66 replies to this topic

#61 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 19 April 2022 - 11:53 PM

I was looking for an old thread, but this will do just fine lol.

How's Jordan Spieth been doing?

But more importantly, I love how a 46 year old who nearly had his leg amputated a little over a year ago was able to complete a tournament in a more physically demanding sport than basketball. LOLOLOLOL

On a serious note, good for Tiger.

Spieth just won the RBC Heritage this past weekend. Not a major, but a staple on the calendar for sure. The win made him the youngest player to reach $50M in career earnings (inflation though). 

11th in the FedEx Cup rankings. 10th in the World Golf Rankings. On the winning side of last years Ryder Cup and a runner up in The Open Championship.

This while his putter has been ice cold for a year, and he's going through some odd swing mechanics, looking completely uncomfortable out there. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#62 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,353 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 20 April 2022 - 05:51 AM

Spieth just won the RBC Heritage this past weekend. Not a major, but a staple on the calendar for sure. The win made him the youngest player to reach $50M in career earnings (inflation though).

11th in the FedEx Cup rankings. 10th in the World Golf Rankings. On the winning side of last years Ryder Cup and a runner up in The Open Championship.

This while his putter has been ice cold for a year, and he's going through some odd swing mechanics, looking completely uncomfortable out there.

Yeah, maybe he's figured things out and will be good again.

The point I made about golfers being less predictable held up very well though in this case as much of his career success occurred beforehand and he completely fell off for a long stretch there.

#63 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,353 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 07:10 AM

AD turned out to be a poor pick as well due to injury and being surpassed in the NBA. He's remained elite while healthy though, which was more easily predictable as I said.

#64 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 04:16 PM

Yeah, maybe he's figured things out and will be good again.

The point I made about golfers being less predictable held up very well though in this case as much of his career success occurred beforehand and he completely fell off for a long stretch there.

He fell off for a bit in 2019 and had limited opportunities to get back up in 2020 (Covid) But ended 2021 back up to 15th in the world.

But I think he’s also a hall of famer if he falls off a cliff tomorrow, that’s how much he has accomplished. Also still only 28 y/o. Plenty of time to tack on more accolades.

Golfers success is very unpredictable. Winning on tour is incredibly hard to do. The amount of talent on tour is crazy good right now. Rory is one of the best, 7th in the world, and has the same amount of wins since 2019 as Jordan. There won’t ever be another Tiger who spent 281 straight weeks at #1, and held a #1 spot for a cumulative amount of time equaling 13+ years.
@BSLMikeRandall

#65 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,353 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 04:51 PM

He fell off for a bit in 2019 and had limited opportunities to get back up in 2020 (Covid) But ended 2021 back up to 15th in the world.

But I think he’s also a hall of famer if he falls off a cliff tomorrow, that’s how much he has accomplished. Also still only 28 y/o. Plenty of time to tack on more accolades.

Golfers success is very unpredictable. Winning on tour is incredibly hard to do. The amount of talent on tour is crazy good right now. Rory is one of the best, 7th in the world, and has the same amount of wins since 2019 as Jordan. There won’t ever be another Tiger who spent 281 straight weeks at #1, and held a #1 spot for a cumulative amount of time equaling 13+ years.

Yeah, I think you're agreeing with me. He's had a great career already. His resume since this thread was started is one that isn't even worth mentioning in the context of the thread, though. Maybe he'll get back to being great.

My main reason for the bump though was to bring up the golf being more physically demanding than basketball argument. I don't care if Rob isn't here anymore; I will periodically bring that up to the day I die lol.

#66 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 05:46 PM

Yeah, I think you're agreeing with me. He's had a great career already. His resume since this thread was started is one that isn't even worth mentioning in the context of the thread, though. Maybe he'll get back to being great.

My main reason for the bump though was to bring up the golf being more physically demanding than basketball argument. I don't care if Rob isn't here anymore; I will periodically bring that up to the day I die lol.

Needed a pat on the back, eh?
  • BobPhelan and Pedro Cerrano like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#67 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,353 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 06:42 PM

Needed a pat on the back, eh?