Photo

EDIT: 2017 Vacations -- Where are you going?

• Please log in to reply
342 replies to this topic

#281 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:39 PM

Damn that's a great deal. What airline is it and when are you going? We're staying in Tossa Del Mar for two night when were there in September. Looks like a cool beach town. Check it out.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#282 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:28 AM

Damn that's a great deal. What airline is it and when are you going? We're staying in Tossa Del Mar for two night when were there in September. Looks like a cool beach town. Check it out.

It's American Airlines during the second half of August.  Flying and returning on a Monday.

Tossa del Mar and Parpignan are the two leaders in the clubhouse for towns we're currently thinking about staying.  Haven't done a ton of research yet so need to get on that. 

#283 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 08:31 AM

Flights to Europe are the cheapest I've ever seen them.

WOW has flights to London and back for the same dates I am flying there and back for $999 total for 2 people. We spent $1350. Granted WOW is a discount airline and has a connection but they're pretty good.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#284 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 08:33 AM

It's American Airlines during the second half of August.  Flying and returning on a Monday.

Tossa del Mar and Parpignan are the two leaders in the clubhouse for towns we're currently thinking about staying.  Haven't done a ton of research yet so need to get on that. 

Really starting to research our trip. I know nothing about Perpignan but it would include a border crossing which could be an added headache during August which will be the busiest time of the year. I've also been reading that BCN will be deserted -- people on vacation the whole month so you may want to make sure museums and landmarks will be open while you're there.

TDM looks really cool...lots of good beaches and cliff diving. Super excited to go there, it's our first stop when we fly into Spain from London. It may also be swamped while you'll be there. I'm sure you'll have a great time regardless, but seaside towns will be very crowded and there will be a lot of traffic on the road.

#285 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 08:49 AM

I wouldn't worry much about crossing borders in Europe via train or car.  I've never seen any border control when doing so.  Haven't done it to/from Spain, though.  Just make sure you get the proper vignette sticker for your car window for each country you drive in.  I think that's all you gotta do.

Still haven't booked our accommodations, but we're thinking of renting a car and leaving Barcelona as soon as we arrive, drive north up the coast to Tossa de Mar and stay a night or two.  Then drive to a town on the Bay of Roses called L'Escala for a couple nights and poke around there, including some diving in a small town nearby called L'Estartit to dive at the Medes Isles which is a national preserve that's supposedly the best dive site in Costa Brava / French Riviera.  Then drive to Carcassonne in France for a night.  Then on for a week of beachside camping with my wife's sister's family in France, a bit south of Montpellier.  Will have a couple days after that week before we fly out, likely going straight back to Barcelona and hang there for those two days.  My sister and her fiance who live in Germany may meet up with us for some of the trip.

I'm most excited for the food.  I wanna sit by the water and watch small fishing boats bring in the day's catch and have them grilled in front of me.  Tiny little sardines and nice pieces of octopus and shellfish.  Can't wait!

#286 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:21 AM

I forgot about the Schengen Zone, where you can pretty much move freely through member countries without having to stop for passport control. I crossed the borders of Montenegro/Bosnia/Croatia on a trip, all countries not part of the Schengen Zone so I had to show passport each time and it was pretty smooth sailing in September. So, yeah, you should be good.

I stopped at Carcassonne for a few hours while we were on our way from Bordeaux to Nice. Great town...awesome castle.

Sounds like an awesome trip you have planned. I would try to squeeze in Andorra just because, when else will you go to Andorra. But then again, you're Mackus...you've probably already been.

I'd like to do Gibraltar on this trip but we just don't have the time.

#287 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:37 AM

We thought about Andorra for that exact reason, when else are we gonna go there?  But it's fairly far out of our way, about a 3 hour drive from any of the spots we are considering which are all kind of along the same route.  Carcassonne and perhaps Girona will be about the furthest we venture off of the coastal roads for day or overnight trips.

#288 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:18 AM

Andorra is my go to no-extradition country. In case I kill Cerrano or something.
  • NewMarketSean likes this

@fuzydunlop

#289 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 13 July 2017 - 11:39 AM

Costa Rica was great. Fantastic combination of beaches, rainforests (with animals like sloths, monkey's, lizards, dart frogs, toucans, etc), waterfalls, and mountains/volcanoes.
  • NewMarketSean likes this

#290 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:06 AM

I just watched the Parts Unknown episode on San Sebastian. Wow. I wish I was going there on this trip to Spain, but it didn't work out logistically. I will get there at some point, though. 

#291 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:48 AM

Just got back from another great vacation at Myrtle Beach.  As a guy who likes swimming the ocean it's a great place.  The water stays fairly shallow even out past where the waves break, so I felt safe having the kids out there and they got to ride a bunch of waves in.  No bad riptides either.  We were out every day and the lifeguards never whistled at anyone or got off their chair once.  As a parent, it's an ideal place to take your kids to the ocean.  And the water temp was perfect.

Great week.  Went to a Pelicans game on Sunday, and on Sundays you get to play catch on the field before the game, so my kids had a great time with that as well.

• SportsGuy likes this

#292 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:59 AM

Can I just say how much this power outage on Hatteras SUCKS right now? Supposed to be down there on Sat and they are hedging bets and won't say if the island will be open or not.

Cause we rent from our godmother she was awesome enough to let us take our check and go get another house if we can find one, but we are hoping things work out there first, and then would have to scramble last second to find a new place if they won't be done with this stupid power line before Sat. It's driving me nuts right now.

@JeremyMStrain

#293 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 01 August 2017 - 11:49 AM

Going to San Diego next month with my girlfriend. Got a Southwest flight for $260 roundtrip which isn't bad.

Any recommendations?

#294 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 01 August 2017 - 12:03 PM

Going to San Diego next month with my girlfriend. Got a Southwest flight for $260 roundtrip which isn't bad.

Any recommendations?

San Diego Zoo Safari Park  (way cooler than the Zoo)

Ballast Point

Gaslamp Quarter

Stone Brewing  (The World Bistro/Liberty Station is a really nice one)

If the Padres are in town catch a game at Petco too.

• Chris B likes this

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#295 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 01 August 2017 - 12:21 PM

San Diego Zoo Safari Park  (way cooler than the Zoo)

Ballast Point

Gaslamp Quarter

Stone Brewing  (The World Bistro/Liberty Station is a really nice one)

If the Padres are in town catch a game at Petco too.

Thanks! Luckily they have a night game the Thursday we get in (then on the road) so I definitely want to go to that.

#296 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 01:19 PM

Kelly and I will be in San Diego as well. LA and OC too.

I'll be visiting friends, but will also be doing a lot of tourist stuff:
- Getty
- Griffith Park
- Several breweries
- SD Zoo & Safari Park
- Petco Park for a Phillies game
- Angels Stadium for an O's game
- La Jolla for kayaking and snorkeling

#297 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 01:24 PM

I don't agree that the Safari Park is way cooler than the zoo, but I definitely agree that it's worth visiting.

#298 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:05 PM

Angels Stadium for an O's game-

Which day for the O's game? We'll be there Tuesday and Wednesday.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#299 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:18 PM

Just got back from another great vacation at Myrtle Beach.  As a guy who likes swimming the ocean it's a great place.  The water stays fairly shallow even out past where the waves break, so I felt safe having the kids out there and they got to ride a bunch of waves in.  No bad riptides either.  We were out every day and the lifeguards never whistled at anyone or got off their chair once.  As a parent, it's an ideal place to take your kids to the ocean.  And the water temp was perfect.

Great week.  Went to a Pelicans game on Sunday, and on Sundays you get to play catch on the field before the game, so my kids had a great time with that as well.

Been wanting to go there.  Might do a golf trip there as well.

#300 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:23 PM

Tuesday Markus. We'll be in RF.

And we'll likely be hitting up a nearby brewery pre-game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=