Photo

EDIT: 2017 Vacations -- Where are you going?

• Please log in to reply
342 replies to this topic

#101 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:39 AM

My week at Myrtle Beach starts Saturday!  Ready to get out of this damn office for a while.  Leaving tomorrow to drive to Emporia VA (right on the border of NC).  Not necessary, but with 3 little ones thought it would make it easier to split the drive in half

#102 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,604 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:54 AM

My week at Myrtle Beach starts Saturday!  Ready to get out of this damn office for a while.  Leaving tomorrow to drive to Emporia VA (right on the border of NC).  Not necessary, but with 3 little ones thought it would make it easier to split the drive in half

Probably a good idea. Traffic is always a nightmare on 95 until NC so best to get it out of the way and then crash.

Hit the Cook Out in NC. Good fast food and super cheap. A million milkshakes. There's one off 95 in Roanoke Rapids.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#103 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,379 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:21 AM

I'll be about an hour and a half north of you. We will be in Hatteras by 10am sat. We leave about 4a and get ahead of all the va traffic. I think Ocean Isle is at the bottom of the outer banks and that's 45 min from myrtle. A ferry ride and another 45 or hour from there is our spot.

Hope you guys have a blast.
  • DuffMan likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#104 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 10:41 PM

Skipped the beach this year and just got back from a great vacation in the Adirondacks.  If you've never been I highly recommend making at least 1 trip there.  It's within a day's drive and is just incredibly beautiful.

#105 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,604 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 12:26 PM

I have just arrived in Kings Landing (Dubrovnik). We've been having a blast. This country is beautiful in every way. Prices are cheap. Food is good but not great but that's the only quibble. Montenegro was even cheaper but the food was more plain. I've loved both places and can't recommend them enough. If you want to visit Europe and can put off the main sights and landmarks for a future trip this place is the perfect way to pop a Europe cherry. I've been driving around all week and no issues. Some crazy drivers and tight spaces but very straight forward. I'll have a better more details trip report when I get back.
  • RShack likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#106 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,604 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:07 AM

Awesome trip. Probably my favorite place in Europe. Cheap prices, amazing beaches and water, beautiful towns, cities and people.

Highly recommend...if anyone has any specific questions let me know.

• Russ, mweb08, Nigel Tufnel and 1 other like this

#107 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,888 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 03:34 PM

May have just talked the wife into extending our Thailand trip from 2 weeks to 3!  Gah!  Change fees would be like $500+ on the flight probably, but I don't care (and that's a drop compared to the cost of an extra week of food, lodging, and activities).  Trying to stay relaxed, she's gotta "figure it out with work" but damn, this would be freaking awesome if it comes through.  I put the odds at about 10% but even that small chance is making me giddy.

• Russ likes this

#108 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,604 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 03:52 PM

Shit you're flying all that way there, might as well stay for as long as you can.

#109 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,888 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 04:03 PM

Preaching to the choir, Sean!  She was pretty sure it was a no-go from work both in terms of her needing to be there (she's an architect currently in charge of doing whatever architects do while something is actually under construction for the rebuilding of Wheaton HS, and that opens in January so the push up to that in December is gonna be real busy) and in terms of vacation time (she took a good bit of time off around the wedding and other days here and there throughout the year).  Not sure if any of that changed or if it's just inspiration from the map I made showing the locations of all the awesome islands in the Andaman sea and how many cool different paradises there are there, but she's gonna look into seeing if she can dig into next year's vacation and get an extra week.

We are gonna hit Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Siem Reap before getting down to Phuket/Krabi area.  I think we can do those other three cities in 6 days or so, but even condensing like that only would leave us a week at the various islands (and I'd really like to do at least an overnight and up to 3-day liveaboard scuba trip, she's less enthused about doing any scuba) and we want to finish the trip with 2-3 days at one of the nearly uninhabited ones in a hut.

#110 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,380 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 23 September 2015 - 04:55 PM

Why is she less enthused about SCUBA?

#111 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,603 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 23 September 2015 - 05:00 PM

Do you really capitalize "scuba"?  Snob.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#112 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,380 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 23 September 2015 - 05:05 PM

Do you really capitalize "scuba"?  Snob.

That's what I'm going for.
  • DJ MC likes this

#113 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,264 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 05:14 PM

10th anniversary next week (the 1st), going back to Aruba. Went for our honeymoon, looking forward to getting back.
  • mweb08, Mackus and DuffMan like this

#114 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,604 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 07:04 PM

Preaching to the choir, Sean! She was pretty sure it was a no-go from work both in terms of her needing to be there (she's an architect currently in charge of doing whatever architects do while something is actually under construction for the rebuilding of Wheaton HS, and that opens in January so the push up to that in December is gonna be real busy) and in terms of vacation time (she took a good bit of time off around the wedding and other days here and there throughout the year). Not sure if any of that changed or if it's just inspiration from the map I made showing the locations of all the awesome islands in the Andaman sea and how many cool different paradises there are there, but she's gonna look into seeing if she can dig into next year's vacation and get an extra week. We are gonna hit Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Siem Reap before getting down to Phuket/Krabi area. I think we can do those other three cities in 6 days or so, but even condensing like that only would leave us a week at the various islands (and I'd really like to do at least an overnight and up to 3-day liveaboard scuba trip, she's less enthused about doing any scuba) and we want to finish the trip with 2-3 days at one of the nearly uninhabited ones in a hut.

We looked at Thailand for a hot minute before deciding on Croatia. I think it was rainy season in September. Heard some hit and miss stuff on Phuket. I'll get there I'm sure but I despise long flights. Took 3 flights and 24 hrs to get back from Podgorica but we had to fly to Chicago from Vienna to keep the cost down. Go figure...more flights are less expensive. Rock on, airline industry. Fucktards.

#115 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,604 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 07:05 PM

10th anniversary next week (the 1st), going back to Aruba. Went for our honeymoon, looking forward to getting back.

Awesome, Chris. Enjoy man. Say hi to Sid for me.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#116 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,604 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 07:05 PM

Guadeloupe in February.

#117 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,604 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 08:09 AM

Thrillist: Why you should stop complaining about air travel

https://www.thrillis...-travel?share=c

Kind of agree. I hate to fly mostly because people are gross and the seats are uncomfortable, but flying Austrian Air back from our Croatia trip, the movie selection was good and the screens were HD. Food was decent and free booze.

#118 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 September 2015 - 08:11 AM

Our Punta Cana trip is right around the corner.  Mixed emotions about leaving the baby though.

#119 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,604 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 08:15 AM

Our Punta Cana trip is right around the corner.  Mixed emotions about leaving the baby though.

Got to be tough doing it for the first time....I can't even imagine.

PC is great though -- if you haven't been before you'll love it. Hopefully it's not overrun with Sargassum seaweed like most of the Caribbean this summer.

#120 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,264 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 08:34 AM

Where are you staying? We went 2 years ago with Laura's work..  stayed at Larimar. Didn't get the chance to leave the resort. Certainly was gorgeous... food was okay.   Drinks and sun will be good for you guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=