Photo

EDIT: 2017 Vacations -- Where are you going?

• Please log in to reply
342 replies to this topic

#1 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 01:57 PM

My wife and I got back from the Mayan Riveria over the weekend. We've been there a couple times before, but we found a cheap deal for air and decided what the hell? And from the sound of it, we got out at the perfect time.

We stayed at a condo in Puerto Morelos which is about 15 miles south of Cancun.

Anyway, I love the place. Rented a car, drove around all week, went to awesome beaches, swam in cenotes, ate awesome local food, the weather was amazing, and it was CHEAP.

Highly recommended.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#2 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 02 February 2015 - 02:10 PM

What's CHEAP if you don't mind me asking?

Kelly are going to my friend's wedding in New Hampshire in June. If snow days don't make us come back down here after the wedding we plan on making it a big road trip. It will likely include Boston, Cooperstown, Niagra Falls, Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa (I have family there), and potentially Chicago (her parents may be living there). Plenty of hiking to be had, baseball to be watched, breweries to visit, and museums/zoos/landmarks to see.

#3 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 02:49 PM

$420 total for 2 people for non-stop air from Dulles to Cancun on Frontier, $1050 for a condo for the week, bought our own groceries for the week and the prices for food, beer, etc, are pretty low. We never spent more than $60 for a meal out with drinks and tip included. We also rented a car for the week -- $95 -- so we could avoid expensive tours that offer hotel transfers. We just showed up to the places we wanted to see and things we wanted to do.

Wow thats a pretty ambitious road trip. How much time were you factoring to do all of that? 

I love Montreal -- and went to Niagara Falls/Toronto last year. Toronto is cool, great streetcar system, although it lacked the charm I feel like other Canadian cities have. St. Lawrence Market is the best city market I've ever visited though -- don't miss it.

The Niagara wine region just over the border in Canada is REALLY good. Take a day to explore that too.

• mweb08 likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#4 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 02 February 2015 - 03:40 PM

Going to Sarasota in March.  Will be going to Pittsburgh in March as well if the Terps end up there.

Florida Keys is a possibility in April, as is Boston.

Ocean City in May.

Buffalo/Niagara/Toronto in June.

San Francisco some time in the fall. 

Vegas in early September.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 03:46 PM

Went to Vieques for New Year's and the first week of the year.

Going to bachelor parties in Key West and New Orleans (mine) in April/May.

My honeymoon's going to be 2 weeks in Thailand.  I think we're gonna wait until around Thanksgiving or early December though so the weather is good.

#6 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 05:03 PM

Went to Vieques for New Year's and the first week of the year.

Going to bachelor parties in Key West and New Orleans (mine) in April/May.

My honeymoon's going to be 2 weeks in Thailand.  I think we're gonna wait until around Thanksgiving or early December though so the weather is good.

You travel well. I am impressed.

#7 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 February 2015 - 05:27 PM

Outer Banks, NC in late August with the family, as we have done for over 20 years.

Morgantown, WV in September when the Terps play West Virginia.

New York City in November when the Terps play at Madison Square Garden.

New Brunswick, NJ in November when the Terps play Rutgers.

Bowl game if and when the Terps make it, and they're east of the Mississippi.

@BSLZackKiesel

#8 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 05:48 PM

$420 total for 2 people for non-stop air from Dulles to Cancun on Frontier, $1050 for a condo for the week, bought our own groceries for the week and the prices for food, beer, etc, are pretty low. We never spent more than $60 for a meal out with drinks and tip included. We also rented a car for the week -- $95 -- so we could avoid expensive tours that offer hotel transfers. We just showed up to the places we wanted to see and things we wanted to do.

Wow thats a pretty ambitious road trip. How much time were you factoring to do all of that? 

I love Montreal -- and went to Niagara Falls/Toronto last year. Toronto is cool, great streetcar system, although it lacked the charm I feel like other Canadian cities have. St. Lawrence Market is the best city market I've ever visited though -- don't miss it.

The Niagara wine region just over the border in Canada is REALLY good. Take a day to explore that too.

Depends if Chicago is happening or not. Without Chicago, probably 15 days. With Chicago, maybe something like 25 days.

#9 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 02 February 2015 - 11:18 PM

My buddies want to do Milwaukee/Chicago for a baseball trip.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#10 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 February 2015 - 11:21 PM

Did that a few years ago. It was awesome. Love the scene at Miller.

#11 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 February 2015 - 11:30 PM

Would love to travel more...house and bills get in the way.

Just heading to Panama City Beach for vacation...where I got married.

#12 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:29 AM

Do. It.

@DJ_McCann

#13 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 09:14 AM

Depends if Chicago is happening or not. Without Chicago, probably 15 days. With Chicago, maybe something like 25 days.

I'd probably want 3 weeks to do what you have listed if you skip Chicago and probably a month to do what you have listed if you go to Chicago.

#14 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 12:50 PM

Two questions I'll throw out to the board as Kelly and I think about doing something for Spring Break.

Best places to visit during Spring Break within a 5 hour drive of Baltimore not including NYC, Philly, DC or Pittsburgh?

Best U.S. cities east of the Mississippi and not including the aforementioned ones to visit for a few days?

#15 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 12:59 PM

Two questions I'll throw out to the board as Kelly and I think about doing something for Spring Break.

Best places to visit during Spring Break within a 5 hour drive of Baltimore not including NYC, Philly, DC or Pittsburgh?

Best U.S. cities east of the Mississippi and not including the aforementioned ones to visit for a few days?

I'd drive as far south as you can get for spring break...OBX is probably it. Otherwise, VA wine country (anywhere from Loudon Co to Charlottesville area).

For your second question: Asheville NC, Nashville TN, Memphis TN, Cincinnati OH, Chicago IL...

My wife and I are doing Charleston and Savannah end of April.

#16 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 01:02 PM

I really want to check out Charleston at some point.

#17 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 01:04 PM

I've never been to OBX. Wouldn't it be better to wait for warmer weather/water? Those are some appealing cities. Thanks.

#18 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 01:13 PM

I've never been to OBX. Wouldn't it be better to wait for warmer weather/water? Those are some appealing cities. Thanks.

Yes.  There isn't much to do there if it's not nice out.  You don't have to wait for midseason, but it's hit or miss if you're before Memorial Day or after Labor Day.  And probably far more miss than hit if you're a month or more on either side.

But you should definitely go if you enjoy the beach.  Far better than Ocean City beaches and really not that bad of a drive.  I'd highly suggest one of the places where you have to access the houses from the beach.

#19 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 06 March 2015 - 01:34 PM

There's a huge kite surfing community down there from march til may, full wet suits and stuff...but that's about it that time of year. Most of the houses are full of enough stuff that it can still be a good trip, on the cheap too, hot tubs, pool tables, and some houses will start heating the pools in April if you pay for it.

You aren't wrong though.
@JeremyMStrain

#20 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 06 March 2015 - 01:43 PM

About to leave Disney after about a week. Exhausting but a great time. Picked a good week weather wise.
  • JeremyStrain likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=