#41 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:21 AM

I couldn't care less about a little bat flip and admiration of a moonshot homer (same with someone scoring and spiking the ball and doing the dirty bird or whatever), I think it's fun.

But what Bautista did yesterday was on a whole other level.  Here's hoping next year Darvish and Lewis and Hamels an whomever else on the Rangers staff drill Bautista every time he's up to bat against the Rangers.

• Chris B likes this

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#42 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,157 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:22 AM

Thats exactly what you see and are going to see more of at the youth levels. Kids think that bat flip was the greatest thing ever. Will emulate it next spring by throwing the bat as high and far as they can when they hit a ball hard. Hopefully, not killing the kid on deck.

You missed the point, or ignored the question...while you are focusing on bat flips...  what about the general emotion you see in baseball, other than MLB?

Not all of that (and pretty much none of it at the LL and College levels) is about disrespecting opponents, but is about celebrating their own teams.

Why discourage that enthusiasm at the professional level? (And really to specify the US professional level.)

#43 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:23 AM

Yeah, just what I want to see at my local Little League Field. Kids flipping bats god knows where and the pitchers staring at the other kid when he strikes them out. Wow. 

I actually saw a fair amount of kids flipping their bats and admiring their homers during this past years LLWS games on tv.  That was definitely a bit much and my dad (or any of my coaches) would've dragged me (or anyone else on my teams) off the field by our earlobe had we done the same when we played.

Now, if you want to argue they're trying to emulate their big league hero's I can buy that argument that the big boys should tone it down a bit.

Because, what's next?  Kids taking out other kids at 2nd base because their big league idol Chase Utley is doing it?

#44 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:25 AM

You missed the point, or ignored the question...while you are focusing on bat flips...  what about the general emotion you see in baseball, other than MLB?

Not all of that (and pretty much none of it at the LL and College levels) is about disrespecting opponents, but is about celebrating their own teams.

Why discourage that enthusiasm at the professional level? (And really to specify the US professional level.)

I said emotion is fine. Its essential. There has always been a way to express emotion without things like bat flips and staring down opponenets and dancing off the mound.  You're apparently accepting of that behavior. It's not acceptable. 

#45 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,157 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:26 AM

I couldn't care less about a little bat flip and admiration of a moonshot homer (same with someone scoring and spiking the ball and doing the dirty bird or whatever), I think it's fun.

But what Bautista did yesterday was on a whole other level.  Here's hoping next year Darvish and Lewis and Hamels an whomever else on the Rangers staff drill Bautista every time he's up to bat against the Rangers.

And if that happens, it happens... and as along as the aim from the Rangers pitchers is not at his head, no issue from me.

That's the game policing itself. Again, my point is that even if you didn't like Bautista's antics... they shouldn't be discouraged (which may or may not be the same as encouraging).

I personally can't get worked-up over the guy showing off, hitting a bomb in an emotional setting...

I'd be more apt to hit him for his comments to Jones, or showing up O'Day... but I don't want him to not do those things either. I want him to be who he is... it's more enjoyable to dislike him, vs. not caring about him and Jays at all.

#46 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:28 AM

All this said, at some point next year I hope that when someone homers off a Jays pitcher, he stands there and admires the hell out of his homer, flips his bat 90 feet in the air, and the entire time he's running around the bases he's looking at Joey Bats (maybe even having to run backwards from 2nd to 3rd so he can still look at Bautista) and waving and blowing kisses at him and as he's crossing home plate he does a Rick Flair-esque strut.

#47 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:28 AM

I actually saw a fair amount of kids flipping their bats and admiring their homers during this past years LLWS games on tv.  That was definitely a bit much and my dad (or any of my coaches) would've dragged me (or anyone else on my teams) off the field by our earlobe had we done the same when we played.

Now, if you want to argue they're trying to emulate their big league hero's I can buy that argument that the big boys should tone it down a bit.

Because, what's next?  Kids taking out other kids at 2nd base because their big league idol Chase Utley is doing it?

The problem is there isn't enough parents that will get in a kids ear. The problem is you're getting parents now that grew up doing the same thing themselves. Again, let me say, I dont expect MLB players or especially kids to be robots. Pump fist, clap, scream,etc. Many ways to show emotions without the over the top, disrespectful,look at me antics. 

#48 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,555 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:29 AM

If every team in MLB agreed to hit Bautista every time he batted do you think he'd retire?
  • Chris B likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#49 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,482 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Haven't we evolved enough as a society by 2015 to find a better way of dealing with conflict than throwing 95 MPH fastball's at human's, and fighting in hockey? It's barbaric.

• Icterus galbula and KWebz like this

#50 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,555 posts

Haven't we evolved enough as a society by 2015 to find a better way of dealing with conflict than throwing 95 MPH fastball's at human's, and fighting in hockey? It's barbaric.

Apparently you've never hung out on Rt 1 at closing time in CP
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

@bopper33

#51 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,482 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:30 AM

Haa... I mean yeah. It's just ridiculous when you really think about it.

#52 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:32 AM

campfire.jpg.CROP.hd-large.jpg

#53 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:46 AM

If every team in MLB agreed to hit Bautista every time he batted do you think he'd retire?

He'd score a million runs and win the MVP every year. He'd take that in a heartbeat.

@DJ_McCann

#54 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,555 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:49 AM

He'd score a million runs and win the MVP every year. He'd take that in a heartbeat.

Even being a human pin cushion? He'd get hit, literally, 600 times.

I think he'd retire.

@bopper33

#55 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:51 AM

Even being a human pin cushion? He'd get hit, literally, 600 times.

I think he'd retire.

2487_Baseball-Knight.gif

@DJ_McCann

#56 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:56 AM

I would rather see my kid celebrating a big hit than accepting a participation trophy.

#57 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,235 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:58 AM

There are too many different arguments going on in this thread.

• RShack likes this

#58 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:59 AM

You can have respect and celebrate at the same time.

#59 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,157 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:59 AM

There are too many different arguments going on in this thread.

It's a grab bag. Just yell louder lol.

#60 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 11:04 AM

You can have respect and celebrate at the same time.

This is what I'd like to aim for.  I'm totally cool with and enjoy watching when players get pumped up and celebrate.  But at some point there is a line when what you are doing is meant to embarrass your opponent instead of celebrating you and you're team's success.

I liked the Rangers doing the antlers thing a few years back.  I hated everything the Royals did last year.  I like when pitchers get excited when one of their defenders makes a big play, I like when hitters celebrate while running around the bases, I don't like when they stand in the box and watch it or when pitchers stare down a hitter after a K.  I don't know exactly what the difference is, or how you define it, which makes it difficult to have any sort of rule or guideline.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=