86 replies to this topic

#41 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 03:29 PM

SAN FRANCISCO — Hackers have found their way into Apple’s App Store.

Apple confirmed on Sunday that a tool used by software developers for the company’s devices was copied and modified by hackers to put bad code into apps available on the App Store.

So far about 40 apps with malicious code, or malware, have made it into the App Store, said researchers at Palo Alto Networks, an online security company that is investigating the incident. In a blog post, the security company said the breach could potentially affect hundreds of millions of users.

The list includes some of the most popular apps in China, like the ride-hailing app Didi Kuaidi. Many of the apps are popular elsewhere as well, like the messaging app WeChat, which has about 500 million users, and the business card scanner CamCard. The Chinese online security company Qihoo said it has found more than 300 infected apps.

http://www.nytimes.c...ducts.html?_r=1

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#42 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 02:27 PM

All right Apple guys. 

I just got my first MacBook. MacBook Pro. 13.3" retina display, 8GB Memory, 128GB storage. 

I have an issue. I installed Office 365. Works fine. But I transferred my documents from my PC to the Mac, and now they wont open. I had the same Office 365 on my PC. Exactly the same. Its good for installs on up to five computers. 

I get this when I try to open it: "The file format or file extension is not valid. Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file" 

I'm not the most tech savvy person, so I hope there is an easy fix. Please help. Thanks.

@BSLMikeRandall

#43 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 07:40 PM

All right Apple guys. 

I just got my first MacBook. MacBook Pro. 13.3" retina display, 8GB Memory, 128GB storage. 

I have an issue. I installed Office 365. Works fine. But I transferred my documents from my PC to the Mac, and now they wont open. I had the same Office 365 on my PC. Exactly the same. Its good for installs on up to five computers. 

I get this when I try to open it: "The file format or file extension is not valid. Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file" 

I'm not the most tech savvy person, so I hope there is an easy fix. Please help. Thanks.

I'm not an apple guy, but I think it's supposed to work unless you've got macros involved... is it safe to say you haven't done anything with macro's?

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#44 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 08:34 PM

I'm not an apple guy, but I think it's supposed to work unless you've got macros involved... is it safe to say you haven't done anything with macro's?

Yeah....I don't know what this means. So probably not. 

I was doing a little more work, and it appears the ones that won't open are ones that I created on an older version of Office, before I installed 365. They opened fine on my PC. Maybe I have to change the format?

@BSLMikeRandall

#45 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 08:57 PM

Yeah....I don't know what this means. So probably not. 

I was doing a little more work, and it appears the ones that won't open are ones that I created on an older version of Office, before I installed 365. They opened fine on my PC. Maybe I have to change the format?

Use your PC to open them and then save them in the newest format you can, then transfer those versions of the files to the Mac...

Then, after they're transfered, open each one and re-save it on the Mac to make sure it's saved in the best way... because "compatible" doesn't mean "identical"... doing that will probably save some space and cut down on the work required to re-open them later on the Mac.. although if you've got a zillion of them, that's probably more of a PITA than it's worth...

Also, if you do have a ton of them, then opening and saving each one on your PC in a different format would also be a huge PITA... if so, nose around online and download a free file converter than can do a ton of them at once (in what is called a batch job)...

• Mike in STL likes this

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#46 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 14 April 2016 - 07:03 PM

Motor Trend tries to guess what an Apple car would look like. For Apple's sake, I hope they're way off.

http://www.motortren...-car-exclusive/

Apple-Car-front-three-quarter-rendering.

#47 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 14 April 2016 - 08:15 PM

Motor Trend tries to guess what an Apple car would look like. For Apple's sake, I hope they're way off.

http://www.motortren...-car-exclusive/

Apple-Car-front-three-quarter-rendering.

That just tells me that they have no clue...well, frankly, about ANYTHING relating to Apple.

• RShack likes this
@DJ_McCann

#48 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 02:26 PM

Apple revenue falls for first time since 2003 - Apple reported a 13% drop in its second quarter revenue on Tuesday as sales of iPhones slipped.

http://www.bbc.com/n...source=facebook

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#49 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 06:25 PM

Apple revenue falls for first time since 2003 - Apple reported a 13% drop in its second quarter revenue on Tuesday as sales of iPhones slipped.

http://www.bbc.com/n...source=facebook

Steve Jobs left them with half-a-decade of own-the-territory products.  That half-decade is now up.

#50 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 11 May 2016 - 12:19 AM

Something I've been meaning to post for a while, but I got sick of paying 60 bucks or whatever for an apple computer charger every time it would break.  I found a cheap way around it.

Buy a regular laptop charger (something like this) http://www.amazon.co...arch_detailpage

Then buy an adapter cord - http://www.amazon.co...arch_detailpage

The problem with doing this, and I believe its intentional, is that the connection is male to male.  However, this little guy does the trick.  http://www.amazon.co...arch_detailpage

The best part of this is when the charger portion goes up, and it will eventually, you just buy a new one for 8 bucks and use the other parts you have already.  Another benefit is that I bought the older connection (mag 1) adapter and can use it for my older laptop if I need it.  Total cost is like 20 bucks.  I've been using it for a year now and its been gold.

• SammyBirdland likes this

@fuzydunlop

#51 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 09:55 AM

Something I've been meaning to post for a while, but I got sick of paying 60 bucks or whatever for an apple computer charger every time it would break.  I found a cheap way around it.

Buy a regular laptop charger (something like this) http://www.amazon.co...arch_detailpage

Then buy an adapter cord - http://www.amazon.co...arch_detailpage

The problem with doing this, and I believe its intentional, is that the connection is male to male.  However, this little guy does the trick.  http://www.amazon.co...arch_detailpage

The best part of this is when the charger portion goes up, and it will eventually, you just buy a new one for 8 bucks and use the other parts you have already.  Another benefit is that I bought the older connection (mag 1) adapter and can use it for my older laptop if I need it.  Total cost is like 20 bucks.  I've been using it for a year now and its been gold.

My daughter's charger just stopped working, so I'm using this tip today.  Thanks!

I have to get the older style adapter cord:

https://www.amazon.c...sd_hps_bw_c_x_3

• McNulty likes this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#52 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 11:10 AM

My daughter's charger just stopped working, so I'm using this tip today.  Thanks!

I know this sounds nuts, but I'm serious... put it in the freezer for a half-hour, then see...

• SammyBirdland likes this

#53 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 11:32 AM

I know this sounds nuts, but I'm serious... put it in the freezer for a half-hour, then see...

I'll tell her to give it a shot.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#54 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 14 June 2016 - 12:56 PM

Every office I've worked in, because batteries are always essential for our job, has had batteries in the freezer.  Some of them are probably from the 80s though.

@fuzydunlop

#55 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:40 PM

14ipad.jpg?bd3790

• Mike in STL likes this

#56 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 03:49 PM

Uhhhh, yeah, a BIG no thanks!

Speculation is mounting that Apple's next iPhone could cost $1,200 or more

There are a lot of rumors and reports that point to Apple launching a redesigned iPhone this fall with a screen that takes up nearly the entire front of the phone.

But if you want one this fall, you might want to start saving up now.

Over the weekend, Apple fans and users started to seriously discuss the possibility that the next iPhone could cost a lot — some people have even speculated that some more-expensive models could hit $1,500.

The current iPhone 7 starts at $649 for the entry-level model.

http://www.businessi...n-gruber-2017-7

#57 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 10 July 2017 - 04:39 PM

If the screen is shatterproof and the battery life improves, I might consider it.  Otherwise I'll stick with my 6s

@fuzydunlop

#58 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 30 August 2017 - 11:33 AM

Bloomberg: How Apple Plans to Change the Way You Use Your Next iPhone

Apple Inc. plans to transform the way people use its next high-end iPhone by eliminating the concept of a home button and making other adjustments to a flagship device that’s becoming almost all screen, according to images of the new device viewed by Bloomberg News and people familiar with the gadget.

#59 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 August 2017 - 11:46 AM

So basically the Samsung S8.

#60 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 30 August 2017 - 12:29 PM

Unbreakable screen and better battery life.  That's all anyone wants. 

@fuzydunlop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=