#21 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,713 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 05 January 2016 - 06:29 PM

The Rams belong in LA. I hope SD can stay in SD and if Oakland moving to LA means the As can get a new ballpark I'm Ok with that too.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#22 papasmurfbell

papasmurfbell

Rookie

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 560 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 06:32 PM

The Chargers are gone.  They will never build a new stadium forthem down there.  One thing is the Chargers are originally from LA.  

The A's can't get a new stadium done bc the Giants are boxing them out of San Jose.

#23 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,558 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 05 January 2016 - 06:33 PM

At least the NFC West will really be the NFC West that way.

#24 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 05 January 2016 - 06:53 PM

The Chargers are gone.  They will never build a new stadium forthem down there.  One thing is the Chargers are originally from LA.  

The A's can't get a new stadium done bc the Giants are boxing them out of San Jose.

They're at least talking to Oakland, who have been vacillating back and forth for a while between building a new ballpark for the A's or new stadium for the Raiders. Both want the Coliseum site, and neither wants to share.

The Chargers are the most likely team to get approval, but the Rams are probably gone regardless. Al Davis set a precedent with his original LA move, so the league can do very little to stop Kroenke if he decides to go.

@DJ_McCann

#25 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 06:54 PM

At least the NFC West will really be the NFC West that way.

The really silly part will be if the league makes a deal like has been theorized and lets the Rams and Chargers take LA while the Raiders move to St. Louis to play in the proposed stadium there.

@DJ_McCann

#26 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,713 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 06:55 PM

The St. Louis Raiders? Gross.
  • Don Quixote likes this

@bopper33

#27 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 06:57 PM

The St. Louis Raiders? Gross.

Just wait until they meet The Best Fans In Baseball. It could be...a lot of fun.

@DJ_McCann

#28 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 05 January 2016 - 07:02 PM

If the comment sections of articles are any indication, and that's obviously an extremely SSS, the Rams are the most popular choice among LA folks. They have the deepest ties to LA among the 3. The sentiment I read is that they don't want the Raiders because of the sort of crowds they attracted last time they were there and people are wary that Davis The Younger might turn out to be too much like his old man. And they seem to flat out hate the Chargers and Spanos.

Are they? :)

Well, I figured maybe the LA Times attract a higher caliber of reader/commenter than....eh, who am I kidding? For all we know they might prefer a CFL team.

FWIW, I do see tons of Rams gear out here. Way more than Raiders gear with Chargers gear coming in third.
  • BSLMikeLowe likes this

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#29 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 07:27 PM

Goodell calls St. Louis, San Diego, Oakland proposals “unsatisfactory and inadequate”

Breaking news, I know. It's just good to get occasional insight on what the commissioner says when he looks in the mirror every morning.

@DJ_McCann

#30 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 07:34 PM

Goodell calls St. Louis, San Diego, Oakland proposals “unsatisfactory and inadequate”

Breaking news, I know. It's just good to get occasional insight on what the commissioner says when he looks in the mirror every morning.

It's too bad that every city won't band together and say pay for your own damn stadium.  It's not like they don't have the money to do it, and there are arguably no worthwhile benefits to the average citizen.

• mweb08 and Don Quixote like this

#31 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 09:35 PM

It's too bad that every city won't band together and say pay for your own damn stadium.  It's not like they don't have the money to do it, and there are arguably no worthwhile benefits to the average citizen.

I don't think LA is paying much for either of the suggested projects of the Rams and Chargers.

@DJ_McCann

#32 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,558 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 12:25 AM

I don't think LA is paying much for either of the suggested projects of the Rams and Chargers.

Pretty sure they aren't. The attractiveness is all the money the LA market can bring in via suite sales and advertising/sponsorships. I would imagine many of the bigger market teams built their current stadiums with more private money. It's the mid-small market cities (see: San Diego, St. Louis, Oakland) that get extorted for more because they can't make up for it elsewhere like the bigger markets, and there's always some other mid-small market out there that an owner can leverage by saying they'll pay for his stadium if you don't.

#33 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,558 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 12:31 AM

Crazy thing is that a lot of big companies in other industries have caught on and are negotiating their own sweet deals using the threat of relocation....things like forgivable public loans to build new plants/factories, cheap deals on land, tax breaks, etc. At least in most cases those businesses employ more people than stadiums/sports teams, but I'd be surprised if the net public benefit is appreciably better (economically speaking).

#34 papasmurfbell

papasmurfbell

Rookie

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 560 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 09:03 AM

Bmore is about 15 yrs away from being in the same boat as SD, StL, and Oak.

One is Stan paying the whole thing.  The other is some big company paying.  I don't think it has any public money in it.

#35 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,748 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 10:59 AM

Bmore is about 15 yrs away from being in the same boat as SD, StL, and Oak.

One is Stan paying the whole thing.  The other is some big company paying.  I don't think it has any public money in it.

I think M&T will be OK for longer than that.

The stadiums in SD, OAK and STL have been outdated for a long time and lacked a lot of the modern amenities that stadiums like M&T Bank Stadium have.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#36 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,152 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 11:28 AM

Right, I expect M&T will need some major renovations as time goes on, but I think the footprint is solid.  What do the new stadiums have that M&T doesn't and can't add via renovation?

#37 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,558 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 11:49 AM

Right, I expect M&T will need some major renovations as time goes on, but I think the footprint is solid.  What do the new stadiums have that M&T doesn't and can't add via renovation?

Just about all of the new stadiums being built now are done so with the intention of being suitable to host a Super Bowl (i.e. retractable roof in cold-weather climates). That's pretty much the only thing M&T will always lack, but there's still several other stadiums that came online 10-20 years ago in that category too. And agree, just like the MSA and Orioles have made upgrades to OPACY over the years we can expect the same for M&T.

#38 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,713 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 12:17 PM

ESCALATORS TO THE UPPER LEVEL PLEASE

@bopper33

#39 papasmurfbell

papasmurfbell

Rookie

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 560 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 12:21 PM

I think M&T will be OK for longer than that.

The stadiums in SD, OAK and STL have been outdated for a long time and lacked a lot of the modern amenities that stadiums like M&T Bank Stadium have.

The Edward Jones done is 21 yrs old.  It has not been there bery long.  Oh by the way look at how long the Georgia Dome was there.  The Metrodome went down before the length of time when M&T's lease is set to expire.

Yeah a roof is what I am expecting Steve will want.  BTW that spells doom for winning in the playoffs by and large.  But also he may want more suites.  So I can see him demanding a new stadium in about 15 yrs.

#40 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 04:34 PM

The Edward Jones done is 21 yrs old.  It has not been there bery long.  Oh by the way look at how long the Georgia Dome was there.  The Metrodome went down before the length of time when M&T's lease is set to expire.

Yeah a roof is what I am expecting Steve will want.  BTW that spells doom for winning in the playoffs by and large.  But also he may want more suites.  So I can see him demanding a new stadium in about 15 yrs.

Yes, but there was a sea change in the design of stadiums between the Georgia Dome, which opened in 1992, and M&T Bank Stadium, which opened in 1998. Even in St. Louis, though the Rams didn't arrive until 1995, the dome was already under construction during the 1993 expansion. I think it's unlikely that such a change will happen again this quickly.

We're much more likely to see demographic changes affect stadium design and location over the next 15 years or so, for example, making a move out to the suburbs like the Braves are attempting more attractive than remaining in a city center.

@DJ_McCann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=