#321 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:33 PM

frank_thomas.jpg

Maybe Frank grabbed a bat and told them to quit screwing around?

• DJ MC likes this

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#322 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:34 PM

Those unis are sweet

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#323 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:37 PM

Weber has sunk his teeth in. I love it.

When someone starts talking about players like Mussina, Schilling, and Raines somehow making the HOF the Hall of Very Good, and at the same time, talk up guys like Dawson, Molitor, and especially Brock, then yeah, that gets me going. 

The HOF is easily one of the sports topics I'm most passionate about.

Love talking about it and of course, I don't mind a good debate or two or one hundred from time to time. 

#324 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:38 PM

To be fair to the team, when you are willingly calling yourself the "White Sox" it's pretty difficult to get a good color scheme together. Either you go all-white and people hate it, or you add in other colors and people complain that it doesn't make sense to use black, or blue, or red. Same about finding a good logo. And, at least they've been willing to try.

That said, they've had 115 years to figure it out :D

@DJ_McCann

#325 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:57 PM

When someone starts talking about players like Mussina, Schilling, and Raines somehow making the HOF the Hall of Very Good, and at the same time, talk up guys like Dawson, Molitor, and especially Brock, then yeah, that gets me going.

The HOF is easily one of the sports topics I'm most passionate about.

Love talking about it and of course, I don't mind a good debate or two or one hundred from time to time.

You do love a good debate. You'd be a good trial lawyer assuming you could avoid being held in contempt.

@bopper33

#326 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:03 PM

You do love a good debate. You'd be a good trial lawyer assuming you could avoid being held in contempt.

I'm actually generally a very calm person. I don't think being a trial lawyer would generally bring out that side of me.

I also know how to control my emotions in a professional setting pretty well. Afterall, I've somehow managed to survive over a year teaching in Baltimore. :D

But say you can't be a top 5 player in NBA history without 4 ringz and I lose my shit. :D

#327 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:34 PM

I said later on I would only write in the top 7 given a vote. Given 10 options those are my 10. Raines. Just missing the cut at 8.

OK, well you've also said some negative things about Mussina and Schilling.

I came back around on them.
  • mweb08 likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#328 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:58 PM

I'm actually generally a very calm person. I don't think being a trial lawyer would generally bring out that side of me.

I also know how to control my emotions in a professional setting pretty well. Afterall, I've somehow managed to survive over a year teaching in Baltimore. :D

But say you can't be a top 5 player in NBA history without 4 ringz and I lose my shit. :D

Jordan, Magic, Shaq, Russell, Kobe.

#329 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:18 PM

Jordan, Magic, Shaq, Russell, Kobe.

Don't get Pedro started. 

#330 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:21 PM

Don't get Pedro started. 

You beat me to it. Pedro, I think Bill Russell is underrated.

#331 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:23 PM

Don't get Pedro started.

Who. Me.

#332 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:26 PM

Bill Russell is the Lou Brock of the NBA.

Most overrated athlete maybe in sports' history.

@bopper33

#333 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:39 PM

Bill Russell is the Lou Brock of the NBA.
Most overrated athlete maybe in sports' history.

I dont think you value grit and winning enough.

#334 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:42 PM

Oh well blue collars and lunch pails aren't for everyone

#335 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:49 PM

I dont think you value grit and winning enough.

He won when there was no FA, had a ton of HOF talent around him and there were like 8 teams in the league.

Michael winning 6 and Magic winning 5 are both much more impressive

@bopper33

#336 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:49 PM

Oh well blue collars and lunch pails aren't for everyone

Sometimes I wear a blue dress shirt with my suits.

@bopper33

#337 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:53 PM

Bill Russell is personally responsible for 26% of everything that is good in western civilization.
  • Russ likes this

#338 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 12:29 AM

Going back to this and relating it to the HOF debate.

In law, precedent matters and is consistently referenced.

The same principle applies to the Hall of Fame. A precedent has been set and has become very well established in terms of what level a player needs to be to be Hall worthy.

That doesn't mean that it is applied equally on each case, nor does it mean that there is no opportunity for debate on if a player has reached the level of the precedent.

There certainly have been mistakes made along the way, but unlike with the Supreme Court for instance, these decisions can not be overturned.

That does not mean that every decision needs to be looked at as valid, but when viewing all the decisions as a whole, I reiterate that they set the precedent that has been established and perpetuated throughout the existence of the Hall of Fame.

That precedent forms the standard by which players are judged and the institution should stay constant regarding that in order to be fair to both the players and the fans of the game that would like to see the players they watched honored in the same way that their predecessors were.

So while a legitimate discussion can be had dealing with the candidacy of many players, when it comes to players such as Mussina, Schilling, and Raines, that not only meet the standard set, but surpass the average level of players at their position already in the Hall of Fame, they should be enshrined. To do so does not result in the Hall of Very Good, rather the same Hall of Fame that already exists. Otherwise, you end up with some peculiar mismatch of generations of players that do not share the same standard for admittance and therefore lack the same level of representation, which results in a poor historical interpretation and presentation of the game.
  • DJ MC and RShack like this

#339 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 10:14 AM

In law, precedent matters and is consistently referenced.

The same principle applies to the Hall of Fame.

No it doesn't.

One is a set of rules laid out for the court system and the other is a museum to honor the game of baseball. Your making a Shack argument, comparing apples and oranges. But even those are more closely related than our legal system and the HOF.

Not putting Raines in is not a violation of his constitutional rights.

If anything the Hall is full of distingushing cases because each players case is very different given so many variables and numbers in the game of baseball. That's probably even a stretch trying to compare the Hall to our legal system.

In the case of Raines vs. BBWAA 2016, based on precedent in the eight cases of Raines vs. BBWAA 2008 through 2015, Raines is still not a HOFer.

However....I'm willing admit that he gets in in 2017. Last year on the ballot, he's close enough he'll get a few more votes to get in. You'll get your wish. Rub it in my face. Whatever.

I'd rather raise the bar. Or to be honest, the bar is fine right where it is given the class just elected. Steroid users aside. You would rather elect a class of 27 guys based on bad precedent. You even made a case for Scott Rolen for god sake.

To each their own. I'm moving on.
@BSLMikeRandall

#340 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,704 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 10:18 AM

No it doesn't.

One is a set of rules laid out for the court system and the other is a museum to honor the game of baseball. Your making a Shack argument, comparing apples and oranges. But even those are more closely related than our legal system and the HOF.

Not putting Raines in is not a violation of his constitutional rights.

If anything the Hall is full of distingushing cases because each players case is very different given so many variables and numbers in the game of baseball. That's probably even a stretch trying to compare the Hall to our legal system.

In the case of Raines vs. BBWAA 2016, based on precedent in the eight cases of Raines vs. BBWAA 2008 through 2015, Raines is still not a HOFer.

However....I'm willing admit that he gets in in 2017. Last year on the ballot, he's close enough he'll get a few more votes to get in. You'll get your wish. Rub it in my face. Whatever.

I'd rather raise the bar. Or to be honest, the bar is fine right where it is given the class just elected. Steroid users aside. You would rather elect a class of 27 guys based on bad precedent. You even made a case for Scott Rolen for god sake.

To each their own. I'm moving on.

If you raise the bar, Raines is still deserving.

I think there are guys that are in that shouldn't be.  Those aren't the players that I'm using to compare Raines favorably to.  Raines compares favorably to many guys who deserve to be in the Hall of Fame even with a higher bar. 

You mentioned several guys before, like Andre Dawson, who deserve to be in.  I agree Dawson is a Hall of Fame player.  I think Tim Raines was as good of a player, better in fact.  It's not lowering the bar from where it is, or even where it should be, to elect Raines.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=