302 replies to this topic

#281 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:03 PM

Now we're all on the Flaherty bandwagon?!?!

Welcome to the party guys, been doing this thing alone for 5 months now.

• SammyBirdland likes this
@JeffLongBP

#282 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:04 PM

Until he goes 0 for 5 tonight and makes a costly error.

@levineps

#283 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:07 PM

I don't understand why he doesn't just spell Hardy and Machado every so often, just so he can "play himself into regression". I mean, the dude's on a hot streak, and Hardy/Machado have played pretty much every day. Give 'em a day off or two for the stretch run.

Hardy is getting a break tonight, guess Buck reads the BSL message boards.

@levineps

#284 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:07 PM

Now we're all on the Flaherty bandwagon?!?! Welcome to the party guys, been doing this thing alone for 5 months now.

"Choose your own torture implement"
  • JeffLong likes this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#285 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,264 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:33 PM

My take on Flaherty has not changed. I expected him to be better at 2nd when that was the only position he focused on... and he has improved. Not sure I believe the defensive metrics on him, but he is certainly better than he was last year.  He has a pretty looking swing, and some pop...

A guy able to play 2nd, 3rd, SS, OF and has some pop can definitely help a roster, but I doubt he ever becomes a guy you want starting regularly. OTOH, we acknowledge that last year had to be difficult for him... making the jump to the Majors, not playing regularly. Hard to produce like that.  Last night was impressive to see him that sharp after not getting much (any) time the last few weeks.

Yesterday in the Player Talk section, we said the following about Roberts...

"So, Roberts has returned and is playing everyday. I'm surprised Buck has not given him some rest on day games after night, or just shown some reluctance in using him as much as he has - with 2 other 2nd baseman on the roster.

My eyes tell me Roberts is average ish at 2nd (maybe slightly below)... the defensive metrics hate him.

Closing in on 100 ab's, he is hitting RHP (.286 baa, .739 OPS, 56 ab's), and not hitting LHP (.190 baa, .508 OPS, 42 ab's).
Overall, he needs to get on-base at a higher clip (.283 obp).

He's getting ready to leave the roster on paternity leave for several days."

If Flaherty and Roberts received equal ab's vs. RHP the rest of the way, I don't think there would be much difference in the numbers either way.

As is, I'm inclined to start Roberts the rest of August and see if his play improves at all with another month of play. If it doesn't, I might go more even time with him and Flaherty in September.  (Of course Duquette has mentioned several times now that Schoop could be up in September as well... and that further complicates things.)

Next year, I would think if an external option had not been added... that Flaherty would have a good chance to begin the season as the starter.... but I would expect Schoop to take over the position by the end of May. I have to think there is a good chance that someone is added externally though.

• Russ likes this

#286 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:47 PM

Not yet, as the everyday 2b. Knew this would happen. The backup QB is always better, even in baseball. Im not saying there might not come a time when I'm ready to go back to Flaherty everyday, but Im not there yet.

#287 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:14 PM

I've beeen there with you.
  • JeffLong likes this

#288 Jon Shepherd

Jon Shepherd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 562 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:42 PM

So if he was a 10 year veteran who had played for a few different clubs, he'd be given the same respect? I think not. I do agree to an extent, being an establish veteran has helped his case, but I think his status with the club helps him more. All the talk about B-Rob "deserving" to play meaningful baseball.

Well, Vladimir Guerrero sucked at DH and was ridden out there until the end of the season.  He was also batting in the middle of the lineup.

So, it has happened even with a one year guy.

#289 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:45 PM

Well, Vladimir Guerrero sucked at DH and was ridden out there until the end of the season.  He was also batting in the middle of the lineup.

So, it has happened even with a one year guy.

I'd say it's a little different when you are playing in meaningful games. Not that I thought keeping Vlad out there was the right move.

@levineps

#290 Jon Shepherd

Jon Shepherd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 562 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:12 AM

I'd say it's a little different when you are playing in meaningful games. Not that I thought keeping Vlad out there was the right move.

With one winning season in the past decade and a half, we are kind of short on examples.

#291 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:15 PM

With one winning season in the past decade and a half, we are kind of short on examples.

Absolutely, I'm just not sure Vlad would've been allowed to continue if we had a legitimate chance at a playoff spot. It was easier to keep playing since we were paying him one way or another.

@levineps

#292 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,264 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:27 AM

Camden Depot: Why is Brian Roberts playing everyday?
http://camdendepot.b...-every-day.html

#293 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,886 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:26 AM

I'd say that Roberts should be benched against LHP, but it's not like Casilla or Flaherty have had anything resembling success against lefties, either this year or for their careers (or minors in Flaherty's case).

#294 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:58 AM

Until he starts missing plays in the field, he's not hurting the team.  But, the moment we get one out instead of two because of him, he's officially a liability.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#295 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:01 AM

Flaherty had a rough start to the year offensively, but he's bounced back and he's a better hitter than Roberts at this point. It's not close defensively.

#296 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,886 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:11 AM

Until he starts missing plays in the field, he's not hurting the team.  But, the moment we get one out instead of two because of him, he's officially a liability.

He's absolutely missing plays in the field.  He's been bad at 2B, IMO.  Clearly several steps down from the play we were getting from Flaherty.  He's not making errors, but he's definitely not getting to balls that Flaherty was getting to.

#297 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:11 AM

Flaherty had a rough start to the year offensively, but he's bounced back and he's a better hitter than Roberts at this point. It's not close defensively.

Do we have a big enough sample size on Flaherty yet?

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#298 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,641 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:17 PM

There has been a lot of negative Roberts stuff, but he seems to be putting things together nicely.  He is seeing a lot of pitches, driving in runs his OBP is up to about to .330 and his OPS is up to .720.  He really seems to be enjoying playing every day and he is contributing nicely.  His D while not Flaherty is certainly not a liability.  I like watching Roberts.  He never stopped trying to come back.  Nice to see him having some success.  He still does not seem to have enough confidence in the hamstring to steal bases though.  Roberts is our best option at 2nd base IMO.

• BSLChrisStoner and You Play to Win the Game like this
@mikeghg

#299 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:25 PM

I think he has to know he's going to have to take a significant paycut to stay here or any MLB job. Do you think the O's should or will bring him back? What would a fair contract be? I have to think he'd want to stay here if he could rather than packing up and continuing his career elsewhere.

@levineps

#300 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:33 PM

I've always liked B-Rob. My heart tells me I'd like to have him back on a cheap deal next year. He seems to be healthy, comfortable, and is starting to run a bit which is very encouraging.

My head tells me it's very foolish to expect him to stay healthy for the entire season in 2014 for the first time since 2009.

What are the other options at 2B? 

@PeterDiLutis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=