#61 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 09 March 2015 - 10:12 PM

Really good episode. The whole episode illuminated Mike's life and character more than anything before. Makes me think back on his relationship with Jesse in a new way.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#62 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,757 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 08:43 AM

Best episode yet.  Show just keeps getting better and better.  I think it's already in the category of The Americans and Game of Thrones of being the only shows I really am dying to see every week.

I'd be curious to know what anyone who hasn't watched Breaking Bad thinks of it, though I bet that subset of people are difficult to come across.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#63 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 08:54 AM

Great episode. That was the thing with Breaking Bad. They add these great secondary characters like Saul, Mike, and Gus where you want to see more of them. Im sure more Gus backstory is in the works down the line.  The interesting thing about last night is it obviously had nothing to do with Saul. He made a cameo.  It was all Mike.  Obviously, we will be seeing a lot of Mike going forward, but is this going to remain Saulcentric or do we see more and more episodes like this where its basically all Mike. 

#64 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 March 2015 - 08:55 AM

Really good episode. The whole episode illuminated Mike's life and character more than anything before. Makes me think back on his relationship with Jesse in a new way.

Yea, last night was really an introduction into Mike.

You also saw an emotional side to him that we haven't seen.

Good point about Jesse too.  Probably felt like he owed him something after what happened to his son.

#65 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,757 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:26 AM

It's really impressive how well Gilligan & co can make even the minorest or minor characters seem interesting.  There are shows I still watch that don't have main characters as interesting as that shady vet that Mike visited, for example.  That guy was in just one scene, and I want to watch him more than any of the characters from Shameless.

#66 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 10 March 2015 - 08:54 PM

Ahh, I don't think they had this backstory created when they were doing the Mike-Jesse interactions.  I read a recent NPR article with one of the Breaking Bad/Saul creators, and he made it sounds like Mike's introduction to BB was sorta dumb luck. His first scene was as the cleaner for when Jesse's GF died.  They had planned to use Saul in that job, but Odenkirk was unavailable at the time and they got the guy who wound up playing Mike.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#67 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,757 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:34 AM

Ahh, I don't think they had this backstory created when they were doing the Mike-Jesse interactions.  I read a recent NPR article with one of the Breaking Bad/Saul creators, and he made it sounds like Mike's introduction to BB was sorta dumb luck. His first scene was as the cleaner for when Jesse's GF died.  They had planned to use Saul in that job, but Odenkirk was unavailable at the time and they got the guy who wound up playing Mike.

Gilligan's been very honest, and very anti-Lost, in fully admitting that while some of the storyline was planned from the beginning, they basically would write themselves into corners and then have to work really hard to write their way out of them, or would alter the storylines as they found characters they liked and wanted to explore them more.  However they got to it, the final product was consistently fantastic.

• tennOsfan likes this

#68 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:45 AM

LOST really pisses me off. The further I get away from that, the more Im like meh. And not just because the last season was trash. We are 5 years out from LOST, and it's already not holding up that well. 

#69 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,757 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:52 AM

Network dramas are really difficult to pull off.  24 hour-long episodes a season, not easy to keep things interesting over that many episodes for several seasons.  I think Lost may go down as the last really good one, but totally agree that the final season stunk.  At least, the flashes sideways or whatever were awful, the action on the island was mostly good.

#70 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:58 AM

Yeah, I had heard that about Mike before. Pretty serendipitous. I'm not really suggesting that Gilligan had this grand plan all along that this was the Mike backstory, but there were hints towards what was in his past. I just read somewhere online that Jonathan Banks himself said a few years back that he thought there was something dark with Mike's son. In any case, its just a perfect fit for what we've seen.

#71 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:59 AM

The thing is I go back and watch clips or if I can find them episodes of BB, The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood.  I havent really had the desire to go back and watch any LOST again. Not even with as much meat as they threw out there early in the series. Kind of like 24. I enjoy it but I dont look to go back to watch any of it again.  Being network shows vs cable shows probably has something to do with that. 

#72 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:31 PM

The thing is I go back and watch clips or if I can find them episodes of BB, The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood.  I havent really had the desire to go back and watch any LOST again. Not even with as much meat as they threw out there early in the series. Kind of like 24. I enjoy it but I dont look to go back to watch any of it again.  Being network shows vs cable shows probably has something to do with that. 

The amount of time you have to invest is a part, definitely. The Sopranos is 86 episodes, Breaking Bad is 62, The Wire is 60. Lost is 121 episodes, The West Wing is 156, 24 is 204 episodes plus a TV movie, NYPD Blue is 261 (even taking out commercials, that's over eight days of episodes). That's a LOT of effort, even binging, to rewatch a TV series.

@DJ_McCann

#73 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:31 PM

"You know what happened.  Question is, can you live with it?"

Man, I'm in love with this show.

That was an absolutely incredible speech.

• Mike in STL likes this
@DJ_McCann

#74 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 12:55 PM

http://www.hitfix.co...nce/single-page

Alan Sepinwall talks to creators Gilligan and Gould about the title sequence, and more.

It's very hard to make modern high-definition video look that crappy. you have to hammer way in on it.

@DJ_McCann

#75 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:06 PM

BREAKING: Mike Ehrmantrout is a badass.

@DJ_McCann

#76 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 11:03 PM

Also, the scene where Jimmy goes to the couple about the money, reveals he knows where it is, and as the husband starts the "Wait, how did you..." the wife jumps up and books it for the hiding spot, was absolutely hilarious. I'm going to miss these two, and their unabated denial over stealing that money and what it meant.

• tennOsfan likes this
@DJ_McCann

#77 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 11:35 PM

Odenkirk definitely gets nominated for an Emmy right?

#78 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:51 AM

Yahoo: 'Better Call Saul' Writer Talks Jimmy's Legal Skills, That Dumpster Scene, and What Caused Chuck's Illness

https://www.yahoo.co...4490318520.html

#79 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 12:45 PM

That last scene was great. How is Chuck going to deal with that?

@DJ_McCann

#80 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:14 PM

I'm a few episodes behind. Just finished the Mike episode. Wow. That was one of the better TV episodes I've seen in a while.
  • BobPhelan likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=