653 replies to this topic

#21 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:10 PM

I don't follow the NFL closely, so please help me out here about something I don't understand...

Lotsa folks have been complaining for a while about how the Ravens secondary sucks... but now lotsa folks are talking like they can keep everything in front of them to prevent NE from having big strikes... this seems inconsistent to me... what don't I understand?  Is the only worry that Brady will 12-yard them to death, or what?  

(Not saying there isn't something I'm missing... just saying I don't know what it is...)

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#22 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:41 PM

I don't follow the NFL closely, so please help me out here about something I don't understand...

Lotsa folks have been complaining for a while about how the Ravens secondary sucks... but now lotsa folks are talking like they can keep everything in front of them to prevent NE from having big strikes... this seems inconsistent to me... what don't I understand?  Is the only worry that Brady will 12-yard them to death, or what?  

(Not saying there isn't something I'm missing... just saying I don't know what it is...)

Ravens secondary is good for at least 2 lapses in coverage a game. Our safeties have been a problem all season. Hill has come in and gotten better every week. And Melvin has been a diamond in the rough so far. That along with Webb getting back into form has got our secondary playing a lot better.

Part of why it's hard to go downfield on us is our ability to get to the QB. You can't really risk a 5 step drop against Doom, Suggs, Ngata, McPhee and Jernigan. Plus, that's not really NE's game. They'll nickel and dime us and go to the flats to Vereen. They won't give us a lot of time to get to Brady, so we'll have to make sure we play tight and tackle.
  • RShack likes this

#23 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:45 PM

NE is the first elite team we will have played all year. They are better than us. I also don't think we matchup as well with them as we used to. They have CBs now, and the last two times we met in the playoffs they didn't have Gronk or lost him during the game.

Can we win? Yeah, but I think we should all expect the better team to win.

#24 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:50 PM

Pats Pulpit: Patriots Playoffs: No Carryover From 2012 AFC Championship Game
http://www.patspulpi...ampionship-game

Pats Pulpit: Patriots Facing Ravens in Divisional Round
http://www.patspulpi...ivisional-round

Why even show up. I mean, they are clearly going to beat us by 30 points...

#25 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:50 PM

Yea, Monroe and Jernigan being back would be nice.

NE finished 4th in DVOA, Ravwns finished 5th.

Ravens were the only team in the NFL to finish in the top 10 in all 3 DVOA categories.

NE was next closest...2 in top 10 and defense was 11th.

#26 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:10 PM

Defense points Allowed

Ravens 5th 18.76

Patriots 8th 19.56

http://www.oddsshark...defensive-stats

Offense PPG

Patriots 4th 29.2

Ravens 8th 25.6

http://www.nfl.com/s...POINTS_GAME_AVG

I guess my point here is that the stats make it a pretty tight defensive game. Take into account what the Ravens gave up with all the secondary issue and I bet the stats would favor us outright.
Roll Tide

#27 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,636 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 04 January 2015 - 11:48 PM

Gotta pressure Brady. Win the t/o battle.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#28 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 January 2015 - 11:50 PM

Pees and Spags....arguably the 2 DC in the NFL that know how to beat Brady the best...and both are on our staff.
  • JordanKough likes this

#29 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 05 January 2015 - 01:09 AM

Lotsa folks have been complaining for a while about how the Ravens secondary sucks... but now lotsa folks are talking like they can keep everything in front of them to prevent NE from having big strikes... this seems inconsistent to me... what don't I understand? Is the only worry that Brady will 12-yard them to death, or what?

The Patriots don't really stretch the field vertically. Brady doesn't throw the ball deep and the receivers are not real threats to get behind the defense. They do much more damage in YAC. So, the Ravens who stop the run and pressure QBs very well could pose as a match-up problem for the Pats.
  • RShack likes this
@gabefergy

#30 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:11 AM

NE is the first elite team we will have played all year. They are better than us. I also don't think we matchup as well with them as we used to. They have CBs now, and the last two times we met in the playoffs they didn't have Gronk or lost him during the game.

Can we win? Yeah, but I think we should all expect the better team to win.

We know this team isn't good enough to win. But honestly we shouldn't have been good enough to beat Pittsburgh either. And we know you think this team isn't legit, you've made that fully clear. But I bet you 100% New England wishes it was Pitt coming up there to play this week and not Baltimore, though they'd never admit it. 

It's going to be a tough game, but somehow this team digs deep when it needs to. And we're playing with house money. Kubiak is going through a River Boat Ron like change if you ask me. I think he knows he needs to stop forcing what is working and taking what he sees defenses giving him. If it comes down to it and we get the stubborn coordinators that want to force whatever they were doing, they don't adjust and they don't challenge themselves then yeah, we're going to lose. We've all been saying it all year. Too vanilla, not enough adjustments, not smart usage of personnel. We didn't see any of that this week. The kind of play calling we saw in Pitt, if we had that all year we'd easily be 12-4 if you ask me.

When the Ravens come to ball like they did in Pitt...New England better be ready to take an early haymaker. Because I think Baltimore is going to come out and try and knock them out of their game early. Baltimore is just simply not afraid of Brady, Belicheck and the Patriots.

• clapdiddy likes this

#31 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:15 AM

Pees and Spags....arguably the 2 DC in the NFL that know how to beat Brady the best...and both are on our staff.

Also the defense is playing on fire right now. I don't care if it's been rookie quarterbacks or whatever. We all know QBs with time and space will be good and QBs under pressure and that are confused will not. Pees has found a combination or a way to get pressure home and maybe Spags and the 4 man rush has something to do with that.

#32 clapdiddy

clapdiddy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:18 AM

We know this team isn't good enough to win. But honestly we shouldn't have been good enough to beat Pittsburgh either. And we know you think this team isn't legit, you've made that fully clear. But I bet you 100% New England wishes it was Pitt coming up there to play this week and not Baltimore, though they'd never admit it. 

It's going to be a tough game, but somehow this team digs deep when it needs to. And we're playing with house money. Kubiak is going through a River Boat Ron like change if you ask me. I think he knows he needs to stop forcing what is working and taking what he sees defenses giving him. If it comes down to it and we get the stubborn coordinators that want to force whatever they were doing, they don't adjust and they don't challenge themselves then yeah, we're going to lose. We've all been saying it all year. Too vanilla, not enough adjustments, not smart usage of personnel. We didn't see any of that this week. The kind of play calling we saw in Pitt, if we had that all year we'd easily be 12-4 if you ask me.

When the Ravens come to ball like they did in Pitt...New England better be ready to take an early haymaker. Because I think Baltimore is going to come out and try and knock them out of their game early. Baltimore is just simply not afraid of Brady, Belicheck and the Patriots.

Thought about the part I put in bold here...

Do you think Harbaugh gives a little more leeway during the regular season to the game plan and then adds in more during the playoffs?   I realize we know Pittsburgh probably better than any other team, but it sure seemed as if we were incredibly prepared for this game on both sides of the ball.   I wonder how much Harbs had a role in that?

#33 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:58 AM

LOL. People are likely going to find out what happens to this team when they play an elite team for the first time this year. And then it'll be back to blaming Kubiak and Pees. 

Again, we have a chance. I agree that we arent intimidated by NE. Not any of it. Not Brady, not Belichick, not the aura. That said,  they are the better team. They weren't better than us in '11 or '12. They are this year. 

#34 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,373 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:06 AM

NE is one of the best 2-3 teams in the league right now, but they are not an elite team imo if you look past this year.

They should be favored at home, coming off the bye. The Ravens can win, but it would be an upset.  Beating them would not be shocking at all though.

#35 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:12 AM

They weren't better than us in '11 or '12. They are this year. 

I'm pretty sure this is the part that I don't agree with. We're they favored in both games? I'm too lazy to remember.

This Pats team isn't great. The thing is no one in the AFC is all that good right now, and so as a result the best are being over inflated in terms of how good they are.

I think they are better than us, but I also think they are only better by as much as they were in the Lee Evans game (The Epic's aptly calls it this).

#36 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:13 AM

And then it'll be back to blaming Kubiak and Pees. 

So you thought the playcalling in Pitt was the same as it has been in all our other games this year?

#37 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:36 AM

So you thought the playcalling in Pitt was the same as it has been in all our other games this year?

They ran some early and it worked ...later the run wasn't there and we did not try to force it.
Roll Tide

#38 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:47 AM

Reaction in New England about learning that the Ravens are coming...

Mood In New England After Drawing Ravens

What was the mood in New England upon learning the Patriots would face the Ravens in the postseason … once again?

CSN New England’s Tom E. Curran put it this way: Patriots fans had to be talked off the ledge.

“People are flat-out petrified up here,” Curran said in the video below. “Immediately by 11:30 p.m. when that game in Pittsburgh was secured, Patriots fans were lining up on the Tobin [bridge] to jump off.”

http://www.baltimore...cc-86cd74a4013f
Roll Tide

#39 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,694 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:41 AM

I love that we're in their heads. They know that we're the only team in the AFC that can come up there, punch them in the mouth, and throw them out of their own party. 

The one thing that works in our favor is that Brady doesn't throw deep that often, so if we can keep the receivers in front of the secondary and make tackles, we can play the bend don't break role and perhaps get a turnover or two...get to Brady a couple of times, get him thinking about how much he doesn't like to be hit. In fact, I think once you deliver a couple of shots to their offensive guys, get in their heads, they play scared.

I was surprised by how much the Steelers got the ball to Brown in space, instead of chucking it deep. He was able to juke his way to some yards, but for the most part, that worked in our favor. So if we can do the same thing in NE, I like our chances.

On offense, we need to run the ball -- keep the defense rested and Brady off the field. Control the clock.

I hate the term "playing with house money" in the playoffs -- because it assumes that a loss is OK, but I do believe that applies here in a way. We're the 6th seed, coming off a huge win over a rival, blood is pumping...it's time to play loose and just leave it on the field. The pressure is on them.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#40 KWebz

KWebz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 722 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:53 AM

The Patriots are vulnerable in the offense line in my opinion. Brady was sacked 5+ times against the Jets and obviously part of what makes him elite is his ability to look towards that 2nd, 3rd, or 4th read. Pressure him enough and the Ravens should be able to keep it close. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=