#21 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 06 March 2015 - 12:19 PM

The thumbprint scanner on the 6 is much better than the 5s, to me anyway.  It gets it right on the first try 99% of the time.  

The 6 is awesome.  I love the size to it.  I didn't think that I would, but its been a great upgrade.

Pedro, I highly recommend T-Mobile.  I pay 75 for unlimited everything, including mobile hotspot.  No contract and its 25 a month for the phone.  You can trade it in whenever you want for an upgrade.

• SammyBirdland likes this

@fuzydunlop

#22 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 06 March 2015 - 12:30 PM

See if these suggestions help:

https://support.appl.../en-us/HT203987

What browser are you using?  Safari, Chrome, Firefox?

I was using Chrome, but Safari seems to have picked it up too. I'll give that a run when I get home.

#23 MKlein76

MKlein76

Sports Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • LocationGlen Burnie, MD

Posted 06 March 2015 - 08:15 PM

Does that have the thumbprint scanner?  My iPhone 5S has it.  I know it's controversial, but it's the best thing ever.
  I upgraded to the 6 a couple months ago. Yeah, the thumbprint scanner rocks.   The downside is the Thunderbolt connector. I had the 4S before, and the two dockable speakers I have took the 32-pin connector. Now they're a couple of doorstops.
I had a 4 before. When I got a 5s, I didn't want to buy new speakers. Apple sells a 30 pin to the new connector cable. I think it was $15. Was a lot cheaper than buying new speakers.
  • BSLMikeLowe likes this
@MKlein76

#24 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:42 PM

http://www.ibtimes.c...est-see-1491288

For the record, I got it first try without cheating. I don't know how proud I am of that.

• SammyBirdland likes this
@DJ_McCann

#25 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:15 PM

http://www.ibtimes.c...est-see-1491288

For the record, I got it first try without cheating. I don't know how proud I am of that.

That was a perfect example of worthless human-science research which gets published but which adds exactly zilch to our knowledge of things that matter.   It does the usual trick:  it doesn't try to understand anything, all it does is try to trick the subjects into being wrong. Furthermore, it's definition of "being wrong" is pretty absurd.

It's been well documented forever that recall memory (being able to come up with the logo) is way worse than recognition memory (knowing it when you see it).   So, this is kinda like an experiment to see gravity is real by dropping an apple on somebody's head.  Now, I suppose they would claim that by comparing correctness with confidence, they've added to our store of knowledge... but exactly what did they add that is applicable to anything other than old Apple logo's?  Pretty much nothing.

The outcomes could have easily been manipulated to achieve different results by playing with (a) the judging criteria on the recall test and (b ) the degree of similarity between the choices on the recognition test.  For the recall test, they show various drawn images, nearly all of which show the main feature of the old logo (an apple with a bite out of it)... yet, by their criteria, nearly all of those were deemed to be incorrect.  

When you read the study, they explain what they did, but they don't in any way justify why they did it.  For example, why should somebody who gets  10 of the 14 features of the logo correct be judged to have not remembered it? Sounds to me like they remembered it pretty damn well... but only those who got 11 or more of the 14 features right were judged to have remembered it.    And those 14 criteria included whether or not they had a vein in the little leaf at the top.  Why, what difference does the vein the leaf make?

This is the kind of crap that gives Psych research a bad name among other scientists.  IMO, the people who did it are just pretend scientists, and all they did was find stupid ways to deploy the "scientific method" to prove that subjects can be wrong, regardless of whether it matters or not.  They didn't do any real science, all they did was misuse the scientific method to boost their own publication list.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#26 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 10 March 2015 - 06:07 PM

Well I had the "bite" on the apple backwards. So there's that.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#27 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 06:20 PM

That was a perfect example of worthless human-science research which gets published but which adds exactly zilch to our knowledge of things that matter.   It does the usual trick:  it doesn't try to understand anything, all it does is try to trick the subjects into being wrong. Furthermore, it's definition of "being wrong" is pretty absurd.

It's been well documented forever that recall memory (being able to come up with the logo) is way worse than recognition memory (knowing it when you see it).   So, this is kinda like an experiment to see gravity is real by dropping an apple on somebody's head.  Now, I suppose they would claim that by comparing correctness with confidence, they've added to our store of knowledge... but exactly what did they add that is applicable to anything other than old Apple logo's?  Pretty much nothing.

The outcomes could have easily been manipulated to achieve different results by playing with (a) the judging criteria on the recall test and (b ) the degree of similarity between the choices on the recognition test.  For the recall test, they show various drawn images, nearly all of which show the main feature of the old logo (an apple with a bite out of it)... yet, by their criteria, nearly all of those were deemed to be incorrect.  

When you read the study, they explain what they did, but they don't in any way justify why they did it.  For example, why should somebody who gets  10 of the 14 features of the logo correct be judged to have not remembered it? Sounds to me like they remembered it pretty damn well... but only those who got 11 or more of the 14 features right were judged to have remembered it.    And those 14 criteria included whether or not they had a vein in the little leaf at the top.  Why, what difference does the vein the leaf make?

This is the kind of crap that gives Psych research a bad name among other scientists.  IMO, the people who did it are just pretend scientists, and all they did was find stupid ways to deploy the "scientific method" to prove that subjects can be wrong, regardless of whether it matters or not.  They didn't do any real science, all they did was misuse the scientific method to boost their own publication list.

Plus, their population was (predictably enough) current undergrads... the findings, bogus as they are, are relevant to only that kind of population.  

Plus, there's nothing in there that in any way supports the authors conclusions about saturation.  The entire thing is a research scam.

Everything is wrong with this so-called research, nothing about it is respectable.The fact that a journal would publish this trash says nothing good about that journal.  

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#28 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:54 PM

New York advertising agency "6S" begs Apple to call their next release "iPhone 7" instead of "iPhone 6S".

http://www.cultofmac...campaign=buffer
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#29 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 04 September 2015 - 11:19 PM

Anyone else heard about project fi? I would sign up but it requires the nexus 6.

@fuzydunlop

#30 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 07:24 AM

Anyone else heard about project fi? I would sign up but it requires the nexus 6.

It only makes sense... but it's gonna take a couple generations of phones for it to catch on, because the phone needs to have a doohickey... I don't think it's just firmware, I think it's a special chip feature...

Once everybody gets used to it, it will become the new normal... kids are gonna grow up and think of now as the dark ages... to them, the idea of ISP-specific phones and SIM's is gonna seem as idiotic as it would seem to us if we had to get a different TV for each channel... (or something like that...)

#31 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:31 PM

So as a complete non tech guy. What's the biggest difference between an IPhone or IOS and Android phones. I know certain people swear by both.

#32 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:58 PM

So as a complete non tech guy. What's the biggest difference between an IPhone or IOS and Android phones. I know certain people swear by both.

Apple is a closed system... you can only use it for what they want you to use it for, using only the apps they bless...

Android is open... on most Android devices you can do pretty much whatever you want, using whatever apps you want...

Apple sells more phones than anybody else... but it's a one-shop product... Android sells a lot more in total, just from a ton of different manufacturers...

Apple fans say IOS is better... Android fans say no, it's not...

#33 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 05:11 PM

So basically customization and freedom for Android but Apple has some functions and features that people fall in love with. It feels like if I go Apple I'm likely gonna be locked into staying with them.

Didn't Apple have a big presentation today. Anything newsworthy come out of it?

#34 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 05:27 PM

So basically customization and freedom for Android but Apple has some functions and features that people fall in love with. It feels like if I go Apple I'm likely gonna be locked into staying with them.

Didn't Apple have a big presentation today. Anything newsworthy come out of it?

Not sure what features Apple might have that Android doesn't.... that used to be true, simply because Apple got there first... but over time, the diff in capability has vanished AFAIK... somebody who is more into Apple might know different, but I don't know about it...

I have no news about what Apple might have presented...

#35 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 09 September 2015 - 05:36 PM

I've never used an  Android and have had an iPhone for several years and do not have many issues with it at all.

I will say, I feel like I don't get nearly as much out of my phone as I should/could.  I basically use it for texting/facebook/email/navigation and pwning people in Clash of Clans lol.

There is a ton of stuff this phone can do that I am not aware of I'm sure.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#36 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 05:46 PM

One thing in Android's favor is the relatively recent appearance of high-end phones with midrange prices... e.g., OnePlus...the OnePlus One caused quite a stir... now they're just now starting to sell the OnePlus Two... 

If I was buying something today, I'd get either that or a Moto X Pure... various flavors of Moto X, but the Pure works with any carrier, so you're not locked into any of them... Moto has sales from time to time if you're patient...  (in comparison, you pay thru the nose for an Apple phone...)

If I didn't need one real soon, I'd wait a bit and see how Google's new idea  Fi develops... it requires hardware, not just firmware, to work... right now it's only Nexus, but others will follow... I'm guessing Motorola before too long...  https://fi.google.com/about/

#37 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 September 2015 - 05:52 PM

Always preferred android... but at this point it's really about preference. Unless you're an early adapter and want to help android developers beta test, there's no real advantage to the open nature of Android over apple. Though I obviously understand that being a deal breaker for techy types, just on principal.

On my Samsung Note Edge, I regularly stream videos from my external hard drive in my living room to my xbox one, and usually an MLB game using the other TV and chromecast. Some nights when I'm not into anything I'm watching I'll connect to my surround sound via Bluetooth and steam tunes. So yeah, Pedro... you can do just about anything on a phone these days. It's pretty amazing. But stuff like that may be easier with Android vs. Apple... but I don't know that to be fact.

#38 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 06:06 PM

Always preferred android... but at this point it's really about preference. Unless you're an early adapter and want to help android developers beta test, there's no real advantage to the open nature of Android over apple. Though I obviously understand that being a deal breaker for techy types, just on principal.

It's not just that.. it's other stuff beyond just that...

* Apple kills apps they don't like...

* They also kill apps they used to bless when they come out with one of their own that supposedly does the same thing... they don't give you a choice, you are forced to do it their way... http://www.businessi...th-ios-8-2014-6

* Plus, there are (or at least have been, I don't keep up with Apple closely) pretty basic app capabilities that have long been missing... if Apple doesn't bless an app to do something, you're out of luck...

Android does not control which app you use to do a task, nor to they block you from having a given capability...

#39 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 September 2015 - 06:11 PM

The thing is, there was never an instance where I couldn't find a comparable app on my iPad that I used on Android. I just think it's largely overblown... but maybe I am not as much with the times as I thought.

#40 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 06:18 PM

The thing is, there was never an instance where I couldn't find a comparable app on my iPad that I used on Android. I just think it's largely overblown... but maybe I am not as much with the times as I thought.

Oh, I don't mean to say it affects everybody... just that it's not just about tech-y bleeding edge stuff, that's all I meant... if you want something and it's not there, you're screwed... and if you get used to using an app and you like it, well, what if they take it away from you and make you use theirs?   It's certainly not the end of the world, but still... 

I do agree with your core point that it's a matter of personal preference.... FWIW, my preference is not to pay extra to have them tell me what I can do and how I have to do it... but I also see nothing wrong with other people having a preference for Apple stuff either... if people are happy with it, that's what matters...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=