232 replies to this topic

#141 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:22 PM

Dislike most of these names, specifically Pelini, Kiffin, Muschamp, Cutcliffe, Schiano, Petrino, Chizik, Tressel. You want someone to breathe life into a stagnant program, to bring excitement. You have to go young with this hire. Scott Frost, Mike Norvell would be at the absolute top of my list. Young, offensive-minded coordinators who are ready to take over a Power 5 program. I don't want some old HC who's been around the block for years. I want a guy who can excite recruits and bring energy.

I can see why you'd dislike a lot of those guys, but why do you dislike Kiffin? Kiffin gets such a bad rap. Anything involving Al Davis gets thrown out in my opinion.

He had Tennessee infused with talent and turned around in one year there. The reason everyone was so pissed that he left there was because he was actually doing a really good job. Then he went to USC and the sanctions killed him, although he did go 10-2 one of the years. And he's been a smashing success as the coordinator at Alabama. He's an offensive mind with swagger, charisma, and a terrific recruiter. He could also bring Ed Orgeron who is one of the top recruiters in the game. He gets a bad rep because people hate on him for leaving Tennessee but he left for his dream job. Any coach would have made that move. 

@PeterDiLutis

#142 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:23 PM

Lane Kiffin is a gifted coach but I wouldn't trust that smug POS with this program. That's the last thing we need. He'd get us in trouble.
  • Chris B and BSLZackKiesel like this

#143 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,634 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:24 PM

So he gets hired here and leaves as soon as a better job comes along?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#144 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,358 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Lane Kiffin is a gifted coach but I wouldn't trust that smug POS with this program. That's the last thing we need. He'd get us in trouble.

Exactly. He has no program loyalty and would end up jumping ship in a year or two because he got a better offer. We need a program builder, someone young who can grow with the program. Kiffin is a nuke waiting to detonate.

• Greg Pappas likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#145 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

PJ Fleck is annoying to me. Frost and Babers are my 2 favorites from your list I think. Smart and Venables are defensive guys and in today's world, I think you always have to pick offense over defense. See: Will Muschamp. 

I'm not as high on Mazzone as others. UCLA is nothing special. 

@PeterDiLutis

#146 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Why is he a a smug POS? Because he left a program to make a step up? Isn't that what we're asking all of these coaches listed to do? If Dino Babers leaves Bowling Green to come to MD, is he a smug POS?

@PeterDiLutis

#147 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:26 PM

Exactly. He has no program loyalty and would end up jumping ship in a year or two because he got a better offer. We need a program builder, someone young who can grow with the program. Kiffin is a nuke waiting to detonate.

Lane Kiffin is 40 years old. You can't get much younger.

I also have news for you guys. I'm totally with you that UMD has a lot going for them, but if Scott Frost comes and turns the program around, he's not sticking around. MD is going to be a stepping zone for anyone not named Ralph Friedgen or Randy Edsall, basically. At least for a while. And that's okay. 

@PeterDiLutis

#148 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:26 PM

Why is he a a smug POS? Because he left a program to make a step up? Isn't that what we're asking all of these coaches listed to do? If Dino Babers leaves Bowling Green to come to MD, is he a smug POS?

It's the way he carries himself and the rumors I've heard about the kind of person he is. No thanks.

And what Pedro said.

#149 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,522 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:27 PM

I can understand wanting Edsall to take the fall for the 50+ point defeat they are gonna take on Saturday rather than even an interim guy.

It seems kind of trivial either way, but I see no reason to essentially tell Edsall "We'd can you now, but we want this upcoming beatdown to go on your record, not the placeholder on your staff who will fill in for you the rest of the season." Edsall was a poor choice for coach, but it's no reason to let him spend the next several days twisting in the wind, especially Saturday when cameras will regularly be close up on him looking for any reaction at all. Seems crass to me.

#150 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:28 PM

It's true MD will be the jumping ground... I get and expect that. But there's people who build a program up then leave to a bigger school... then there's Lane Kiffin, find a way to win 9 games with Edsall's talent then go coach Nebraska the very next year. He's a douche.
  • BSLZackKiesel likes this

#151 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,358 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:29 PM

Lane Kiffin is 40 years old. You can't get much younger.

I also have news for you guys. I'm totally with you that UMD has a lot going for them, but if Scott Frost comes and turns the program around, he's not sticking around. MD is going to be a stepping zone for anyone not named Ralph Friedgen or Randy Edsall, basically. At least for a while. And that's okay. 

Like I said, a guy like Frost or Norvell could grow with the program. Kiffin will jump ship as soon as he has a glimmer of success (or gets booted for recruiting violations). He'd be an awful choice here.

@BSLZackKiesel

#152 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:30 PM

So he gets hired here and leaves as soon as a better job comes along?

You guys are such freaking drama queens it's insane.

Lane Kiffin has voluntarily left one program in his life. He left Tennessee to go back to USC where he coached, where his wife was from, and who was, at the time, a top 5 program in the country in Los freaking Angeles. He's said many times that it's the only school where he would have left Tennessee for. And believe it or not, I believe him. I don't go out looking for the worst in people.

Nick Saban left Toledo to go to Michigan State, left Michigan State to go to LSU, left LSU to go to the Dolphins, left the Dolphins to go to Alabama. Todd Graham left Pittsburgh after one year to go to Arizona State. Steve Sarkisian left Wash to go to USC.

How can you label a guy who has coached 2 universities as "not a program builder?" 

• mweb08 likes this
@PeterDiLutis

#153 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:31 PM

Like I said, a guy like Frost or Norvell could grow with the program. Kiffin will jump ship as soon as he has a glimmer of success (or gets booted for recruiting violations). He'd be an awful choice here.

Why do you think those guys would grow with the program? Because you are a Terps fanatic and you want them to? Can you give me an example of someone coming to a stepping stone school at a young age and "growing with the program?" The only reason Ralph stayed is because he was old, fat, and a MD alum and he still almost left to coach in the NFL.

No one worth hiring that is young and on the right side of their careers are going to stay here.

@PeterDiLutis

#154 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,522 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:32 PM

I'm not interested in Lane Kiffin because I think he's overrated, not because he left Tennessee for USC after one season.

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#155 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,358 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:32 PM

Lane Kiffin has voluntarily left one program in his life. He left Tennessee to go back to USC where he coached, where his wife was from, and who was, at the time, a top 5 program in the country in Los freaking Angeles. He's said many times that it's the only school where he would have left Tennessee for. And believe it or not, I believe him. I don't go out looking for the worst in people.

Nick Saban left Toledo to go to Michigan State, left Michigan State to go to LSU, left LSU to go to the Dolphins, left the Dolphins to go to Alabama. Todd Graham left Pittsburgh after one year to go to Arizona State. Steve Sarkisian left Wash to go to USC.

How can you label a guy who has coached 2 universities as "not a program builder?" 

We get it, you have a man-crush on Lane Kiffin. It's fine.

And Todd Graham leaving Pitt was a POS move. And we all know Saban only cares about the next job. But Sarkisian? Seriously? He was at Washington for 5 years. Horrible example.

@BSLZackKiesel

#156 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:33 PM

I actually think Kiffin would be more inclined to stay here because he's already been in the SEC and he's already coached at and lost his dream job due to expectations. He'd be treated as a rock god here if he averaged 9 wins wearing cool uniforms and playing an offensive style. Kind of like Petrino went back to Louisville...I think he's more likely to stay there and be comfortable than go somewhere else if his stock is high again.

A guy like Frost on the other hand never has had that opportunity so as soon as a big boy comes calling, he's going to go.

@PeterDiLutis

#157 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:34 PM

Not as much as Nestor, though.
  • Mike in STL likes this

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#158 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:35 PM

We get it, you have a man-crush on Lane Kiffin. It's fine.

And Todd Graham leaving Pitt was a POS move. And we all know Saban only cares about the next job. But Sarkisian? Seriously? He was at Washington for 5 years. Horrible example.

I disagree about Saban as well. Why do you think he only cares about the next job. Labeling coaches as selfish really strikes a nerve with me, so I'm a bit more passionate and strong-minded with this debate.

Let's look at Nick Saban....

He coached at Toledo and had an offer from Mich St. Who here wouldn't make that jump? 

Then he went from the Big 10 to LSU, one of the storied schools in the best conference in the sport. Who here wouldn't make that jump?

Then he went to the NFL. Again, who wouldn't do that?

When he didn't have a franchise QB and felt that the NFL wasn't for him, he went back to Bama, and has been there for 10 years.

So where in there did Saban do something that any other coach or any employee in any business wouldn't do? 

@PeterDiLutis

#159 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:35 PM

Not as much as Nestor, though.

Nice contribution to the thread! 

@PeterDiLutis

#160 Markus