#421 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:06 PM

Is Jackie Robinson one of the 4 greatest ever because of what he went through?

If not, is he the greatest second baseman ever because of what he faced?

#422 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:12 PM

Is Jackie Robinson one of the 4 greatest ever because of what he went through?

If not, is he the greatest second baseman ever because of what he faced?

Stop asking silly questions... Jackie Robinson's ML career did not suffer because his manager jerked him around and didn't let him play like he would have played a white guy... and nobody said Koufax performed worse because he was upset about anti-semitism....

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#423 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,387 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:13 PM

Does your away ERA number include only the Dodger Stadium years or not... you never answered the question, you just referred me to the place where you also didn't clarify this....

The first post was clear.

His career ERA at Dodger Stadium was 1.37. Away from it: 3.39.

That's not clear to you?

#424 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,387 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:16 PM

No, that's not what that question was about.

You agreed with Shack that if they are considered all time greats that they can't be overrated.

So, are you going to be consistent with that or are you just the troll we figure you are being(both here and the LBJ discussions)?

We all know Nickle has no issue calling all time greats overrated and calling out us for overrating/underrating all time greats. 

He's bashed me plenty of times for that so he's just being disingenuous here.

#425 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:17 PM

Stop asking silly questions... Jackie Robinson's ML career did not suffer because his manager jerked him around and didn't let him play like he would have played a white guy... and nobody said Koufax performed worse because he was upset about anti-semitism....

You are the one who brought up everything that Koufax had to go through and how you think that should be factored into the discussion.

That's silly to me, at least in this context.

So, why is that we can use those excuses for Koufax but not Jackie?

#426 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:17 PM

That's what Rob does best. Ask silly, irrelevant questions.

#427 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:19 PM

We all know Nickle has no issue calling all time greats overrated and calling out us for overrating/underrating all time greats.

Of course he is. I am just asking him to man up and admit it.

Not that I expect him too. He will just ignore and run away from it like he usually does.

#428 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:23 PM

Not at all. Koufax isn't overrated. Legit claim to being the greatest living pitcher. Now, if someone wants to claim that say Bret Favre has a claim as the greatest QB of all time then yeah I'll call you out for overating him. It's all relative.

#429 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,387 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:24 PM

Let's compare Pedro's best years and Koufax's best years in ERA to get away from ERA+.

Pedro: 1.74, 1.90, 2.07

Koufax: 1.73, 1.74, 1.88

Which is more impressive?

Pedro put up these numbers in the steroid era pitching half his games in Fenway while playing in the tough AL East, and facing DH's.

Koufax pitched in an extreme pitcher's era while pitching in a pitchers park which also benefited from an illegally raised mound. He did however throw a lot more innings, at least in two of these three years.

#430 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,387 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:26 PM

Not at all. Koufax isn't overrated. Legit claim to being the greatest living pitcher. Now, if someone wants to claim that say Bret Favre has a claim as the greatest QB of all time then yeah I'll call you out for overating him. It's all relative.

So all-time greats can be overrated or they can't be?

And Favre's ranking among QB's probably isn't that different than Koufax's ranking among pitchers, but of course MLB has been around longer.

#431 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:31 PM

Not at all. Koufax isn't overrated. Legit claim to being the greatest living pitcher. Now, if someone wants to claim that say Bret Favre has a claim as the greatest QB of all time then yeah I'll call you out for overating him

Based off of what?

#432 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:34 PM

So all-time greats can be overrated or they can't be?

And Favre's ranking among QB's probably isn't that different than Koufax's ranking among pitchers, but of course MLB has been around longer.

It's relative. If you're claiming LBJ is the GOAT like in Robs example then yeah you are overrating him. You're not overrating him if you call him one of the all time greats. No one here has claimed Koufax is the greatest living pitcher. Only that he is in the conversation.

#433 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:35 PM

This all started because you essentially threw a fit that he was out on the field Tuesday. You've since said you are fine with him being out there so you've backed off. This should all be over but it's turned into a Weber, Shields, Shack arguing to argue fest.

#434 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:38 PM

It's relative. If you're claiming LBJ is the GOAT like in Robs example then yeah you are overrating him. You're not overrating him if you call him one of the all time greats. No one here has claimed Koufax is the greatest living pitcher. Only that he is in the conversation.

But how do you define "in the conversation"?

How many guys are in the conversation?

#435 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,387 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:39 PM

This all started because you essentially threw a fit that he was out on the field Tuesday. You've since said you are fine with him being out there so you've backed off. This should all be over now.

I didn't throw a fit at all. The fit has been in response to me from Shack who obviously loves Koufax and from you who wanted a big argument over it and helped achieve that through trolling.

#436 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,387 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:40 PM

You've said many times that I've overrate James because I have him over Magic. 

#437 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,387 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:40 PM

Joe Posnankski on the greatest living pitcher, who also happens to be the best pitcher ever in his view: http://joeposnanski....seball-history/

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#438 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:41 PM

Reynolds killed it like always.

Koufax is the best living pitcher.

#439 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:42 PM

See above

#440 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:43 PM

Thanks guys. Absurd list. Koufax is every bit of a poor choice as Bench imo.

This was the first comment.

Don't see how Mike is throwing a fit.  He stated an opinion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=