Lol. Sure.

#362 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,286 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 02:13 PM

Will be interesting to see the corresponding move when Hays returns. Have to think its Smith or Vailaka. Hopefully Smith.

#363 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,962 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 02:20 PM

Lol. Sure.

In completely unrelated news, Jeff Gillooly was spotted in Baltimore today with $1,000 in crisp new bills.

#364 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 02:48 PM

Chris Davis on the IL

Did he step in the Ubaldo pothole?
@BSLMikeRandall

#365 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 August 2020 - 02:54 PM

It's one of those persistent headaches that will subside in about 35 games or so. 

#366 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,641 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 August 2020 - 03:00 PM

Did he step in the Ubaldo pothole?

I believe it is a nerve issue.  His play has gotten on Hyde's.

• You Play to Win the Game, BobPhelan and BSLSteveBirrer like this
@mikeghg

#367 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 21 August 2020 - 03:15 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=VI6dsMeABpU

#368 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,882 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 05:15 PM

I might watch my first game of the year now. 🙂

#369 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,748 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 23 August 2020 - 07:14 PM

Couple nice doubles roped down the LF line and another walk for Mountcastle today.

#370 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,264 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 06:54 AM

Balt Sun: Ryan Mountcastle’s two homers not enough as Orioles lose to Blue Jays, 6-5, on another walk-off hit

#371 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,321 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 31 August 2020 - 09:45 AM

Its early.

He will have struggles along the way.

But man you sure have to like what we've seen so far! Kids got game.

• BobPhelan likes this

#372 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,264 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 08:51 AM

Hyde on Mountcastle: “He showed you the raw power, he’s playing a nice left field and he’s playing hungry. And it’s really fun to watch a young guy with hype playing with this much energy and this much confidence. He’s been a big boost and it’s been a lot of fun to watch him.”

#373 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,641 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 September 2020 - 12:03 PM

It is a very small sample size, but I really like his swing and his plate coverage.

Again, very short amount of time, but he seems to have the swagger and the it factor.

@mikeghg

#374 Ruzious

Ruzious
  • Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 03:32 AM

What bugs me... the stat guys who implied over and over that Mountcastle isn't much of a prospect because of one stat - his very low walk rate.  And you know those people will just say they were just pointing out how unusual it is - not predicting he'd fail.  Yeah, they were effectively predicting he'd fail.    

• russsnyder and Old Man like this

#375 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 01:57 PM

What bugs me... the stat guys who implied over and over that Mountcastle isn't much of a prospect because of one stat - his very low walk rate.  And you know those people will just say they were just pointing out how unusual it is - not predicting he'd fail.  Yeah, they were effectively predicting he'd fail.    

I thought that the knock on RM was his defensive limitations, bat prowess was never thought to be an issue.

#376 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,379 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 15 September 2020 - 02:09 PM

I thought that the knock on RM was his defensive limitations, bat prowess was never thought to be an issue.

Defense was/is a huge question. Doesn't quite fit a couple different spots, so can he be passable at any one of them enough to be in the lineup everyday? We've seen that issue up close recently with guys like Trumbo out in the OF.

The walk rate of his was a concern too, he's never really had good walk/k ratios which from a purely analytic view, usually shows pitch recognition being a little behind, BUT walks are one of those weird things where a guy may not walk much at all in the minors, and hit the majors and all of a sudden have an uptick in them. A part of taking walks is the mental frame of mind for them. Some guys actively look for that hit down to the last possible second. Other guys will actively work for the walk to get on base. It may be less of a pitch recognition thing than him just choosing to practice swinging for certain pitches, or trying to get better at picking up certain pitches in the minors, but in the majors he's happy to help the team and take the walk. OR, it could be an issue of taking what he's given. Until you're an established veteran there's going to be a "book" on him, and they are going to attack you more aggressively in the zone. I talked about this a while ago with Santander. Until he's done it enough to show he's going to do it consistently, they'll go after them, they aren't scared and don't respect them as hitters yet. Once they've proven they are going to hit, pitchers will adapt and start throwing more out of the zone (which means more walks) and trying to get him to chase them. That's when pitch recognition will play in, he's gotta know whats coming and when to lay off it.

He's doing a real good job of developing right before our eyes. They are working some magic down in Bowie whatever they are doing.

• Old Man likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#377 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,226 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 07:29 PM

What bugs me... the stat guys who implied over and over that Mountcastle isn't much of a prospect because of one stat - his very low walk rate. And you know those people will just say they were just pointing out how unusual it is - not predicting he'd fail. Yeah, they were effectively predicting he'd fail.

They were, I really don't know of anyone whom has walked their way to the major leagues. Why worry about a guys walk rate when he has pretty much wrecked the pitching at every level he has played at? I want this guy swinging the bat. Good things seem to happen when he does.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#378 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,264 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 07:27 AM

Camden Chat: For former top prospect Ryan Mountcastle, the future has arrived

https://www.camdench...-in-review-2020

#379 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 07:34 AM

They were, I really don't know of anyone whom has walked their way to the major leagues. Why worry about a guys walk rate when he has pretty much wrecked the pitching at every level he has played at? I want this guy swinging the bat. Good things seem to happen when he does.

Old school scouts, believe guys with low walk, dont have good pitch selection and are free swingers.

Clearly this is one of those, well, some are, but maybe some have such a good eye and skillset, they hit the ball more and dont get much of a chance to walk.

#380 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,886 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 08:19 AM

Old school scouts, believe guys with low walk, dont have good pitch selection and are free swingers.

Clearly this is one of those, well, some are, but maybe some have such a good eye and skillset, they hit the ball more and dont get much of a chance to walk.

Some guys swing at everything because they can't figure out what pitches are coming out of the hand (Austin Hays).  Other guys swing at everything because they can hit everything (Miguel Tejada).  I'd put Mountcastle in the latter category based on what I saw from him this season.

Looking only at a low walk rate is indicative but doesn't tell you everything.  Gotta see the actual approach to know if the low walks are because of bad plate discipline or because of justifiably aggressive approach.  If its because of bad plate discipline in the minors, that'll likely get worse as they climb the ladder and the overall offensive production will plummet.  If it's because of an aggressive approach with a strong hit tool, then the overall production should be more sustainable.  A low walk rate will always put a lower ceiling on a guy than someone who can draw more walks while maintaining the ISO and AVG.  OBP is very important and drives run scoring.  But you can still be a very good to great hitter without walking a lot, it's just more difficult.

• BobPhelan, BSLSteveBirrer and Old Man like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=