The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 03 November 2018 - 07:49 PM

Well, that was awesome.

All the band members were there including Cappadonna and Young Dirty Bastard, ODB's firstborn son.

Redman opened for them, but he was more of a hype man for the main event. I would have liked to have seen more of a Redman performance.

The Wu played the entire Enter the Wu-Tang album, in order, adding some supplemental stuff here and there. Once they were finished with the album, they played some random hits from solo guys and subsequent albums. The crowd was totally into it, the guys seemed excited to be on stage together again...it was a fun time. So glad I got to see it.

I am so fucking jealous.

#102 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 11:52 AM

Damn. I was meaning to post this last Friday, which is the 25th Anniversary of 11/9/93. which is the closest thing rap has ever had to a national holiday that didn't involve the death of a rapper.

Anyway, 11/9/93 saw the releases of Enter the Wu-Tang by Wu Tang Clan and Midnight Marauders by A Tribe Called Quest, two of the best rap albums of all time.

There's plenty of articles about the anniversary and I was toying around with writing an article for BSL but it was hard to put the whole thing into words.

https://www.billboar...ers-anniversary

https://www.billboar...e-children-film

And those wacky Atlanta reporters found a way to work it into their morning traffic segment.

https://hiphopdx.com...th-anniversary#

• The Epic likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#103 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 12:14 PM

Oh snap.

Doggystyle turns 25 next Friday.

Forgot about that in all the 11/9/93 stuff.

I'm old as F.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#104 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,433 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 16 November 2018 - 01:31 PM

Oh snap.

Doggystyle turns 25 next Friday.

Forgot about that in all the 11/9/93 stuff.

I'm old as F.

Guess you also forgot that yesterday would have been ODB's 50th birthday. And Tuesday was the 14th anniversary of his death.  (or maybe you did remember....didn't click the links)   ;)

#105 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 16 November 2018 - 02:44 PM

Guess you also forgot that yesterday would have been ODB's 50th birthday. And Tuesday was the 14th anniversary of his death.  (or maybe you did remember....didn't click the links)   ;)

It's crazy how great ODB seemed at the time, and how trash his stuff seems now. Or maybe I'm alone in this. 

Dog Shit, seriously one of the most fun songs of the 90s, is so, so bad that I question anything I ever liked in the 90s. 

#106 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 03:15 PM

It's crazy how great ODB seemed at the time, and how trash his stuff seems now. Or maybe I'm alone in this. 

Dog Shit, seriously one of the most fun songs of the 90s, is so, so bad that I question anything I ever liked in the 90s. 

He was better in small doses, but his albums were really good.

#107 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 16 November 2018 - 03:29 PM

He was better in small doses, but his albums were really good.

I may need to listen all of the way through one day. As with pretty much everyone my age, "N*gga Please" was in constant rotation back in the day.

#108 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 04:07 PM

I may need to listen all of the way through one day. As with pretty much everyone my age, "N*gga Please" was in constant rotation back in the day.

I recently listened to that for the first time and was surprised at how good it was. I wasn't into the more mainstream stuff he put out after his first album but the deeper cuts were classic Wu solo material and good.

#109 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 07:18 PM

Turns 25 tomorrow.

https://youtu.be/jvA4oV_-29Y

#110 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 23 November 2018 - 08:02 PM

Turns 25 tomorrow.

https://youtu.be/jvA4oV_-29Y

Hmmm may have to drink some beers and listen tonight
  • NewMarketSean likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#111 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 08:03 PM

Also if you think The Chronic is better than Doggystyle yous a fool

@bopper33

#112 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 08:13 PM

Also if you think The Chronic is better than Doggystyle yous a fool

We agree!

#113 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 08:59 PM

We agree!

Only took 15 years!

Christ have we really been posting on message boards that long?
  • BSLChrisStoner and JeremyStrain like this

@bopper33

#114 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 02:17 PM

So I have been listening to every major rap/hip-hop album year by year, since 1990 over the last few months and I have come to this conclusion.

1997 is the year that killed rap & hip-hop.

Sure there were some great albums that year: Life After Death and Wu-Tang Forever chief among them. But overall the output that year was well below previous ones. Plus this is when Puffy thought he could rap and had a solo album, Missy Elliott launched her debut album, and posthumous 2Pac albums came out seemingly once a month. Not good. I think 1998 was a little better, but this when rap turned a corner for the worse IMO.

#115 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 01 August 2019 - 03:42 PM

That may very well be an astute observation, but it's also very much in the expected range for when someone would say a type of music they grew up loving started going downhill.

#116 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 01 August 2019 - 07:40 PM

So I have been listening to every major rap/hip-hop album year by year, since 1990 over the last few months and I have come to this conclusion.

1997 is the year that killed rap & hip-hop.

Sure there were some great albums that year: Life After Death and Wu-Tang Forever chief among them. But overall the output that year was well below previous ones. Plus this is when Puffy thought he could rap and had a solo album, Missy Elliott launched her debut album, and posthumous 2Pac albums came out seemingly once a month. Not good. I think 1998 was a little better, but this when rap turned a corner for the worse IMO.

Whoa Nellie (or Nelly if you will). 1998 was a big year for hip hop. DMX had his biggest CD, Jay had Hard Knock vol 2, Lauryn Hill, Outkast had Aquemini, Tribe had the Love Movement, Meth had Tical 2000, Goodie Mob Still Standing, RZA with Bobby Digital. I think Blackstar was that year too wasn't it?

Oh no my friend, you can say it started going downhill in '97, but it was alive and well in 98.

1999 it may have been in hospice though. Em had his debut, and Dre had 2001, but after that I think the Roots, and MAYBE a Mos Def and that was about it. Jay might have snuck vol 3 out that year too, it was either then or 2000.

@JeremyMStrain

#117 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 06:00 AM

Bobby Digital sucked. In fact all of RZA’s solo stuff has sucked.

1998 also had Moment of Truth.

#118 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 02 August 2019 - 11:32 AM

Bobby Digital sucked. In fact all of RZA’s solo stuff has sucked.

1998 also had Moment of Truth.

OK ok, it wasn't world shaking. I like RZA though. Yes, to your point no where near as good as when he is part of the whole. Was it that year or the next when SWARM came out? I just remember 98 being HUGE for Wu, if he was doing Meth and Red's solo albums too he would have had to cloned himself that year. (Sidenote, anyone watch that Wu documentary, I think it was on HBO?)

@JeremyMStrain

#119 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 02:23 PM

OK ok, it wasn't world shaking. I like RZA though. Yes, to your point no where near as good as when he is part of the whole. Was it that year or the next when SWARM came out? I just remember 98 being HUGE for Wu, if he was doing Meth and Red's solo albums too he would have had to cloned himself that year. (Sidenote, anyone watch that Wu documentary, I think it was on HBO?)

It was on Showtime. I saw it.

'98 had Tical 2000, Bobby Digital, Cappadonna, The Swarm and Killah Priest.

I love RZA but I was never into his Bobby Digital persona.

• JeremyStrain likes this

#120 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 23 August 2019 - 03:51 PM

Where do you guys rank Big L? Or Gang Starr for that matter?

@fuzydunlop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=