#41 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 08 July 2015 - 08:28 PM

Well it depends what your criteria are for putting them on Mt Rushmore.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#42 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 08 July 2015 - 08:33 PM

Of course. I have no problem admitting that for me, a golfer needs to do more to make the cut. No pun intended.

That said, I think Davis has had at least as an impressive post high school run as Spieth has and I'm more confident in him continuing his dominance.

#43 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 08 July 2015 - 08:35 PM

It's not what they have done now....  Its who you think will have the better career in 10 years.  Accolades and all.

<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#44 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 July 2015 - 08:57 PM

The majority of knowledgeable sports fans. And yeah, Rob made a crazy argument back in the day about walking the golf course vs running the court in basketball. That's a different argument. You disrespect golf, it's skill and athleticism. I'm guessing you do it without ever really playing it, or trying.

My argument was that real golf...ie you are walking(usually in hot temps), 4 day tourney, practicing , etc....is more taxing on your body long term than basketball is. The amount of torque you put on your back and knees isn't good for them. When I saw a surgeon for my back, he said the worst thing you can do for your back is golf...if your back is fucked, then you are fucked.

I stand by that.

I did say that a guy like LeBron is unique because of how physical he is but many players aren't like that, especially in today's gsme of standing outside and shooting 3s.

So, while my point isn't correct across the board, I do feel it's correct in general terms.

#45 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 July 2015 - 09:00 PM

Is the argument who is the better athlete? Or who has accomplished more in their sport?

Who would put on Mt Rushmore for pro athletes first....Bo Jackson or Ripken?

I mean, Bo is clearly the better athlete, right?

#46 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 09:13 PM

The majority of knowledgeable sports fans. And yeah, Rob made a crazy argument back in the day about walking the golf course vs running the court in basketball. That's a different argument. You disrespect golf, it's skill and athleticism. I'm guessing you do it without ever really playing it, or trying.

My argument was that real golf...ie you are walking(usually in hot temps), 4 day tourney, practicing , etc....is more taxing on your body long term than basketball is. The amount of torque you put on your back and knees isn't good for them. When I saw a surgeon for my back, he said the worst thing you can do for your back is golf...if your back is fucked, then you are fucked.

I stand by that.

I did say that a guy like LeBron is unique because of how physical he is but many players aren't like that, especially in today's gsme of standing outside and shooting 3s.

So, while my point isn't correct across the board, I do feel it's correct in general terms.

You're changing a lot of your argument here. Regardless, what's tougher on your back doesn't solely equate to what's tougher on one physically.

#47 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 July 2015 - 09:14 PM

You're changing a lot of your argument here. Regardless, what's tougher on your back doesn't solely equate to what's tougher on one physically.

I'm not changing it...that is what my argument is.

I said golf was physically more demanding and I believe that.

#48 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 09:16 PM

I'm not changing it...that is what my argument is.

I said golf was physically more demanding and I believe that.

You are changing it, but it's close enough and doesn't matter because it's laughable either way.

#49 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 July 2015 - 09:18 PM

You are changing it, but it's close enough and doesn't matter because it's laughable either way.

Laughable is thinking that players will stand around the 3pt, trot up and down the court 20-25 min a game and play defense at times are putting their body through a lot of physical harm.

And yes, that describes a majority of the NBA.

#50 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 09:20 PM

Laughable is thinking that players will stand around the 3pt, trot up and down the court 20-25 min a game and play defense at times are putting their body through a lot of physical harm.

And yes, that describes a majority of the NBA.

Are you on stage all night?

#51 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 July 2015 - 09:29 PM

Are you on stage all night?

Except when I need a rest...then I will go play basketball.
  • Russ and RShack like this

#52 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 09:31 PM

See DJ. Rob knows humor. The last few posts have been hilarious!

#53 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 July 2015 - 09:31 PM

Not as funny as the uneducated posts you have made in this thread.

#54 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 09:33 PM

Not as funny as the uneducated posts you have made in this thread.

You're on a roll.

#55 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 09 July 2015 - 07:27 AM

UFC version:

Rory MacDonald, Paige VanZant, Max Holloway, Mirsad Bektic

#56 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 09:17 AM

So who would make the top 4 from the previous 10 years? Some contenders off the top of my head: Phelps, Bolt, Serena, Fed, Nadal, Novak, Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Peterson, Pujols, Cabrera, Kershaw, Messi, Mayweather, Silva, Jon Jones, GSP, Ovechkin, Crosby, Shaun White.

#57 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,087 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 10:00 AM

So who would make the top 4 from the previous 10 years? Some contenders off the top of my head: Phelps, Bolt, Serena, Fed, Nadal, Novak, Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Peterson, Pujols, Cabrera, Kershaw, Messi, Mayweather, Silva, Jon Jones, GSP, Ovechkin, Crosby, Shaun White.

LBJ, LTomlinson, Lundqvist, Megatron, Ronaldo,  Svetlana Khorkina (she is higher than Phelps). 

#58 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 10:43 AM

LBJ, LTomlinson, Lundqvist, Megatron, Ronaldo,  Svetlana Khorkina (she is higher than Phelps). 

Ha. Can't believe I left off LeBron. Had him on the first time, but then I had to start over. Good ones. Sadly, I don't even know Khorkina. Explain please.

#59 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,087 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 10:55 AM

Ha. Can't believe I left off LeBron. Had him on the first time, but then I had to start over. Good ones. Sadly, I don't even know Khorkina. Explain please.

I was looking at her she maybe a little old for the past 10 years but she revolutionized and is known as the best gymnast of all time.  They have moves named after her and grading points.  1994 to 2006 she owned every Olympics in between.

#60 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 19 April 2022 - 07:50 PM

I was looking for an old thread, but this will do just fine lol.

How's Jordan Spieth been doing?

But more importantly, I love how a 46 year old who nearly had his leg amputated a little over a year ago was able to complete a tournament in a more physically demanding sport than basketball. LOLOLOLOL

On a serious note, good for Tiger.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=