. Two of them as the 4th, and 5th... two available for position changes.

#191 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,361 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 29 January 2017 - 10:05 AM

Testudo Times: Anthony McFarland’s commitment makes Maryland football’s backfield even scarier
http://www.testudoti...n-running-backs

Nice piece here.

Have to love the trio of Johnson, Harrison, and McFarland. Interested to see what happens with Funk, Wilson, Fleet Davis, and Leake. Two of them as the 4th, and 5th... two available for position changes.

I think you'll see McFarland in a sort of scat-back role next season. Walt Bell likes to move his slot receivers into the backfield at times and have them carry the ball to the outside. Jacquille Veii will certainly be able to do that really well as a former RB, but I see McFarland as playing that type of role with him next season.

As for the others, Funk and Wilson are pure power backs. They'll have a role on this team in short-yardage situations (similar to Kenneth Goins' role last season). Fleet-Davis and Leake probably redshirt next season. Leake is a similar guy to McFarland, very good pass-catcher with good agility and moves to the outside. Fleet-Davis is more of a big, between-the-tackles guy. Leake did play some CB in high school, not sure if the coaching staff would consider a position change or not.

@BSLZackKiesel

#192 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,408 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 10:28 AM

I think you'll see McFarland in a sort of scat-back role next season. Walt Bell likes to move his slot receivers into the backfield at times and have them carry the ball to the outside. Jacquille Veii will certainly be able to do that really well as a former RB, but I see McFarland as playing that type of role with him next season.

As for the others, Funk and Wilson are pure power backs. They'll have a role on this team in short-yardage situations (similar to Kenneth Goins' role last season). Fleet-Davis and Leake probably redshirt next season. Leake is a similar guy to McFarland, very good pass-catcher with good agility and moves to the outside. Fleet-Davis is more of a big, between-the-tackles guy. Leake did play some CB in high school, not sure if the coaching staff would consider a position change or not.

Funk / Wilson = Goins is what I've envisioned as well... think they need both Funk / Wilson in that role, or do you think Funk could move to Safety?

Did Fleet-Davis only play RB in HS?

#193 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 03:26 PM

Assuming the current class mostly sticks, I'm pretty happy with the potential and depth of all the position units on the team EXCEPT for the DL and LB....and unfortunately those two units look to be in pretty sorry shape right now. It could take as many as two recruiting cycles, and another year or two of development, to get them up to par. So in the meantime, I'd certainly be an advocate of any positional switch that could bolster those groups. Not sure Funk has the ability to add enough weight/muscle on his frame to make the switch to LB, but it's worth a shot if the coaches think he could....after getting some early work last season he didn't really figure in to the RB rotation.

One ray of hope is that DL is supposed to be a strength on the local recruiting scene for 2018.

#194 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,408 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 04:48 PM

Assuming the current class mostly sticks, I'm pretty happy with the potential and depth of all the position units on the team EXCEPT for the DL and LB....and unfortunately those two units look to be in pretty sorry shape right now. It could take as many as two recruiting cycles, and another year or two of development, to get them up to par. So in the meantime, I'd certainly be an advocate of any positional switch that could bolster those groups. Not sure Funk has the ability to add enough weight/muscle on his frame to make the switch to LB, but it's worth a shot if the coaches think he could....after getting some early work last season he didn't really figure in to the RB rotation.

One ray of hope is that DL is supposed to be a strength on the local recruiting scene for 2018.

I really hope the Gaddy twins come to MD. I'll really be excited by the class if so.

@AndrewSpiveyGC 3h3 hours ago

The Gaddy twins have left their official visit to Florida. Brandon Gaddy tells me this. "Florida or Maryland, comes down to signing day."

#195 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 01:08 AM

Jonathan Doerer, the K commit who was going to be a PWO, flipped to Notre Dame today. Was hoping he could have sent Adam Greene packing.

#196 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,361 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 30 January 2017 - 07:08 AM

4-star LB Ellis Brooks will commit today. He was expected to choose Maryland, but a late push by Penn State now has them as the favorites.

@BSLZackKiesel

#197 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,361 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 30 January 2017 - 07:09 AM

Testudo Times: Maryland football is about to secure its best recruiting class (probably) ever

@BSLZackKiesel

#198 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,361 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 30 January 2017 - 07:19 AM

Since we're just a few days away from National Signing Day, here's a look at the Terps' Big Board:

4-Star Recruits

LB Ellis Brooks -- Trending Penn State (Committed: Penn State)

CB Tariq Castro-Fields -- Trending Penn State

3-Star Recruits

S Naytron Culpepper -- Trending USF

DT Jalen Twyman -- Trending Pitt

TE Blake Williams -- Trending Maryland

LB Malik Horton -- Trending Maryland

Unranked Recruits

S George Hunter -- Toss-Up (Maryland, Kansas, FAU)

S Zack Roski -- Trending Maryland

K Noel Ruiz -- Toss-Up (Maryland, Penn State)

@BSLZackKiesel

#199 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,361 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 30 January 2017 - 12:08 PM

Since we're just a few days away from National Signing Day, here's a look at the Terps' Big Board:

4-Star Recruits

LB Ellis Brooks -- Trending Penn State

CB Tariq Castro-Fields -- Trending Penn State

3-Star Recruits

S Naytron Culpepper -- Trending USF

DT Jalen Twyman -- Trending Pitt

TE Blake Williams -- Trending Maryland

LB Malik Horton -- Trending Maryland

Unranked Recruits

S George Hunter -- Toss-Up (Maryland, Kansas, FAU)

S Zack Roski -- Trending Maryland

K Noel Ruiz -- Toss-Up (Maryland, Penn State)

Brooks is now off the board. He just committed to Penn State.

@BSLZackKiesel

#200 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,408 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 07:14 PM

Washington Post: Maryland protects its house on National Signing Day, but Penn State’s knocking again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=