175 replies to this topic

#161 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 29 January 2016 - 12:44 PM

Only baseball has a full antitrust exemption...

FTFY. The NFL has a partial exemption, that only really covers their national broadcast deals.

• RShack likes this

#162 papasmurfbell

papasmurfbell

Rookie

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 560 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 12:48 PM

Disagree. Stan Kroenke made several concessions to get league approval for this move, when he could have gone to court and probably done everything on his own terms. Not to mention the court would likely say the half-billion dollar relocation fee he'll pay is illegal too. Not saying an owner who wants to move is "afraid" of the league, but they almost always make compromises to keep the peace.

Of course negotiate when possible but if the league decides to dig in their heals the lawsuit will win for you.  

I am assuming that within the bylaws of the NFL there is a method of voting a team out of the league.   I would think it would have to be probably 3/4 of the owners to do it.  Does anyone know if that is true?  That is the final thermonuclear threat the owners have against another.

#163 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 29 January 2016 - 06:21 PM

Apparently the Chargers are staying in San Diego for at least 2016.
@DJ_McCann

#164 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 06:24 PM

Of course negotiate when possible but if the league decides to dig in their heals the lawsuit will win for you.  

I am assuming that within the bylaws of the NFL there is a method of voting a team out of the league.   I would think it would have to be probably 3/4 of the owners to do it.  Does anyone know if that is true?  That is the final thermonuclear threat the owners have against another.

I never heard of anything like that... but that doesn't mean anything...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#165 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 06:25 PM

...and ESPN is reporting they've agreed to a deal in principle with the Rams to share the new stadium. So they're likey gone after this year.
@DJ_McCann

#166 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:15 PM

Drew Magary ‏@drewmagary  1h1 hour ago

The Chargers wanna know if they can play on your couch.  Just until they can get back on their feet, they swear

@DJ_McCann

#167 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:21 PM

Apparently the Chargers are staying in San Diego for at least 2016.

...and ESPN is reporting they've agreed to a deal in principle with the Rams to share the new stadium. So they're likey gone after this year.

I know LA and SD aren't that far apart, and they may get some bleedover fans between the metros, but staying in SD as a lame duck is dumb....even worse than the one season the Oilers/Titans spent in Memphis.

#168 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:37 PM

I know LA and SD aren't that far apart, and they may get some bleedover fans between the metros, but staying in SD as a lame duck is dumb....even worse than the one season the Oilers/Titans spent in Memphis.

I think technically it's a "one more last chance" thing. This way the Chargers can say that they exhausted all options, and if San Diego comes up with a proposal that they are willing to accept, they can stay. Also, they can plan out their move and work out all the details without having to do it all in a rush.

@DJ_McCann

#169 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:45 PM

I think technically it's a "one more last chance" thing. This way the Chargers can say that they exhausted all options, and if San Diego comes up with a proposal that they are willing to accept, they can stay. Also, they can plan out their move and work out all the details without having to do it all in a rush.

The one more chance thing sounds like a façade to me. I don't think there is anything SD could possibly come up with that would change the Chargers' minds at this point. But whatever, it doesn't surprise me at all, which is a statement all its own.

#170 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 10:50 PM

If San Diego does work out a deal to stay in the long term, most of the NFL people I follow seem to think the Raiders will take their spot in LA.

#171 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 11:09 PM

If San Diego does work out a deal to stay in the long term, most of the NFL people I follow seem to think the Raiders will take their spot in LA.

I wouldn't be surprised if Al comes back as a demon spirit, possesses his son's body, and just up and moves them to LA anyway.

@DJ_McCann

#172 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 03:12 PM

Deadspin: Sheldon Adelson Is Killing Stories About How Much His Raiders Stadium Will Cost Las Vegas

He bought the Las Vegas Review-Journal last year, probably in part for this very reason.

@DJ_McCann

#173 papasmurfbell

papasmurfbell

Rookie

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 560 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:49 PM

Did anyone see the features of that LA stadium?

#174 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 08:05 PM

ESPN The Magazine: The Wow Factor

Pretty much confirms what was written by Peter King shortly after the vote, but with more details. Jerry Jones and league HQ were pretty much in Kroenke's pocket and turned enough owners towards the bigger, fancier Inglewood project, and by extension against Spanos, to make it happen.

#175 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 11:04 PM

The Raiders made it official and signed a lease to stay at the Oakland Coliseum (or whatever hell name that dump is called now) for 2016. They also have 1-year renewal options for 2017 and 2018. Basically, long enough for a stadium in Las Vegas to be ready for 2019.

#176 papasmurfbell

papasmurfbell

Rookie

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 560 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 12:08 AM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=