Should be a fun series.

#2 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 11:32 PM

Can't wait. I'm good with either team winning so just watching for some good baseball.

#3 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 23 October 2015 - 11:37 PM

Starting pitching and power versus contact hitting and bullpen. Fun matchup.

@DJ_McCann

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,157 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 10:17 AM

USA Today: Mets-Royals World Series: Five crucial matchups to watch

http://www.usatoday....chups/74498484/

#5 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 24 October 2015 - 10:20 AM

I'm with Russ, don't really care who wins, though the Royals will likely break up this team shortly, while the Mets should be good for the next few years. 

also, Lo Cain, also the American League. 

Never mind, I'll root for the Royals. 

@beginthebegin71

#6 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 October 2015 - 11:06 AM

Go Royals!

#7 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 24 October 2015 - 11:10 AM

Of course I'll be rooting for the Mets.

Nothing against KC though other than what they did to us last year.

#8 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 08:53 PM

By the way, this was the NY Times game story from Friday's paper.

http://www.nytimes.c...ayout.html?_r=3

@DJ_McCann

#9 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 10:08 PM

Nothing against KC though other than what they did to us last year.

The best thing about being at home watching KC play in the WS is knowing that Bautista will be doing it too... because he didn't hit the cutoff man....

• You Play to Win the Game and Il BuonO like this

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#10 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 October 2015 - 10:11 PM

Can't root for anything good to happen to New York sports wise.

#11 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 24 October 2015 - 10:13 PM

The best thing about being at home watching KC play in the WS is knowing that Bautista will be doing it too... because he didn't hit the cutoff man....

He was just trying to prevent a double..he never even looked. 

Plus Lorenzo Cain is a beacon of awesomeness who cannot be contained! 

@beginthebegin71

#12 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 10:54 PM

He was just trying to prevent a double..he never even looked. 

Are you explaining it as if doing that made some kind of sense... or are you simply describing exactly how he was a knucklehead who let the winning run score for no good reason?   :wink:

Plus Lorenzo Cain is a beacon of awesomeness who cannot be contained! 

Oh, I agree Cain is up to Here in awesomeness... and I freely acknowledge that you knew that way before i did... 

But if you knew it and I knew it, then Bautista sure as hell should have known it... which means he was a double-dope for not even looking... and *that* is what sent his team home...  (I realize we can't know what would have happened had he not committed a fatal sin... all we know for sure is that he did commit a fatal sin...)

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#13 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 24 October 2015 - 11:02 PM

Are you explaining it as if doing that made some kind of sense... or are you simply describing exactly how he was a knucklehead who let the winning run score for no good reason?   :wink:

Oh, I agree Cain is up to Here in awesomeness... and I freely acknowledge that you knew that way before i did... 

But if you knew it and I knew it, then Bautista sure as hell should have known it... which means he was a double-dope for not even looking... and *that* is what sent his team home...  (I realize we can't know what would have happened had he not committed a fatal sin... all we know for sure is that he did commit a fatal sin...)

I can only assume that he never even considered that Cain would score (he wasn't even running on the play), so I just figure Bautista wanted to keep hosmer at first to keep a double play in order (assuming 1st & 3rd would be the result of his preventing the double). He never looked and  just kind of lobbed it into second. 

I haven't seen any articles, interviews or anything with Bautista since the play, but my thoughts above are my opinion on what he might have been thinking in the moment. Who knows, I'm just glad it happened! 

@beginthebegin71

#14 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 11:24 PM

I can only assume that he never even considered that Cain would score (he wasn't even running on the play), so I just figure Bautista wanted to keep hosmer at first to keep a double play in order (assuming 1st & 3rd would be the result of his preventing the double). He never looked and  just kind of lobbed it into second. 

I haven't seen any articles, interviews or anything with Bautista since the play, but my thoughts above are my opinion on what he might have been thinking in the moment. Who knows, I'm just glad it happened! 

Oh, I agree with your summation of what his internal subjective movie was... I'm sure he was thinking and doing exactly what you said...  

The problem is that anything anybody does is understandable once you're inside their head... but trouble occurs based on what happens *outside* their head   :wink:

#15 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 12:08 AM

Posnanski: http://sportsworld.n...m/the-royal-we/

After a delay for the rain, Bautista was in right field when Hosmer hit his line drive. He had only one thought: Cut the ball off and hold Hosmer to a single. It would take everything in his power to do that. He had to chase down the ball, catch it on a bounce, somehow stop his momentum and turn and fire the ball back into the infield. He caught the ball, took four mini steps, whirled and threw toward second base. It was a marvelous throw, and it forced Hosmer to skid to a halt and head back to first base.

With nobody out, Bautista was certainly not thinking about Lorenzo Cain running.

@DJ_McCann

#16 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 04:39 AM

Posnanski: http://sportsworld.n...m/the-royal-we/

Right... everybody keeps saying Bautista wasn't worrying about Cain, as if that somehow means he didn't screw up.  Which is goofy.  The very fact that he ignored Cain is *why* Cain scored.   The reason the 3B coach windmilled Cain home is *because* he saw Bautista throw to the wrong place.

Here's a clip where they show Statcast data... the useful thing is the birds-eye view late in the clip that lets you see where everybody was at once... http://m.mlb.com/vid...core-from-first

Why was Bautista not supposed to worry about Cain?  Cain has a track record of running like crazy until the 3B coach makes him stop, and of scoring when the 3B coach waves him home.  Everybody knows Cain is ridiculously fast... so, why was Bautista supposed to assume that Cain wouldn't be almost to 3B when he threw to 2B?

Bautista expected the play to work out *as if* if somebody normal was the runner... but he *knew* who the runner was.  Him ignoring that is why the Jays lost the game and got sent home.   The fact that he successfully executed a high-difficulty wrong play doesn't change any of that ... it was still the wrong play, who cares if he executed it right?.

And, yes, if was anybody but Bautista I would be more sympathetic about it   ;-)

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#17 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 25 October 2015 - 06:32 AM

By the way, this was the NY Times game story from Friday's paper.

http://www.nytimes.c...ayout.html?_r=3

This is so, so awesome.

#18 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 25 October 2015 - 07:40 AM

This is far more credit to Cain and Jirschele than blame on anyone..

@beginthebegin71

#19 Il BuonO

Il BuonO

Opposite Field Power

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 896 posts
  • LocationGeorgetown, TX

Posted 25 October 2015 - 09:04 AM

Reminded me of when they played the Orioles and the whole thing about him being thrown at, by I think Garcia, who couldn't command anything at the time. So, on defense he tries to throw out someone at 1B on a single and in the process throws out his arm. Smart move, Jose, enjoy the DL.

Now he can watch like the rest of us. I hope his baseball IQ never changes.

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,157 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 04:29 PM

CBS Sports:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=