#1 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:27 PM

We need an ongoing Pro Wrestling thread, yes? I know SG and I are fans, but perhaps others will find this a fun stop-over as well.

So, what are your thoughts on the WWE leading up to the Royal Rumble?

#2 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:15 PM

The Royal Rumble approaches, and has always been a favorite of mine. The WWE should cut back from their current rate of about 14 PPV's per year and go to about eight. It would make the PPV's more important and viable.

The RR is always interesting... thoughts?

#3 Brobey

Brobey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 561 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:19 AM

What did you think of Jericho's return last night? If anyone can pull off that type of "personality" it is Jericho.

I'm glad to see him trying something new and I think he'll be able to pull it off...the crowd was already booing at the end of his 15 minute celebration last night.
@brobey1

#4 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:32 AM

What did you think of Jericho's return last night? If anyone can pull off that type of "personality" it is Jericho.

I'm glad to see him trying something new and I think he'll be able to pull it off...the crowd was already booing at the end of his 15 minute celebration last night.

I have never been a big Jericho guy. I agree that he is good on the mic but he just never wowed me in the ring.

The WWE really blows right now. I watch it but I think its more like a train wreck at this point.

The only thing they can do right now is turn Cena heel. You really have to.

Everything else is just so stale.

They have to push more younger talent and they need to stop moving the title around to just a few guys.

Although, they did try to push Del Rio but he is just awful.

#5 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:02 PM

I've actually been following TNA lately and the product hasn't been that bad. I ordered the PPV last night, and well, that's 45 bucks I won't get back. I enjoyed the Abyss vs Bully Ray Monster's Ball match and the Hardy/Roode Main Event, but that was about it. Plus, the Hardy/Roode match had a really, really lame ending. WWE's popularity isn't exactly soaring right now, it would be a great time for TNA to gain some momentum. As I said, I think the weekly product has been solid, but you have to deliver better when people are shelling out almost 50 bucks to see your PPV.

WWE wise, I hope Jericho has something to say tonight on Raw. Unlike a lot of people who have been very critical of the WWE lately, I actually think they're doing okay. I think Punk, Rhodes, and Ryder are all great and very deserving of the titles they hold. Ziggler had a nice run with the US title and now appears to be moving on up. I think they gave Daniel Bryan the belt too soon and don't like him as the champion, but whatever. They needed him to build momentum for a few months, which they didn't do at all. He won Money in the Bank on July 17th and cashed in on December 18th. In the 5 months in between, he didn't do much at all. Weird way to build up your future title holder.

Rumble should be good. The rumble match itself is always great, and CM Punk vs Dolph Ziggler should be excellent. Maybe Laurinaitis actually screws Punk out of the title? Might be a little premature to put the belt on Dolph, but he should definitely have it eventually.

@AdamWolff

#6 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:30 PM

I was disappointed. The WWE, like SG said earlier- is in disarray, and is in need of some exciting changes.

#7 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:21 AM

My biggest issue with the Jericho situation is that you are taking a guy that, for his career, has been one of the best on the mic EVER, and keeping him silent for 2 weeks. I get that they're trying to build up heat for him, but I don't think this is a great way. Jericho is gold on the mic, he can get heat very easily.

Also, Jericho has been around long enough. Why is it necessary for him to be a "face" or "heel"? Let the people that love him love him, let those that hate him hate him. Just because he's (likely) going to feud with Punk and Punk is a face doesn't mean he has to get a bunch of heat. I guess maybe he wins the Rumble to set up the Punk feud?

@AdamWolff

#8 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:56 AM

Gosh darn it Jericho is brilliant. I was hoping he'd continue the charade until the Royal Rumble. I hope he wins the Royal Rumble so that I get to see a dream feud/Wrestlemania match: CM Punk vs. Chris Jericho. I can't even begin to imagine the epic promos.

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#9 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:10 PM

Who do you think wins the Royal Rumble? Here are who I think has a real chance of winning it (in no real order)

Chris Jericho
The Miz (I would hate this, but I could see it happening)
Sheamus (If Jericho doesn't win it, I want Sheamus to. Best face on Smackdown.)
Wade Barrett
Randy Orton (Sadly, I could definitely see it happening)
Cody Rhodes (Sleeper pick)
Mark Henry
Brodus Clay (Seems like they really want to put him over, and I can't think of a better way to put someone over)

Other than that, can't think of anyone else who the WWE would want to have win the Rumble. They basically either go the returning superstar route (Jericho, Orton, Henry) or the mid-card route (Miz, Barrett, Sheamus, Rhodes, Clay).

@BaltimoreDavey

#10 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:42 PM

WrestleMania XXVIII Predictions Time! Who will be in the matches and who wins those matches?!

#11 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:15 PM

I can't make any predictions, other than the Undertaker will fight Triple H and beat him again to keep his Wrestlemania streak continued. I think it is up to 19-0 right now.

What I am more curious about is why did they decide to give Kane a mask again? I know he was off the air for a while. I think Mark Henry had something to do with it. Did something happen to his face during the attack? Do like the new Kane look. Never could get used to him as a fan favorite.
@mrbeanage

#12 Brobey

Brobey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 561 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:49 PM

I am really looking forward to the CM Punk/Jericho program going into Wrestlemania. Two of the best on the mic for 2 months, count me in.

As far as the other title, WWE always likes to do a 3 or 4 man match for one of the belts so I wouldnt be surprised to see Bryan/Shamus/Orton in the match, with potentially someone else added.
@brobey1

#13 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:46 PM

I am really looking forward to the CM Punk/Jericho program going into Wrestlemania. Two of the best on the mic for 2 months, count me in.

As far as the other title, WWE always likes to do a 3 or 4 man match for one of the belts so I wouldnt be surprised to see Bryan/Shamus/Orton in the match, with potentially someone else added.

I really like the character turn of Jericho now. I could really see this CM Punk-Jericho match being something good.

Although it would make sense making a 3 or 4 man match for the title, Wade Barrett being the other one IMO, I think that since Shamus won the Royal Rumble, I feel that the match should just be him against Daniel Bryan one on one.
@mrbeanage

#14 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:25 PM

I really like the character turn of Jericho now. I could really see this CM Punk-Jericho match being something good.

Although it would make sense making a 3 or 4 man match for the title, Wade Barrett being the other one IMO, I think that since Shamus won the Royal Rumble, I feel that the match should just be him against Daniel Bryan one on one.

I'll be shocked if Barrett even performs at Wrestlemania. He dislocated his elbow in that battle royal for the Wrestlemania match with Punk. Sheamus-Daniel Bryan would be a better match than most people think, but I think adding Big Show or Orton would make the match even more interesting.

Punk-Jericho will steal the show at Wrestlemania.

@BaltimoreDavey

#15 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:51 PM

Mania is setting up to be really, really good.

Sheamus vs Bryant will get completely overlooked by everyone, but it will be a good effort from both, a lot of solid in ring work I'm sure.

Triple H vs Taker 'Hell in a Cell' should be great. I expect both of them to give 110% in this match, as it could very well be Taker's last match? Who knows, but this should be another Taker WM classic.

Punk vs Jericho will be phenomenal because both of them are excellent. They really are two of the best in the world and I expect this match to be the match of the night.

Rock vs Cena has been billed for a year now, in what has to be the longest build up to a match ever. It's got the feel of a, "How the hell do one of these guys lose?" kind of matches, which is always great. I expect the in ring work to be relatively average, but it will be a good match overall. The fact that there is some legit animosity between these two (ala the classic Shawn vs. Bret matches) makes it even better.

Really, really looking forward to this event.

@AdamWolff

#16 Brobey

Brobey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 561 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:11 PM

Sheamus vs Bryant will get completely overlooked by everyone, but it will be a good effort from both, a lot of solid in ring work I'm sure.

Triple H vs Taker 'Hell in a Cell' should be great. I expect both of them to give 110% in this match, as it could very well be Taker's last match? Who knows, but this should be another Taker WM classic.

Punk vs Jericho will be phenomenal because both of them are excellent. They really are two of the best in the world and I expect this match to be the match of the night.

Rock vs Cena has been billed for a year now, in what has to be the longest build up to a match ever. It's got the feel of a, "How the hell do one of these guys lose?" kind of matches, which is always great. I expect the in ring work to be relatively average, but it will be a good match overall. The fact that there is some legit animosity between these two (ala the classic Shawn vs. Bret matches) makes it even better.

I love this year's build-up to Wrestlemania...they are giving ample time for all these matches to develop - now they just have to deliver the goods.

Do you think they will do a Money In the Bank match or are those completely done from Wrestlemania now that MITB has its own PPV?
@brobey1

#17 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:13 PM

I love this year's build-up to Wrestlemania...they are giving ample time for all these matches to develop - now they just have to deliver the goods.

Do you think they will do a Money In the Bank match or are those completely done from Wrestlemania now that MITB has its own PPV?

But they have gotten rid of the MITB PPV though.

There is some talk of a 4 on 4, 5 on 5 type match...Teddy Long's team vs John L's team...winner gets full control of both shows...that could replace MITB.

#18 Brobey

Brobey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 561 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:38 PM

There is some talk of a 4 on 4, 5 on 5 type match...Teddy Long's team vs John L's team...winner gets full control of both shows...that could replace MITB.

Oh, I didn't realize they got rid of the MITB PPV...I would much rather see a MITB match than a Survivor Series type match for control, although, based on the build-up on Raw, I'm guessing that is where they are going so that they have as many Raw/Smackdown guys on the PPV without having to clog it up with a lot of singles matches.
@brobey1

#19 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:15 PM

That's what it's looking like. It could be a good match, but I'd definitely prefer a MITB match.

I really hope they don't waste time on this Mania. Last year was the first I had ordered in a long time and it felt like they wasted sooo much time, then matches had to be quicker. I think you're going to have a LOT of time tied up in Cena/Rock, Jericho/Punk, and HHH/Taker..those matches should all go around 20 minutes a piece. Factor in the intros, highlight reels, etc. and those 3 matches could dominate half the show. Hopefully the Bryan/Sheamus and Rhodes/Show matches can be a little bit shorter but still impressive. Then you do this 4 or 5 man tag match and likely a Kane/Orton match, each getting ample time, and you're starting to get pretty full time wise.

I just hope they don't piss around and end up having a 4 minute match because of it. Stay focused, WWE!

@AdamWolff

#20 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:26 AM

That's what it's looking like. It could be a good match, but I'd definitely prefer a MITB match.

I really hope they don't waste time on this Mania. Last year was the first I had ordered in a long time and it felt like they wasted sooo much time, then matches had to be quicker. I think you're going to have a LOT of time tied up in Cena/Rock, Jericho/Punk, and HHH/Taker..those matches should all go around 20 minutes a piece. Factor in the intros, highlight reels, etc. and those 3 matches could dominate half the show. Hopefully the Bryan/Sheamus and Rhodes/Show matches can be a little bit shorter but still impressive. Then you do this 4 or 5 man tag match and likely a Kane/Orton match, each getting ample time, and you're starting to get pretty full time wise.

I just hope they don't piss around and end up having a 4 minute match because of it. Stay focused, WWE!

The WWE has announced that they're not doing a MITB match because Wade Barrett is going to be out for longer than they originally thought and won't be able to be at Wrestlemania. They had planned for Barrett to win the briefcase at Wrestlemania.

[http]

Really stupid move in my opinion. Just have Ziggler or Rhodes win it. A lot of people look forward to the MITB matches. Sometimes the WWE creative team really ticks me off, and this is one of those times.

@BaltimoreDavey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=