70 replies to this topic

#41 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 08:52 AM

So what? DDDD is staying put, so he can go back to work now? What a joke.

Could you please talk down to me and put that in plain English?

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#42 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:11 AM

I like acquiring Snider, feels like maybe we gave up too much to get him if we are giving up two prospects in the 15-20 range (depending on who the PTBNL ends up being), but that's been a Duquette MO.  He seems to have little concern for prospects outside the top 10 or so, he'll prioritize acquiring the best guy he can with a couple of bullets in our top 10-20 range over a slightly lesser guy who may only cost prospects with a lower consensus ranking.  I imagine they typically are trading away guys that his scouts don't anticipate taking any major steps forward, because without a major step forward, a prospect outside the top-10 in the organization is effectively never going to make an impact.  That's worked out fine so far, but may be biting us in the ass with Hader, though he really struggled in the move up to AA at the end of last season so maybe that won't be an issue either, but it was only 20 innings and he was dominant at A+.

#43 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:34 AM

Hader was one of our top ten prospects when traded even if he wasn't at the beginning of the season. Most of the guys ranked on a teams 10-20 end up being worthless. I liked Tarpley more than most of those because I think he has considerable upside but he's probably not making it to the majors.

#44 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:51 AM

Hader was one of our top ten prospects when traded even if he wasn't at the beginning of the season. Most of the guys ranked on a teams 10-20 end up being worthless. I liked Tarpley more than most of those because I think he has considerable upside but he's probably not making it to the majors.

Agreed. Harder is the only one that REALLY bothered me of all the recent moves, although I missed on Delmonico.
@JeremyMStrain

#45 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 11:20 AM

Agreed. Harder is the only one that REALLY bothered me of all the recent moves, although I missed on Delmonico.

I hated trading Delmonico who I was very high on, but he fell apart (both physically and performance-wise) nearly immediately after we traded him.  I guess the knock on Delmonico from a numbers stand-point would have been that he was already looking a bit like a 3-outcome type player - low BA, high BB, high HR - and if that is becoming an issue that low in the majors then higher level guys can take advantage of your weaknesses while not being as susceptible to your strengths.  Once you're in the majors, it doesn't really matter if you strike out a lot or whatever as long as the overall numbers are strong.  Substance is far mroe important than style.  But in the minors, if your substance is based on a style that isn't likely to improve, then your projected substance as you move up drops precipitously.

#46 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 28 January 2015 - 11:27 AM

I hated trading Delmonico who I was very high on, but he fell apart (both physically and performance-wise) nearly immediately after we traded him.  I guess the knock on Delmonico from a numbers stand-point would have been that he was already looking a bit like a 3-outcome type player - low BA, high BB, high HR - and if that is becoming an issue that low in the majors then higher level guys can take advantage of your weaknesses while not being as susceptible to your strengths.  Once you're in the majors, it doesn't really matter if you strike out a lot or whatever as long as the overall numbers are strong.  Substance is far mroe important than style.  But in the minors, if your substance is based on a style that isn't likely to improve, then your projected substance as you move up drops precipitously.

Yeah same here. I tend to favor guys with a good hit tool and good pitch recognition. It happens though. My bigger problem was trading for a rental RP. I guess we did the same with Miller last year but I think that's about as perfect result from one as you are going to get. KRod just wasn't worth that risk for me.
@JeremyMStrain

#47 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 28 January 2015 - 12:47 PM

I can get behind this move.  Snider has pop, draws walks, is entering the prime of his career and doesn't appear to be a defensive liability.  2.5 WAR last year ain't bad.

But I sure woulda liked to have added someone better.

#48 fishteacher

fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,880 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 28 January 2015 - 08:25 PM

You guys are all missing the point in this deal:

m2Jd9Rm.png

Sorry....had to pull the trigger!  ;-)

• DJ MC and Markus like this
I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

#49 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 28 January 2015 - 08:46 PM

You guys are all missing the point in this deal:

m2Jd9Rm.png

Sorry....had to pull the trigger!   :wink:

I was waiting for that. Took way too long.

• fishteacher likes this
@DJ_McCann

#50 Dr. FLK

Dr. FLK

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:29 AM

A look at this trade from the Pirates' perspective.

http://www.bucsdugou...is-snider-trade

#51 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,730 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:49 AM

A look at this trade from the Pirates' perspective.

http://www.bucsdugou...is-snider-trade

Charlie seems to want to wring his hands over nothing.

This isn't hard.  

1) They have Andrew Lambo (OPS > .900 last 3 years at AA/AAA) who is cost and service controlled to take Snider's spot.  

2) They save Snider's 2.1M and add a couple of decent prospects.

(Snider's hot second half probably saved this, but he was a one point mentioned as a non-tender candidate.)

He seems to want to be (in awe/troubled/confused) by the process of leveraging depth for now and later.

This says nothing about a team's willingness to compete.  If the Orioles trade Hunter and Matusz and Norris....it doesn't (shouldn't) have anything to do with a perceived willingness to compete. It has no impact on the Orioles ability to win in 2015 provided they trust their scouts and like players like Garcia and Verrett.

#52 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:10 AM

Charlie seems to want to wring his hands over nothing.

This isn't hard.  

1) They have Andrew Lambo (OPS > .900 last 3 years at AA/AAA) who is cost and service controlled to take Snider's spot.  

2) They save Snider's 2.1M and add a couple of decent prospects.

(Snider's hot second half probably saved this, but he was a one point mentioned as a non-tender candidate.)

He seems to want to be (in awe/troubled/confused) by the process of leveraging depth for now and later.

This says nothing about a team's willingness to compete.  If the Orioles trade Hunter and Matusz and Norris....it doesn't (shouldn't) have anything to do with a perceived willingness to compete. It has no impact on the Orioles ability to win in 2015 provided they trust their scouts and like players like Garcia and Verrett.

I didn't read anybody wringing his hands... I thought he did a good job of fleshing out both sides of it... and it's not like he was dissing the Pirates for the move, he spent most of the article justifying what they did and why they did it...

Plus, when it comes to hand-ringing over the immediate future (rather than considering both the upcoming season *and* the long term), isn't that exactly what more-than-a-few people around here were doing when they were having major fits back in Dec just because DD hadn't made some big deal moves?  What's the diff between this guy's concerns and what the big upset was here (prior to the DD calamity-a-thon)? 

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#53 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:54 AM

Camden Chat: Breaking down the Orioles trade for Travis Snider: Was it a good deal?

http://www.camdencha...on-and-analysis

#54 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 02:26 PM

I recall in the other thread reading that his OPS is near league worst on pitches over 94 mph. So...do they plan on pulling him out of every game between innings 7-9 when most teams bring in a flame thrower from the pen?
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#55 fishteacher

fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,880 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 29 January 2015 - 02:27 PM

This was ME reading that quick article.

1413812852_dog_with_human_hands_reading.

I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

#56 Dr. FLK

Dr. FLK

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 03:28 PM

What's the diff between this guy's concerns and what the big upset was here (prior to the DD calamity-a-thon)? 

The difference is that we didn't write it.

#57 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:08 PM

I recall in the other thread reading that his OPS is near league worst on pitches over 94 mph. So...do they plan on pulling him out of every game between innings 7-9 when most teams bring in a flame thrower from the pen?

Hey, they did bring him here to help replace Markakis.  Nick always seemed to struggle against the flame throwers as well.

It is a very interesting question, though.  I think that level of specificity in terms of splits is something Buck would be willing to take advantage of if it bears out that way again.  Splits not against chirality as much as style.  Will be something to watch for sure.

• RShack likes this

#58 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 07:31 PM

Hey, they did bring him here to help replace Markakis.  Nick always seemed to struggle against the flame throwers as well.

It is a very interesting question, though.  I think that level of specificity in terms of splits is something Buck would be willing to take advantage of if it bears out that way again.  Splits not against chirality as much as style.  Will be something to watch for sure.

Thanks to you, I just learned a new word: chirality.... had to look it up...

#59 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:39 PM

Thanks to you, I just learned a new word: chirality.... had to look it up...

Someone was blessed not to have taken organic chemistry.

#60 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 01:46 AM

Someone was blessed not to have taken organic chemistry.

Oh, I took it... about 100 years ago... I graduated from Loyola, but took this at what was then Towson State University... during the summer... hated every minute of it... it might have been good if I cared about it, but I didn't... my attitude was "please, God, gimme a B and I'm outta here...."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=