#1 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 July 2015 - 08:21 AM

I am taking this idea from Mike and Mike.  This morning they were discussing who are the greatest athletes, in any sport, that are 25 and younger.  Now, the premise isn't who has accomplished more up until this point in their careers but who will be the best in 10 years(2025).

Unlike the other 3 threads I made, this is for all sports.

So, do you put Missy Franklin in yours?  Conor McDavid(or another NHL player?)  Spieth?  Lydia Ko, who has 7 LPGA wins and is only 18?  

#2 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 08:54 AM

Bryce Harper, Mike Trout, Steven Stamkos, Jordan Speith.
@BSLMikeRandall

#3 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 08 July 2015 - 08:56 AM

All white guys huh Mike ;)

Edit: I hope you know I am just busting your balls.

<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#4 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 08:59 AM

All white guys huh Mike ;)

Edit: I hope you know I am just busting your balls.

Lol. That never crossed my mind.
@BSLMikeRandall

#5 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 08 July 2015 - 11:08 AM

Trout, Anthony Davis, Luck, Conor McDavid (based on my vast hockey expertise)

#6 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 July 2015 - 11:22 AM

I think Luck and Trout would have to be on my list...and it would be tough to leave Davis off too.  

#7 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 July 2015 - 11:26 AM

On Mike and Mike, they felt Missy Franklin had to be on there given the success she has already had and likely to have over the next 5-10 years.

#8 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 11:34 AM

On Mike and Mike, they felt Missy Franklin had to be on there given the success she has already had and likely to have over the next 5-10 years.

Maybe. I don't know enough about her prospects to really know one way or another, but I'd also guess that there are some other Olympians 25 and younger that have just as bright, if not brighter futures ahead of them. Probably some great young X Gamers too. ;)

#9 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 July 2015 - 11:38 AM

Spieth looks great too...but does he have to do more?  

Of course, he has accomplished more than a guy like Davis has.

#10 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 11:50 AM

Spieth looks great too...but does he have to do more?  

Of course, he has accomplished more than a guy like Davis has.

That's arguable.

#11 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 12:51 PM

That's arguable.

No it isn't.

As good as Franklin is swimming, the other girl from MD is just as big a beast, if not bigger. Ledecky.

#12 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 12:58 PM

That's arguable.
No it isn't.

As good as Franklin is swimming, the other girl from MD is just as big a beast, if not bigger. Ledecky.

My comment had nothing to do with either of them or swimming.

#13 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 01:48 PM

Spieth has accomplished more than Davis. End of story.

#14 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 01:51 PM

Spieth has accomplished more than Davis. End of story.

Good argument.

#15 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 July 2015 - 01:53 PM

Good argument.

Well he has.

I mean, Davis is a top 5 player in the league(maybe #2?) and he has put up some great numbers but he hasn't reach the top of his profession, is older than Spieth and has had injury issues.

I think winning tourneys, including 2 majors and being top 10 in several other tourneys is worth a lot more than putting up big stats in the NBA.

#16 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 02:02 PM

Well he has.

I mean, Davis is a top 5 player in the league(maybe #2?) and he has put up some great numbers but he hasn't reach the top of his profession, is older than Spieth and has had injury issues.

I think winning tourneys, including 2 majors and being top 10 in several other tourneys is worth a lot more than putting up big stats in the NBA.

Mike has made it known he has a lack of respect for golfers. With that in mind, there really is no reason to argue with him.

#17 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 02:03 PM

Good argument.

Well he has.

He's a few months older.

It's apples to oranges. Davis is at least as good at basketball as Spieth is at golf. The latter plays in an individual sport with 4 chances a year to win a major title while the other has to rely on teammates to win the lone title each year.

As far as Davis'accomplishments, well first team all NBA and second team all defense at the age of 21, led a poor team to the playoffs in a tough conference, and led the league with a historically great PER. Oh, but there's also his one year in college where he led Kentucky to a title while winning the most outstanding player in the final 4 and winning the major playor of the year awards.

#18 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 02:05 PM

Well he has.

Mike has made it known he has a lack of respect for golfers. With that in mind, there really is no reason to argue with him.

If by lack of respect, you mean I smartly don't consider them as great as athletes as basketball players among others, then yes.

#19 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 July 2015 - 02:12 PM

He's a few months older.

It's apples to oranges. Davis is at least as good at basketball as Spieth is at golf. The latter plays in an individual sport with 4 chances a year to win a major title while the other has to rely on teammates to win the lone title each year.

As far as Davis'accomplishments, well first team all NBA and second team all defense at the age of 21, led a poor team to the playoffs in a tough conference, and led the league with a historically great PER. Oh, but there's also his one year in college where he led Kentucky to a title while winning the most outstanding player in the final 4 and winning the major playor of the year awards.

Spieth was a 2 time winner of the junior amateur tourney. Tiger is the only other player to do that.

#20 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 02:13 PM

Change smartly to unwisely. It's a sport you don't respect, which is unfortunate. You've probably never tried to understand it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=