653 replies to this topic

#41 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:53 AM

I kind of feel the same way for this game as I did for the Pitt game. I think we've got a chance to keep it close and win it at the end due to our familiarity. But if we don't have good game plans we'll get blown out. 

I never expected going into the Pitt game with this OL that we'd look that good on offense, and be able to throw enough different looks at Ben on defense that he'd have to hold onto the ball too long to attack our secondary.

If Ben is getting confused by our looks...I can't wait to see what we do to Brady who is even less familiar. He hasn't looked very good against us in a game in years. And no LaFell and Edelman do not scare me. (I'd love to see a piece by some of the BSL writers about the varied looks and exotic blitzes Pees pulled out for this game and how they might have been varied or different from what we did in the regular season).

#42 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:38 PM

Ravens have to look at the tape from last year and figure out why NE bitched us.

NE will obviously try a similar game plan.

#43 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:47 PM

I kind of feel the same way for this game as I did for the Pitt game. I think we've got a chance to keep it close and win it at the end due to our familiarity. But if we don't have good game plans we'll get blown out. 

I never expected going into the Pitt game with this OL that we'd look that good on offense, and be able to throw enough different looks at Ben on defense that he'd have to hold onto the ball too long to attack our secondary.

If Ben is getting confused by our looks...I can't wait to see what we do to Brady who is even less familiar. He hasn't looked very good against us in a game in years. And no LaFell and Edelman do not scare me. (I'd love to see a piece by some of the BSL writers about the varied looks and exotic blitzes Pees pulled out for this game and how they might have been varied or different from what we did in the regular season).

You can be sure that the Patriots watched that game.
Roll Tide

#44 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:48 PM

Ravens have to look at the tape from last year and figure out why NE bitched us.

NE will obviously try a similar game plan.

This year's Ravens team is completely different than last year in pretty much every possible way. Flacco was hurt, the OL was a trainwreck, no running game at all, and no reliahle WRs to speak of. I think if NE plays the same gameplan and expects to win that is good for the Ravens.

• PrimeTime likes this
@gabefergy

#45 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,636 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:50 PM

Bill Simmons on ESPN Radio pissing me off as usual.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#46 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:54 PM

Bill Simmons on ESPN Radio pissing me off as usual.

He's scared.

@gabefergy

#47 esporter

esporter

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 03:56 PM

I can't wait for this game. It's a really interesting matchup on a lot of fronts.

I think this one hinges on whether we can get the running game going. Revis should basically eliminate either Smith Sr. or Torrey. Browner can play. Their safeties are good. I feel like the way you beat them is run the ball and attack those big, plodding linebackers off of play action. Really wish we had Pitta here, for that reason. But Owen and Gillmore have proved capable.

They won't be able to run on us. And as others have mentioned, they don't throw deep. The question is, can we make tackles in the short passing game and limit YAC? Mosley, Smith, and Hill are all playing really well right now. I can't wait to see Hill take on Gronk -- hopefully, that limits the damage. If we can keep the game close or even play with a small lead, I think the pass rush will start to get home late in this one.

I am taking the Ravens. Eff it. A low scoring affair ---- 20-17, with Doom sacking Brady to end a promising 2 minute drill and send the Pats packing.

wordsbyevanporter.com

@esporter

#48 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 04:44 PM

Browner has 15 defensive penalties to lead the league...he's played in 9 games. Don't think we aren't going to abuse that matchup. Torrey Smith has had 12 PI's for something like 289 yard so far this year. For all the hype in yards, the Pats passing defense was 17th in yards allowed a scant 9 yards per game better than the Ravens. 

Surprisingly the Pats are the 4th most penalized team in the game. Baltimore is a more pedestrian 15th. 

As for the final score, I see the Ravens scoring 24 or more points. It'll be interesting to me to see if the Pats try and slow it down or the keep the blur running and try and run a ton of snaps. They were 5th in the league in total snaps this year so it's obviously a priority for them. It doesn't necessarily mean the Ravens are going to have more possessions though, especially as many have talked about them not taking too many big chunk plays.

Also the starters haven't really played together now since Week 16 with the bye. And while they torched Miami, in the prior two games they only had 21 and 23 points against GB and SD not two stellar defenses by any stretch. I'd expect the Pats to be a little bit rusty off the bat too.

• JamesGallden likes this

#49 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 05:24 PM

Why doesn't Brady throw deep much?

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#50 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 January 2015 - 05:27 PM

Why doesn't Brady throw deep much?

No deep threat and diminished arm strength.
  • RShack likes this

#51 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 January 2015 - 12:13 AM

I haven't seen or heard anyone picking the Ravens...but I have heard plenty of people say that this isn't s great matchup for NE and that the Pats couldn't have been happy the Ravens won.

#52 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:00 AM

I haven't seen or heard anyone picking the Ravens...but I have heard plenty of people say that this isn't s great matchup for NE and that the Pats couldn't have been happy the Ravens won.

It's the glorious Patriots and with Gronk they are unbeatable, remember? Heck even after Bell went down barely anyone would take Baltimore against an overrated Pitt team. Why would they take the Ravens now?

#53 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:43 AM

Why you dont strictly use YPG as a tool. Of course, when the Pats are up as much as they are up in games they will give up some passing yards. Totally non effective and useless yards. 

Here is likely going to be the difference, Belichick in the other playoff games had to play straight up defense because he had very little on the back end. Couldnt give Joe a lot of different looks. Now, he'll definitely put Revis and Browner on islands at times and that opens up the ability to do a lot with his front 7. Blitz, drop into zones, etc,etc. If we cant effectively run the ball, and Im concerned that we wont, Joe is going to really struggle this game because Belichick will confuse him at the LOS. 

#54 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,694 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:45 AM

I feel like we need to score a couple of TD's early -- like we did in 2009. Put the pressure on them, take the crowd out of the game, and hold off their eventual comeback.

They're going to score 3 TD's by default. I think we need to score 30+ to win this game.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#55 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:50 AM

Here is likely going to be the difference, Belichick in the other playoff games had to play straight up defense because he had very little on the back end. Couldnt give Joe a lot of different looks. Now, he'll definitely put Revis and Browner on islands at times and that opens up the aility to do a lot with his front 7. Blitz, drop into zones, etc,etc. If we cant effectively run the ball, and Im concerned that we wont, Joe is going to really struggle this game because Belichick will confuse him at the LOS. 

This seems like pure conjecture based on speculation.

• JordanKough likes this

@fuzydunlop

#56 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 10:07 AM

Why you dont strictly use YPG as a tool. Of course, when the Pats are up as much as they are up in games they will give up some passing yards. Totally non effective and useless yards. 

Meh, I think this plays itself out. On one hand they are going to throw, on the other hand you know they are going to throw.

You could argue Denver has the same issue (with similar defensive talent) and they rank 9th against the pass and have a full 1.2 lower YPA than New England.

I think the Pats passing defense is a little bit more hyped than it should be. Not saying they aren't good, but I don't think they are elite by any stretch in that area.

#57 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 10:08 AM

Well you know if you could completely confuse Joe at the LOS just by playing man to man on the outside, why would you even need Revis and Browner? The confusion itself would be enough to mitigate it if Belicheck could get that into Flacco's head right?

I agree lots of assumptions in that post.

#58 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 06 January 2015 - 10:23 AM

Well you know if you could completely confuse Joe at the LOS just by playing man to man on the outside, why would you even need Revis and Browner? The confusion itself would be enough to mitigate it if Belicheck could get that into Flacco's head right?

I agree lots of assumptions in that post.

Also, doesn't Flacco struggle mightily against the cover-2 Bengals scheme?  If that were true, why run anything else against him?

@fuzydunlop

#59 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 10:26 AM

Belichick was able to do more of it last year when Joe played his worst career game against NE. You can argue the '09 playoff game was worse but we didn't need him to do anything in that game and he was very hurt. He struggles when you can disguise effectively. Thats not really surprising since that's when most Qbs will struggle. Belichick had to play straight up for most of our previous matchups. 

You know what, this isn't even that debatable. If we cant run the ball, and or fall behind double digits, Joe is going to have a bad game. He's not pulling an I'll put the team on my back like he did in '12. 

#60 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 06 January 2015 - 11:01 AM

Belichick was able to do more of it last year when Joe played his worst career game against NE. You can argue the '09 playoff game was worse but we didn't need him to do anything in that game and he was very hurt. He struggles when you can disguise effectively. Thats not really surprising since that's when most Qbs will struggle. Belichick had to play straight up for most of our previous matchups. 

You know what, this isn't even that debatable. If we cant run the ball, and or fall behind double digits, Joe is going to have a bad game. He's not pulling an I'll put the team on my back like he did in '12. 

Your first paragraph is all narrative and no substance.  Please, show me some film or quotes to back up what you are saying.  The second paragraph is just your opinion.  I'd agree that the chances of winning are very low if the run game isn't functional, but you have no idea what Flacco is going to do.  He's been the best playoff quarterback in the league since 2008, and by a good margin.

@fuzydunlop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=