232 replies to this topic

#181 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:58 PM

Then why did USC fire him halfway through the season?

The UT record matters because he did nothing to set them up long-term. As you said, he took his recruits with him, and obviously didn't get good enough ones who needed to stay. So why on earth would Maryland want that kind of guy here?

They fired him because they were a preseason #1 the year before and underachieved, and then the next year they had 2 losses and that wasn't good enough for USC. If you were defending him, I think the case can be made that he never recovered from the sanctions. They had lots of skill players but their lack of depth cost them in a good conference.

But he took over at UT, and turned a 5-7 team into a 7-5 team and had a top 5 recruiting class coming in the following year. Then he went to USC and went 8-5 and 10-2 in 2 years in which he was operating under the worst sanctions since SMU. Then they were preseason #1 and he went 7-5 the following year. That was very under-achieving. Then was 3-1, lost their 2nd game to AZ State and got fired the following year.

BTW - Nick Saban doesn't hire bad people/coaches.

He gets a bad rap because he was young when Oakland hired him and he left UT after a year but he's a very good football coach, great recruiter, and all of his players LOVE him.

Edsall is not a good recruiter by the way. Just because he got a couple good prospects in here doesn't make him a good recruiter. Lane Kiffin is one of the top recruiters in the country. He would consistently bring 4-5 stars to MD. Edsall was not a good recruiter. 

@PeterDiLutis

#182 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:00 PM

He wasn't really at Tennessee long enough to judge him, and he came into a bad situation with USC.

I will say that his dad was a disaster at USC.

Yeah, he hired his dad, which everyone at the time was happy about because he is one of the best d-coordinators ever. But he didn't translate to college, probably because he didn't get the same amount of time to teach/coach. And then Lane is in a tough position in having to fire his Dad...just wasn't a great position. But it's not like it was dumb for hiring his dad...that was lauded as one of the reasons to have Lane.

Thanks for backing me up a bit here MWEB. People like DJ want to be sensational and believe what they read in the 9am comics about people and that becomes their opinion of that person forever. Again, Lane was a hit as a coach at UT, left after a year for a dream job, and then was hit with sanctions right away and he couldn't recover. It's just funny how people get reputations and then can't shake them.

@PeterDiLutis

#183 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:01 PM

Chip Kelly stayed there four years.

Your point? 

@PeterDiLutis

#184 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:02 PM

He gets a bad rap because he was young when Oakland hired him and he left UT after a year but he's a very good football coach, great recruiter, and all of his players LOVE him.

Agree Kiffin is a great recruiter. He'd be an upgrade over Edsall, easily (but that doesn't mean he'd get classes like he did at USC). Disagree on "a very good football coach." There were reasons he struggled at USC, but one of them, IMO, was some very questionable decision-making on his part. As far as I'm concerned, from a tactical standpoint he'd be a marginal upgrade over Edsall. And as for the players loving him.....they way they all rallied around Ed Orgeron after Kiffin was fired would seem to indicate otherwise to me.

#185 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:02 PM

He wasn't really at Tennessee long enough to judge him...

Which is his fault.

and he came into a bad situation with USC.

Which he couldn't work with, when he could have had a significant amount of slack. He did go 10-2, then followed it with 7-6 and was fired at 3-2 (and again, his interim replacements went 7-2 and won a bowl game).

It was his fault that his dream job became available? Lol

Btw, someone that is borderline good enough for USC is probably more than good enough for Maryland.

#186 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:03 PM

Then why did USC fire him halfway through the season?

The UT record matters because he did nothing to set them up long-term. As you said, he took his recruits with him, and obviously didn't get good enough ones who needed to stay. So why on earth would Maryland want that kind of guy here?

What do you mean why would they want that kind of guy? Wake up bud. This isn't the good old days in your mom's basement sitting around the campfire singing I love you you love me. This is big boy sports DJ. If Scott Frost is recruiting a 5 star QB for Oregon and he comes to MD...guess what, he's going to try to bring him with him and MD fans are going to want him to come.

Kiffin, Monte, and Orgeron were the top 3 recruiters for UT. They all went to USC. The players didn't want to stay at UT anymore because they committed to the coaches...BECAUSE THEY ARE EXCELLENT RECRUITERS! Why would they want to stay at UT with Derek Dooley as opposed to going to play for one of the storied programs in college football in Hollywood for the Kiffins? Which, BTW, are the same reasons that Kiffin himself left. 

Good grief you are freaking dense. 

@PeterDiLutis

#187 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:05 PM

Agree Kiffin is a great recruiter. He'd be an upgrade over Edsall, easily (but that doesn't mean he'd get classes like he did at USC). Disagree on "a very good football coach." There were reasons he struggled at USC, but one of them, IMO, was some very questionable decision-making on his part. As far as I'm concerned, from a tactical standpoint he'd be a marginal upgrade over Edsall. And as for the players loving him.....they way they all rallied around Ed Orgeron after Kiffin was fired would seem to indicate otherwise to me.

Woah. Marginal upgrade over Edsall? Man, I don't know. I think Edsall is the worst tactical coach I've ever seen in any sport at any level. 

By the way, we can talk about how the Raiders organization is dysfunctional and that's clearly true especially back in those days under Al Davis. But I don't think a guy could be hired at 33 to coach an NFL team unless he had something seriously good going for him, and then for Nick Saban to hire him...I respect Saban's opinion probably more than 98% of anyone else involved in the coaching world. So I'd tend to disagree with you on that one.

Not saying he's as good as Saban or Belichick or Mark Dantonio but on a scale from 1-10, I'd put Edsall at a 1 and Kiffin probably at a 7. 

@PeterDiLutis

#188 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,551 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:06 PM

Gotta hand it to DiLutis. When he shows up he shows up guns blazing.
  • PD24 likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#189 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:10 PM

Gotta hand it to DiLutis. When he shows up he shows up guns blazing.

Well, it's the only place anyone can hear him.

@DJ_McCann

#190 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:12 PM

People like you are precisely why we don't take phone calls anymore. You're a total prick and you contribute nothing to the threads. There are lots of intelligent people here in this thread. Bmore, Mweb, Zack, Jeremy...you on the other hand add absolutely nothing and it's a trend with you over the years. You're a prick and you have a chip on your shoulder for no reason. WNST doesn't want your interactions because you make all sports fans dumber for having read your opinions. Stay here. 

@PeterDiLutis

#191 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,551 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:12 PM

I like Pete. He's a Stones and Lakers fan and he's usually got a well reasoned argument (except about Nick Young last year).

That said, this is funny.

@bopper33

#192 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:13 PM

I like Pete. He's a Stones and Lakers fan and he's usually got a well reasoned argument (except about Nick Young last year).

Back at ya Pedro! Appreciate it. Did you read the ESPN article about the Lakers position if Kobe wants to play another year? Thought it was one of the best articles I've read in a long time and I pretty much agree with the conclusion word for word. 

@PeterDiLutis

#193 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:14 PM

It got real real up in hurre
  • BSLZackKiesel and DJ MC like this

#194 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,551 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:14 PM

Back at ya Pedro! Appreciate it. Did you read the ESPN article about the Lakers position if Kobe wants to play another year? Thought it was one of the best articles I've read in a long time and I pretty much agree with the conclusion word for word.

Haven't read it but I will. Haven't gotten into NBA mode yet.

@bopper33

#195 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:15 PM

People like you are precisely why we don't take phone calls anymore. You're a total prick and you contribute nothing to the threads. There are lots of intelligent people here in this thread. Bmore, Mweb, Zack, Jeremy...you on the other hand add absolutely nothing and it's a trend with you over the years. You're a prick and you have a chip on your shoulder for no reason. WNST doesn't want your interactions because you make all sports fans dumber for having read your opinions. Stay here. 

Hey, I didn't start it today. I was fine having a discussion. You brought the personal BS into it, and after all the times you've complained about it in the past.

Guess I was right all along about your boss rubbing off on you.

@DJ_McCann

#196 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:20 PM

Hey, I didn't start it today. I was fine having a discussion. You brought the personal BS into it, and after all the times you've complained about it in the past.

Guess I was right all along about your boss rubbing off on you.

As for your point, you were talking about Lane Kiffin being a bad guy because he took recruits with him to his next coaching stop. I was trying to point out that this isn't pee wee football. This is real stuff and that happens on the regular, and will also happen to MD's benefit if they hire a coach that has recruits good enough to come play for us. I'm sorry if you took that the wrong way. 

As for my boss, hey, you gotta take what you can get, right? Can't all be Orioles stadium tour guides. 

@PeterDiLutis

#197 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:45 PM

I liked Pete better before his balls dropped. I swore the kid was 30 when he was really 13 over at OH. He knows I love him, but the smugness is annoying. On the other hand, battling DJ is not annoying.

#198 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:55 PM

Nobody here knows Kiffin... nobody here knows any of them... the only thing people have to base an opinion on is what people see from a distance... and from a distance it looks like Kiffin is (1) worried mainly about Kiffin, and (2) has a knack for driving into great big pot holes, rep-wise... he doesn't seem like the kind of guy I'd trust to care about what's good for the school's program...  

IMO, just the way he treated TN is reason enough to not trust him... it demonstrates he's more than happy to use those who hire him, regardless of the consequences for those he's using... the debacle after that is just icing on the upside-down cake... he may have several legit positive attributes, but honor and trustworthiness are not among them... I understand that coaches like to climb the ladder, but lots of them do that without leaving a bad taste in their wake... and the last thing MD needs is another guy who leaves a bad taste...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#199 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 05:02 PM

I liked Pete better before his balls dropped. I swore the kid was 30 when he was really 13 over at OH. He knows I love him, but the smugness is annoying. On the other hand, battling DJ is not annoying.

I am lots of things but smug is not one! Sorry if I come across that way. And I won't be 30 until 2020! 

@PeterDiLutis

#200 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 05:05 PM

Nobody here knows Kiffin... nobody here knows any of them... the only thing people have to base an opinion on is what people see from a distance... and from a distance it looks like Kiffin is (1) worried mainly about Kiffin, and (2) has a knack for driving into great big pot holes, rep-wise... he doesn't seem like the kind of guy I'd trust to care about what's good for the school's program...  

IMO, just the way he treated TN is reason enough to not trust him... it demonstrates he's more than happy to use those who hire him, regardless of the consequences for those he's using... the debacle after that is just icing on the upside-down cake... he may have several legit positive attributes, but honor and trustworthiness are not among them... I understand that coaches like to climb the ladder, but lots of them do that without leaving a bad taste in their wake... and the last thing MD needs is another guy who leaves a bad taste...

Rshack...to be fair, how would you handle leaving a program after 1 year? 

My thoughts on Saban and Kiffin have been like this for a while, so it's nothing that's coming directly from this thread or Edsall's firing. I just hate when someone gets labeled as something without really examining the situation.

You're a pretty reasonable, intelligent guy....How would you handle if you are NIck Saban, you don't like it in the NFL, your family is miserable, it's not for you....and you want to go back to college, but you still have more games to honor? Seems like the coach is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Especially considering Bobby Petrino quit with 3 games left in a lost season in Atlanta and everyone called him a coward for quitting. Whereas Saban stuck in, gave his players his full attention, then was still labeled selfish after.

As for Kiffin, I hate to keep repeating myself. But the guy got hired by the Raiders at 33, was fired when Al Davis was losing his mind, got hired by Tennessee, and then his dream job opened up and he left. What better way could he have treated UT? Stuck around there for 2 more years and been unhappy wishing he would have took the USC job? Or stuck around for 2 more years, don't win, and then get fired? Loyalty goes both ways as well. 

@PeterDiLutis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=