#201 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:27 PM

So kind of checked out after Summer Slam. I see Punk is still the champ which is what I expected. I've thought he would hold it heading into Royal Rumble where he will lose it to the Rock with help from Austin. Still sets up my Wrestlemania predicitions of

Punk- Austin
Rock- Cena 2 for the title where IMO Cena turns heel to win the title.
Brock- Undertaker.

I saw something somewhere, might have been JR's blog, that basically said you won't see Austin and the Rock on the same card because neither would play 2nd fiddle to the other. So, I doubt you'd see both of those matches. I'd much rather see Austin/Punk, though. Not that the WWE cares about this, but the slogan they forced down our throat for the Rock/Cena match was 'Once in a Lifetime'. Just more WWE thinking their audience has no long term memory.

@AdamWolff

#202 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:35 AM

Ziggler/Cena will be done to really elevate Dolph and make him a more legit time holder, when he wins it.

I read that the plan the entire time was for Ryback to win and then lose it later in a triple threat match, where he wouldn't get pinned. Vince changed it a few days before the ppv.

#203 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:35 PM

PyeAMZTGdig
Apparently Jake "The Snake" has been staying with DDP. Trying to get back into shape I assume.
@mrbeanage

#204 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:39 PM

Triple threat match with Cena, Punk and Ryback at SS as well.

No Punk and Ryback in SS match anymore...so, why did they have the whole Foley/Punk thing last week then? Pretty stupid.

#205 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:19 PM

Triple threat match with Cena, Punk and Ryback at SS as well.

No Punk and Ryback in SS match anymore...so, why did they have the whole Foley/Punk thing last week then? Pretty stupid.

Shows that WWE really is flying by the seat of their pants these days. Just an awful build for what is supposed to be one of your biggest PPVs of the year. I read a report on one of the wrestling sites that the change was made because of the negative reaction to the first main event. There was no booking in the first place, then they change it a week later for, storyline wise, basically no reason. Just bad these days.

@AdamWolff

#206 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

Shows that WWE really is flying by the seat of their pants these days. Just an awful build for what is supposed to be one of your biggest PPVs of the year. I read a report on one of the wrestling sites that the change was made because of the negative reaction to the first main event. There was no booking in the first place, then they change it a week later for, storyline wise, basically no reason. Just bad these days.

It's McMahons fault.

#207 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,388 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:50 PM

Not to get political, but Linda McMahon lost again. I would think that she would give it up now after spending 100M over two elections and losing both. Maybe that will allow Vince to go more edgy.

#208 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:24 AM

Not to get political, but Linda McMahon lost again. I would think that she would give it up now after spending 100M over two elections and losing both. Maybe that will allow Vince to go more edgy.

I was hoping for the same and was rooting against her very much last night. I think her political aspirations have definitely had an effect on the product. Not that the WWE will ever go back to anything like the attitude era, but seeing furious, muscle bound guys say they're going to beat the crap out of each other is just corny. I think there can be a tasteful way to use things like swearing and blood, so as they aren't the norm and don't overshadown the wrestling, but so that when they do happen, it gives the thought that, 'Oh wow, sh** just got real!'.

If TNA ever has that 'Wow' angle like they found with NWO, or something to make it a closer playing field, they'll blow WWE out of the water. Right now they're the clear cut number 2, not by a close margin, but it's not for like of talent, storylines, etc.

@AdamWolff

#209 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

I was hoping for the same and was rooting against her very much last night. I think her political aspirations have definitely had an effect on the product. Not that the WWE will ever go back to anything like the attitude era, but seeing furious, muscle bound guys say they're going to beat the crap out of each other is just corny. I think there can be a tasteful way to use things like swearing and blood, so as they aren't the norm and don't overshadown the wrestling, but so that when they do happen, it gives the thought that, 'Oh wow, sh** just got real!'.

If TNA ever has that 'Wow' angle like they found with NWO, or something to make it a closer playing field, they'll blow WWE out of the water. Right now they're the clear cut number 2, not by a close margin, but it's not for like of talent, storylines, etc.

TNA has no chance to overtake WWE and they shouldn't even try.

#210 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:24 PM

TNA has no chance to overtake WWE and they shouldn't even try.

I wouldn't rule it out at some point in the distant future, but for right now and coming years, I think you're correct. TNA is doing weekly shows in front of 1/10th or more that WWE is doing. TNA's biggest PPV will still draw less than WWE's smallest. In term's of the company's themselves, they're not even comparable. As a fan of professional wrestling for quite awhile, I personally have enjoyed the quality of TNA lately moreso than the WWE. I think if a lot of WWE fans, particularly the older ones, gave TNA an honest shot, they'd enjoy it more as well.

TNA needs to get out of the Impact Zone, at least for all of their PPVs. Going live was a big step in the right direction, they just need to keep taking those positive steps.

@AdamWolff

#211 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

I wouldn't rule it out at some point in the distant future, but for right now and coming years, I think you're correct. TNA is doing weekly shows in front of 1/10th or more that WWE is doing. TNA's biggest PPV will still draw less than WWE's smallest. In term's of the company's themselves, they're not even comparable. As a fan of professional wrestling for quite awhile, I personally have enjoyed the quality of TNA lately moreso than the WWE. I think if a lot of WWE fans, particularly the older ones, gave TNA an honest shot, they'd enjoy it more as well.

TNA needs to get out of the Impact Zone, at least for all of their PPVs. Going live was a big step in the right direction, they just need to keep taking those positive steps.

I think once people start to get tired of the WWE (there's only so many main event PPVs of Cena-Punk one can take), I can see people start watching TNA more, but that's not going to happen anytime soon. TNA is making progress with the edgier storylines like Aces and Eights, which is what is lacking for the WWE, but I think that's because they're going with what the WWE doesn't do.

I would like to see ROH get some better ratings, but I think that's not going to happen until they can more recognizable wrestlers.
@mrbeanage

#212 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:23 PM

There is no doubt that the WWE has got to get more factions together...they draw ratings.

#213 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:57 PM

There is no doubt that the WWE has got to get more factions together...they draw ratings.

Not exactly sure why now, but growing up, the best episodes of wrestling for me involved D-X, the nWo, the Corporate Ministry, or farther back with the Million Dollar Corporation. I'm just grateful that I have WWE on demand where I can watch the wrestling matches from back in the 80s and 90s, when wrestling was more enjoyable.
@mrbeanage

#214 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:19 PM

Not exactly sure why now, but growing up, the best episodes of wrestling for me involved D-X, the nWo, the Corporate Ministry, or farther back with the Million Dollar Corporation. I'm just grateful that I have WWE on demand where I can watch the wrestling matches from back in the 80s and 90s, when wrestling was more enjoyable.

Yep, with you there.

The weird thing is, factions have had enormous success over the years. Even ones that weren't necessarily a hit were usually decent. Low card guys who are part of a faction tend to be perceived as being more important or valuable overall, so it can be a nice bump for their careers in terms of making people care about them.

I thought even the Nexus was well done.

@AdamWolff

#215 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:37 AM

Yep, with you there.

The weird thing is, factions have had enormous success over the years. Even ones that weren't necessarily a hit were usually decent. Low card guys who are part of a faction tend to be perceived as being more important or valuable overall, so it can be a nice bump for their careers in terms of making people care about them.

They got huge ratings with Nexus too.

#216 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:35 PM

Yep, with you there.

You're right about that. I was looking at D-X, and other than Triple H and Michaels, the other members of the group were just mid-level guys, IMO. "The Roaddog" Jessie James used to be The Roadie. "Badass" Billy Gunn used to be Rockabilly and Bart Gunn. And X-Pac used to be the 1-2-3 Kid. Mid-level guys, but nothing really big.
@mrbeanage

#217 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:43 PM

I've started to notice that ever since Lawler had his heart attack, Michael Cole seems to be more likeable. I remember before, he would have his issues with Lawler and Jim Ross, but not anymore. Have you guys noticed that?
@mrbeanage

#218 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,765 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:17 AM

Yep, with you there.

Got to give a shout out to The Mean Street Possee, those guys were great!

#219 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:02 PM

Can't forget the Spirit Squad!
@mrbeanage

#220 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,383 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:08 PM

Can't forget the Spirit Squad!

Hey, in fairness, that led to Dolph Ziggler, and they have been repackaging another one of them in OVW, he's held the Heavyweight title a couple times down there. That's usually reserved for guys they are going to give a shot.
@JeremyMStrain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=