822 replies to this topic

#701 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 04:14 PM

World No. 1 Novak Djokovic has been defaulted from the 2020 US Open
The Serbian professional tennis player, who is currently ranked world No. 1 in men's singles tennis, was defaulted after accidentally hitting a ball at a line judge during his 4th round match against Pablo Carreno Busta.

#702 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 06 September 2020 - 05:15 PM

Guy is such a prick

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#703 B00E00N00

B00E00N00

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts
  • LocationSouthern Maryland

Posted 07 September 2020 - 10:45 AM

World No. 1 Novak Djokovic has been defaulted from the 2020 US Open
The Serbian professional tennis player, who is currently ranked world No. 1 in men's singles tennis, was defaulted after accidentally hitting a ball at a line judge during his 4th round match against Pablo Carreno Busta.

It took a Federer knee surgery, Nadal not entering due to COViD, and a Djokovic default for a player born in the 90's (guaranteed now) to win a slam.

• Mackus likes this

#704 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 12:39 PM

It took a Federer knee surgery, Nadal not entering due to COViD, and a Djokovic default for a player born in the 90's (guaranteed now) to win a slam.

I'm not an avid tennis fan, but this is an amazing stat.

I guess we usually equate tennis with golf. Golf has the beta guys out there, but even when Tiger was at his absolute best it was just as likely someone else won a major as it was Tiger or whomever one or two guys were currently near his sphere. Lots of unknowns or lower tier guys win a major here or there.

Tennis it seems like the best guy (or top few) wins or else it's a significant upset. Or are these three guys just a rare storm of 3 of the top 5 or so ever playing all at the same time?

#705 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 07 September 2020 - 12:47 PM

I guess we usually equate tennis with golf. Golf has the beta guys out there, but even when Tiger was at his absolute best it was just as likely someone else won a major as it was Tiger or whomever one or two guys were currently near his sphere. Lots of unknowns or lower tier guys win a major here or there.

Tennis it seems like the best guy (or top few) wins or else it's a significant upset. Or are these three guys just a rare storm of 3 of the top 5 or so ever playing all at the same time?

The latter. What they've done is unprecedented and I don't think it's even close. Besides being among the very best ever at their peaks, they also have absurd longevity going for them.

I would add though that while each of them are unfortunate to have to deal with the other two, they're probably fortunate that no one since them gave risen to their level, or even that close to it.

#706 B00E00N00

B00E00N00

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 05:14 PM

The trio have dominated men's singles, (since Wimbledon of 2003 Federer's 1st Grand Slam) The Big 3 have won 56 out of the 67 Grand Slam titles. Of those, Federer has 20, Nadal 19, and Djokovic 17. (Keep in the mind, when Fed won his 1st slam, Nadal was 18, and Djokovic was only 16. So given that, the 56 our 67 slams is even more impressive). The Big 3 streak of Consecutive Grand Slams Won goes as follows:

2005 French Open - 2009 Wimbledon (18 GS wins in a row).
2010 Australian Open - 2012 Wimbledon (11 GS wins in a row)

*From 2012 US Open - to 2016 US Open (the gap in the Consecutive GS streak), the Big 3 still won 11 out of the 18 GS.

2017 Australian Open - 2020 Australian (13 GS in a row) and this streak ends because of Federer having knee surgery, Nadal not playing because of COVID, and Djokovic getting himself defaulted.

Since 2004, one of the Big Three has been ranked number 1 in the world, ever year but 2016 (So the equivalent of 15 years).
As for the 2 and 3 (ranked players), I'm not going to look it up. But I can tell you the overwhelming majority of the time, the rest of the Big 3 were ranked 2 and 3 (and it's not even close).  These 3 can arguably be the best tennis players of all time.

#707 B00E00N00

B00E00N00

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 06:53 AM

Serena is out of the French Open (injury):

https://www.espn.com...achilles-injury

#708 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 08:44 PM

Sunday morning Rafa ties Fed at 20 or Djoker closes the gap on both and gets 18.

#709 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 11 October 2020 - 05:43 PM

Nadal gets record-tying 20th Slam title at French

#710 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 03 February 2021 - 10:02 AM

Australian Open is set to kick off on Monday.  The tournament is actually starting a few weeks later than historically when it is held.  They have been extremely cautious in getting ready for the event.  Players came into the country weeks a head of time followed by a strict quarantine before being able to head out and practice.

#711 B00E00N00

B00E00N00

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 12:32 AM

It's really going to mess with my sleeping schedule.  But that's okay, there is only 4 Slams a year (hopefully they can all be played.).

#712 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 09:01 AM

ESPN: Australian Open: Naomi Osaka the semifinal favorite, but never count Serena Williams
https://www.espn.com...na-williams-out

#713 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 11:17 AM

People to have beaten a big 4 member in a major final:

Del Potro
Wawrinka (x3)

People who have tried:

Phillipoussis
Safin
Roddick
Hewett
Puerta
Agassi
Baghdatis
Gonzalez
Soderling
Tsonga
Ferrer
Berdych
Raonic
Cilic
Anderson
Thiem
Medvedev

Wow.

• DuffMan likes this

#714 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 11:28 AM

Juesha Rawr@JueshaRawr·1h

People to have beaten a big 4 member in a major final:

Del Potro

Wawrinka (x3)

People who have tried:

Phillipoussis

Safin

Roddick

Hewett

Puerta

Agassi

Baghdatis

Gonzalez

Soderling

Tsonga

Ferrer

Berdych

Raonic

Cilic

Anderson

Thiem

Medvedev

Wow.

Will be rooting for Djokovic but there is a solid chance we'll be adding another name to the list soon. Medvedev is in top form. Then again this is Djokovic's playground. Should be fun.

#715 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 08:39 AM

Will be rooting for Djokovic but there is a solid chance we'll be adding another name to the list soon. Medvedev is in top form. Then again this is Djokovic's playground. Should be fun.

Oops. Djokovic dominated. 18th Major win.

Djokovic wins 9th Aussie title, 18th Grand Slam

#716 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 22 February 2021 - 10:30 AM

9 and 0 in Aussie open finals pretty damn impressive.  If he hadn't got DQd at the US open he most likely has 19 total now.  Barring injury he's probably the favorite at Wimbledon and the US Open but I'm not sure he's beating Nadal on the clay.

#717 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 10 June 2021 - 06:41 AM

Semifinals tomorrow at Roland Garros  with Djoker and Nadal going at it.  

#718 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 10 June 2021 - 09:59 AM

They're the best.  Nadal is obviously better on clay but H2H it's close

https://www.espn.com...set-streak-ends

The semifinal will be the superstar duo's 58th matchup, more than any other two men in the sport's professional era; Djokovic leads 29-28, but Nadal is ahead 10-6 in Slam meetings, 7-1 at the French Open.

#719 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 10:30 AM

Nadal has never lost in the semifinal or final at the French Open.  He's 13-0 in each round.  13!

#720 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 03:43 PM

Dkokovic just won a crazy 1:30hr 3rd set. Leads 2 sets to 1.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=