474 replies to this topic

#141 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 08:43 PM

Any guesses how far out we are from Walter starting to cook? 2 years?

#142 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:00 PM

I feel like it's gotta be longer than that. But Breaking Bad's first 4 seasons was over like 11 months or something crazy like that, so obviously they are comfortable moving the plot along quickly even if that feels a bit rushed when you stop and think about it.

#143 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:02 PM

Saul was an established attorney when Walter White went to him. So I'm guessing this is taking place in 2003ish.

@DJ_McCann

#144 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:04 PM

I feel like it's gotta be longer than that. But Breaking Bad's first 4 seasons was over like 11 months or something crazy like that, so obviously they are comfortable moving the plot along quickly even if that feels a bit rushed when you stop and think about it.

Up until the last episode of season four, they had covered something like seven or eight months. Then they had the "Crystal Blue Persuasion" montage of about three months, and it was still three episodes into season five when they celebrated Walt's 51st birthday.

@DJ_McCann

#145 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:07 PM

Saul was an established attorney when Walter White went to him. So I'm guessing this is taking place in 2003ish.

Breaking Bad starts in '08? Looked like they may have been teasing Mike meeting a familiar face in the teaser for next week.

#146 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:20 PM

Breaking Bad starts in '08? Looked like they may have been teasing Mike meeting a familiar face in the teaser for next week.

Actually, if you go by this, the date that the series begins in-show is September 7, 2009 (Walt's 50th birthday). So the entire run of the series takes place somewhere between mid-2009 and winter of 2011 (it's his 52nd birthday near/at the series finale).

So Saul and Mike both need time to establish themselves with Gus and elsewhere in the criminal world. I just saw a passing reference to Better Call Saul starting in 2002, so that gives seven years or so to get those two where they need to be in late 2009 when they each meet Walter.

@DJ_McCann

#147 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:21 PM

A little research brought me to an article where Gilligan says BCS starts in '02. So yeah, 6-7 years out.

#148 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 08:57 AM

No need to rush into Breaking Bad. It's the ultimate hook to keep the audience wondering. Guessing. Wanting more.

I wonder if they keep a pulse on the ratings or the audience, to see if there is a need to get to BB sooner. Like when he buys the new car, there is a minute or so where you wonder if it's the gaudy white Cadillac. But then it isn't. As if, if the pulse was to get to BB sooner, they would have re-shot it with the Caddy in.

Side note, noticed Chuck wearing a watch while he was curled up on the couch. Was that a mistake, or just a sign of his being full of crap about his condition? They showed Kim having left her watch in the bucket during the meeting with he and Howard. Even Saul almost didn't bother leaving his in the mailbox this time. I mean, we kind of know its BS from his time in the hospital. But odd that he would wear a watch himself.
@BSLMikeRandall

#149 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 09:16 AM

Side note, noticed Chuck wearing a watch while he was curled up on the couch. Was that a mistake, or just a sign of his being full of crap about his condition? They showed Kim having left her watch in the bucket during the meeting with he and Howard. Even Saul almost didn't bother leaving his in the mailbox this time. I mean, we kind of know its BS from his time in the hospital. But odd that he would wear a watch himself.

I don't know watches well enough to tell by looking, but I imagine it's a wind-up watch.  No electricity.

#150 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 09:08 PM

No need to rush into Breaking Bad. It's the ultimate hook to keep the audience wondering. Guessing. Wanting more.

I wonder if they keep a pulse on the ratings or the audience, to see if there is a need to get to BB sooner. Like when he buys the new car, there is a minute or so where you wonder if it's the gaudy white Cadillac. But then it isn't. As if, if the pulse was to get to BB sooner, they would have re-shot it with the Caddy in.

As Mackus said, it's probably an old-style watch.

Gilligan has said that they started last season on one path but by the end they realized the stories had enough depth on their own that they didn't have to push a straight path, and when they went to start season two they had adjusted their plans. I wouldn't be surprised if audience/critical reaction had at least a little to do with it, too.

@DJ_McCann

#151 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 15 March 2016 - 09:01 AM

When the diner bell dinged last night, I got chills.  Hector, my man!!!!

#152 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 16 March 2016 - 09:37 PM

When the diner bell dinged last night, I got chills. Hector, my man!!!!

I heard that familiar noise and got excited. Started scouring the diner for him.

Nice to have Kim sort of have her own episode. I'd kill for her.

Also like the shifting perceptions of Howard and Chuck.

#153 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 09:57 PM

I want Gilligan to write and film a montage about me sometime. If he can make highlighting legal documents and disappointing phone calls interesting, I'm sure he could salvage something watchable out of my boring life.
  • BobPhelan, DJ MC and tennOsfan like this

#154 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,697 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 16 March 2016 - 10:22 PM

Why is an engineer highlighting legal docs? Isn't that what you pay lawyers for?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#155 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 16 March 2016 - 10:32 PM

Why is an engineer highlighting legal docs? Isn't that what you pay lawyers for?

Who's the engineer?

#156 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 09:13 PM

Who's the engineer?

Hopefully Rhea Seehorn.

And it took me a second to fully recognize him, but from the moment the bell rang (nice touch, by the way), I knew it was Tio.

And now we see the start of the connection to Gus.

@DJ_McCann

#157 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,463 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 02:23 PM

Call Saul Now: Better Call Saul season two episode five recap: “Rebecca”

#158 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 08:35 PM

So Chuck resents Jimmy for being their father's favorite.

@DJ_McCann

#159 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 08:52 PM

Carbon paper. Mike is so smart and so good.

I hope nothing terrible happens to Kim. Hopefully she just promotes, leaves town for a better opportunity, something like that. Like her a lot.
@BSLMikeRandall

#160 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 08:56 PM

Carbon paper. Mike is so smart and so good.

I hope nothing terrible happens to Kim. Hopefully she just promotes, leaves town for a better opportunity, something like that. Like her a lot.

Oh, something bad happens to Kim. It's what pushes Jimmy over the edge.  Seen speculation that it's suicide, and it makes some sense seeing her character. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=