#21 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 08 July 2015 - 02:25 PM

Change smartly to unwisely. It's a sport you don't respect, which is unfortunate. You've probably never tried to understand it.

It's not hard to understand.

#22 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 08 July 2015 - 02:26 PM

Every golfer on tour is a better athlete than Bud Norris

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#23 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 02:27 PM

He's a few months older.

It's apples to oranges. Davis is at least as good at basketball as Spieth is at golf. The latter plays in an individual sport with 4 chances a year to win a major title while the other has to rely on teammates to win the lone title each year.

As far as Davis'accomplishments, well first team all NBA and second team all defense at the age of 21, led a poor team to the playoffs in a tough conference, and led the league with a historically great PER. Oh, but there's also his one year in college where he led Kentucky to a title while winning the most outstanding player in the final 4 and winning the major playor of the year awards.

Spieth was a 2 time winner of the junior amateur tourney. Tiger is the only other player to do that.

Yeah, that will be a big part of his legacy 10 years from now.

#24 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 02:34 PM

He was an amateur, just like Davis.

#25 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 02:35 PM

Apparently, it is for you. I'm actually disappointed. You're usually not so dismissive of something without proper understanding and research.

#26 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 July 2015 - 02:37 PM

Well, since you brought up what Davis did in college....

#27 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 06:31 PM

He was an amateur, just like Davis.

Ha, OK. Same significance right?

#28 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 06:32 PM

Apparently, it is for you. I'm actually disappointed. You're usually not so dismissive of something without proper understanding and research.

Dismissive of what exactly? My stance on golf vs sports like basketball isn't about being dismissive or disrespectful, it's just common sense.

#29 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 06:45 PM

Dismissive of what exactly? My stance on golf vs sports like basketball isn't about being dismissive or disrespectful, it's just common sense.

No it isn't common sense. You don't want to get into a this sport vs that sport debate anyway. How much more credit should you give basketball players than baseball players. What about football or track or soccer. You don't get to set aside golf as "other" and have a chuckle.

#30 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 07:55 PM

No it isn't common sense. You don't want to get into a this sport vs that sport debate anyway. How much more credit should you give basketball players than baseball players. What about football or track or soccer. You don't get to set aside golf as "other" and have a chuckle.

Actually I do because golf is clearly much less athletic. If a basketball player and a golfer are relatively close in terms of accomplishments or whatever, I'm going with the athlete in the sport that requires a great deal more athleticism and has much more competition to become among the best in.

#31 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 07:58 PM

Regardless of who you think has accomplished more, one reason to take Davis that has nothing to do with the athletic differences between the sports is that I think a basketball player that has become this good by age 21 and lacks physical or personality concerns is a better bet to remain dominant than a golfer, where guys seem to have more of a chance of falling off.

#32 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 07:59 PM

Ok.

Spieth>Davis. The majority agree.

#33 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 08:01 PM

Ok.

Spieth>Davis. The majority agree.

Haha. What majority are you even talking about? And you know I'm right about golf, but keep talking about how I'm disrespecting it.

#34 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 08:04 PM

Regardless of who you think has accomplished more, one reason to take Davis that has nothing to do with the athletic differences between the sports is that I think a basketball player that has become this good by age 21 and lacks physical or personality concerns is a better bet to remain dominant than a golfer, where guys seem to have more of a chance of falling off.

Way off. Golfers hit their prime in their late 20s into their mid 30s. Davis is an injury concern in a physical game.

#35 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 08:10 PM

Way off. Golfers hit their prime in their late 20s into their mid 30s. Davis is an injury concern in a physical game.

Not talking about hitting their prime, talking about the chances of a great in the sport at such a young age falling off. I would be more surprised if Davis isn't a dominant basketball player over the next 10 years compared to Spieth. Golf greatness seems less predictable and consistent.

But sure, he could be the next Tiger or close to it for all I know. And of course injuries could detail anyone being discussed for this.

#36 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 08:11 PM

Haha. What majority are you even talking about? And you know I'm right about golf, but keep talking about how I'm disrespecting it.

The majority of knowledgeable sports fans. And yeah, Rob made a crazy argument back in the day about walking the golf course vs running the court in basketball. That's a different argument. You disrespect golf, it's skill and athleticism. I'm guessing you do it without ever really playing it, or trying.

#37 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 08:13 PM

I will take Spieth being more accomplished in golf vs Davis in basketball over the next decade.

#38 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 08 July 2015 - 08:24 PM

Is the argument who is the better athlete? Or who has accomplished more in their sport?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#39 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 08:24 PM

The majority of knowledgeable sports fans. And yeah, Rob made a crazy argument back in the day about walking the golf course vs running the court in basketball. That's a different argument. You disrespect golf, it's skill and athleticism. I'm guessing you do it without ever really playing it, or trying.

I've played plenty of times. There's a lot of skill involved and a fair amount of athleticism, but it can't be compared to basketball or various other sports. Clear drop-off.

#40 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 08:27 PM

Is the argument who is the better athlete? Or who has accomplished more in their sport?

Multiple arguments going on. You pick.

I don't think it's a no brainer that Spieth is ahead of Davis in terms of this Mount Rushmore question. I can understand the case for him, but can't see how it's not even up for discussion. But then again, I love arguing so...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=