#61 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,359 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 30 August 2017 - 12:33 PM

My #1 iPhone gripe...

When the phone keeps clinging to a very weak WiFi signal instead of shifting over to cellular data. There have been many times when I get in my car that I have to shut off the WiFi in order to load a trip on Waze.

#62 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 04:46 PM

Apple stock has performed so well that CEO Tim Cook got an $89 million bonus

http://mashable.com/...s/#shjs9ucHK5qk

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#63 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 02:12 PM

Is Apple Slowing Down Old iPhones? Questions and Answers

How many users does this affect?

Apple has said the power management technique works on iPhone 6, 6S, SE and 7.

https://www.nytimes....oblem-slow.html

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#64 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,539 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 02:19 PM

It's been obvious for years that the phones slow down. Not buying it's from batteries too. I have a 2003 computer that is super slow. It happens when devices get older. Just admit it, Apple.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#65 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 03:49 PM

It's been obvious for years that the phones slow down. Not buying it's from batteries too. I have a 2003 computer that is super slow. It happens when devices get older. Just admit it, Apple.

Old PC's being slow is different... it's the combo of lesser CPU's plus all the goddam Windows updates.... you can often get a notable speed-up by backing up your files then nuking the whole thing... do a fresh install of current Windows, less crap for the PC to cope with... the main downside is that reinstalling everything else is a PITA...

As for speeding up iphones, here's one article about it... I don't know beans about iphones, so I have no news about whether this article is worth a damn... https://www.cnet.com...072492606172428

BTW, if Apple loved you, they'd make it easier to install a new battery....

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#66 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 04:15 PM

BTW, if Apple loved you, they'd make it easier to install a new battery....

Yep! Double yep!!

#67 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,539 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 04:23 PM

That would keep people from getting new phones every September.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#68 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 08:15 AM

Who knew...  :wink:  and hold on there Timmy...

Apple faces lawsuits after saying it slows down aging iPhones

All the lawsuits - filed in U.S. District Courts in California, New York and Illinois - seek class-action to represent potentially millions of iPhone owners nationwide.

https://www.reuters....s-idUSKBN1EL034

Apple CEO Cook Gets 74% Bonus Boost After Sales, Profit Rebound

Cook’s incentive pay totaled $9.33 million for the year ended Sept. 30, the Cupertino, California-based company said Wednesday in a regulatory filing. He also took home $3.06 million in salary and a previously disclosed equity award of $89.2 million, bringing his total payout for the year to about $102 million.

https://www.msn.com/...ound/ar-BBHqvZ8

#69 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,539 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 09:00 AM

Good. They deserve to be taken to court for that BS.

#70 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 12:57 PM

$29 iPhone battery replacement...

https://www.macworld...pcw_bestof_html

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#71 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:01 PM

Apple admits its new $350 speaker can leave permanent white rings on wooden surfaces and furniture

Early reviewers of Apple's new HomePod smart speaker have noticed an issue with the $350 device: It can leave white rings on some wooden surfaces.

Reviewers at Wirecutter and Pocket-lint noticed that the HomePod left behind a semipermanent white ring on some wooden tables and countertops. Both said that the HomePod didn't leave rings on every type of wooden surface but that it seemed to affect countertops or tables treated with oil.

Apple confirmed to both publications that the device could damage some surfaces but said the marks should fade over time.

DWAvecSWkAA2ONy.jpg

http://www.businessi...e-admits-2018-2

#72 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:40 PM

I am a complete and total apple devotee.  They make mistakes and drive me crazy a lot, but its a million times better than PC.  We just upgraded to Win 10 at work today and I wanted to put my fist through the monitor every 30 seconds.  

@fuzydunlop

#73 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 05:58 PM

A few days ago my android phone I had for over 3 years crapped the bed. So I got my first iPhone. The 8 plus. I have a Macbook too so I was drawn in by the sync-ability. 

Any tips, tricks, hacks you iPhone guys know of? It's going to be a learning curve after having android for 8 years or so. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#74 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 18 July 2018 - 06:02 PM

Sure.  I use my widgets (swipe left) for checking my bank accounts/credit cards.

The swipe up is your friend.  

Otherwise, its the same stuff as Android.  Both buttons at the same time will produce a screen shot.  When you are taking a selfie you can hit the volume down to take a pic.  

I turn off the background refresh option and I remove the automatic downloads for Podcasts.  Little stuff like that.  But most of the stuff you'll learn will be by accident.

• Mike in STL likes this

@fuzydunlop

#75 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 06:12 PM

Sure.  I use my widgets (swipe left) for checking my bank accounts/credit cards.

The swipe up is your friend.  

Otherwise, its the same stuff as Android.  Both buttons at the same time will produce a screen shot.  When you are taking a selfie you can hit the volume down to take a pic.  

I turn off the background refresh option and I remove the automatic downloads for Podcasts.  Little stuff like that.  But most of the stuff you'll learn will be by accident.

Thanks. Yeah I like the widgets on the left. Already got some stuff loaded over there. The swipe up is basically the swipe down on my android so that seems easy. I keep swiping right for some reason and it goes to the camera and figuring out how to "go back" is a little different on each site, widget, app, whatever. I'll get used to it. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#76 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,359 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 08:22 PM

Has anyone bought one of the new M1 Macs yet? Specifically, I'm wondering about the M1 Mac Mini. It's time to put my 2014 MacBook Pro out to pasture, but any potential replacement needs to be able to handle all of Adobe's Creative Suite apps (and I know most of them are not yet optimized for the M1) and was curious if anyone has any experience with it yet.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#77 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 08:36 PM

Has anyone bought one of the new M1 Macs yet? Specifically, I'm wondering about the M1 Mac Mini. It's time to put my 2014 MacBook Pro out to pasture, but any potential replacement needs to be able to handle all of Adobe's Creative Suite apps (and I know most of them are not yet optimized for the M1) and was curious if anyone has any experience with it yet.

I was just looking at these today.  $100 cheaper at MicroCenter if you have one nearby.

• BSLMikeLowe likes this

#78 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,359 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 09:17 PM

I was just looking at these today.  $100 cheaper at MicroCenter if you have one nearby.

It looks like the closest one to me is in Orange County, CA, which isn't close. I would almost definitely get the one with 16Gb RAM, and they only show the 8Gb ones available. But if you end up getting one any feedback you can share is much welcomed.

#79 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 08:46 AM

My #1 iPhone gripe...

When the phone keeps clinging to a very weak WiFi signal instead of shifting over to cellular data. There have been many times when I get in my car that I have to shut off the WiFi in order to load a trip on Waze.

I know I am late to this thread.

I see this same issue on Androids, out and about, and the phone will grap a weak wifi and become useless, unless you pop wifi off.

Turning wifi off, on the android is simple compared to the apple.

I think my whole extended family is mixed android and apple. 

They are both similar in so many way. My one notice over the years, some 3rd party apps perform better on android, and I believe that is due to the way Apple relates to the 3rd party app designers.

#80 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 06:39 PM

I know I am late to this thread.

I see this same issue on Androids, out and about, and the phone will grap a weak wifi and become useless, unless you pop wifi off.

Turning wifi off, on the android is simple compared to the apple.

I think my whole extended family is mixed android and apple. 

They are both similar in so many way. My one notice over the years, some 3rd party apps perform better on android, and I believe that is due to the way Apple relates to the 3rd party app designers.

To turn wifi off on the iPhone, you pull inwards from the top right corner to open the control center and push the wifi symbol.  Not sure how you get easier than that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=