#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 09:11 AM

Boston Globe:  Connaughton a two sport star

http://www.bostonglo...zRtK/story.html

Pat Connaughton might not end up in the Orioles' minor league system after all. "So I think I’m going to give basketball a chance. I’m going to go at it as hard as I can these next few months at the collegiate level, but then after, we’ll see what happens. Based off what Coach [Mike Brey] has told me, and what I’ve heard from various scouts and stuff like that, I think there’s definitely a chance for me to take basketball to the next level. It's not a bad problem to have."

#3 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 February 2015 - 09:42 AM

That would be a blow to a weak farm system.

#4 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,137 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 11:03 AM

NBAdraft.net doesn't make any mention of him in the mock draft. Unless he's willing to play in the D League or overseas, I think he'll stick with baseball. 

I'd love for him to stay in the system. 

#5 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 11:26 AM

Dude loves basketball. That's something the Os have to know. Another indictment on DD.

#6 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 05:02 PM

Dude loves basketball. That's something the Os have to know. Another indictment on DD.

How is this an indictment on DD?
@BSLMikeRandall

#7 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:46 PM

From Roch:

Manager Buck Showalter said Pat Connaughton, the Orioles' fourth-round pick in the 2014 First-Year Player Draft who plays for the Notre Dame men's basketball team, has been throwing to stay sharp and get his arm ready for minor league camp.

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 10:08 AM

@pgammo

Favorite scout text/comp of day: Pat Connaughton to Jeff Samardzija

#9 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 March 2015 - 05:07 PM

@pgammo

Favorite scout text/comp of day: Pat Connaughton to Jeff Samardzija

Wonder if this is the same scout that FG used when they did the Os top 10. They said the same thing.

Please pick baseball.

#10 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 05:18 PM

It seems he's at least gonna try pro basketball first.

#11 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 March 2015 - 05:20 PM

It seems he's at least gonna try pro basketball first.

Don't know that is true..since he is still throwing.

I don't think we know for sure.

#12 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 21 March 2015 - 11:01 PM

I've never been much of a ND guy (I've always disliked the irrational credit they get/got in football), but I've watched them in the Tournament a little to check out Connaughton.

Good athlete I've enjoyed watching them compete today against Butler.

He's a nice college player, but I can't imagine he's got game for the next level in basketball.

At 6'5" he's just not big enough and there's no real phase of his game that would seem to give him a pro-basketball roll.  Could he be a hustle guy that makes the back of a roster...maybe....but there's a lot more pro-upside if he can develop in baseball.....he's not getting any taller.

Early in the telecast today they did briefly discuss his signing with the Orioles and they said he said his fastball is 'probably at 97 now'.

#13 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:39 PM

Steve Melewski ‏@masnSteve  2m

On WEEI Boston Pat Connaughton asked if he will report to O's this summer? "As of right now I'm not." But also did not rule it out.

Connaghton: "It's a unique opportunity 2 pursue another professional sport...want 2 make sure I at least cross that bridge b 4 I burn it."

2 minutes agoI know just about nothing when it comes to NBA

Thoughts on where he'd go in the draft? I know just about nothing when it comes to NCAA/NBA value. Assuming he's basing everything off where he'd (potentially) go in the draft and not opportunities overseas. 

I will say, I'm bummed. Hoping he ends up on the mound sometime this summer. 

#14 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:51 PM

Just to be clear, if this kid didnt play basketball for ND or if ND wasnt good enough to be in the tournament, only a handful, and most of us here wouldnt even know who Pat Connaughton is. Lets not pretend this is Dylan Bundy deciding he wants to play another sport instead.

No one is saying "Cant wait until the rotation is Tillman, Gausman, Bundy, Harvey, and Connaughton!"

If he has slightest bit of interest from NBA teams, he should absolutely go. Or he can live on host family couches in the bus leagues while waiting tables in the winter time for the one a million shot of pitching in the majors three-four years from now.
  • Mackus likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#15 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:05 PM

Just to be clear, if this kid didnt play basketball for ND or if ND wasnt good enough to be in the tournament, only a handful, and most of us here wouldnt even know who Pat Connaughton is. Lets not pretend this is Dylan Bundy deciding he wants to play another sport instead.

No one is saying "Cant wait until the rotation is Tillman, Gausman, Bundy, Harvey, and Connaughton!"

If he has slightest bit of interest from NBA teams, he should absolutely go. Or he can live on host family couches in the bus leagues while waiting tables in the winter time for the one a million shot of pitching in the majors three-four years from now.

I think we'd have all heard about him, considering he was the O's 4th round pick (and 2nd overall) last year. To be fair, I want anybody with an ounce of potential to stay in the O's system. There's clearly some potential there with Connaughton - based off scouting reports before the draft, and after his season with the IronBirds. Weren't there initial reports that he could have/would have gone higher in the draft if it wasn't for his (potential) commitment to basketball? But I'm not (nor are others) calling him a Bundy/Gausman talent, as far as I'm concerned.

Would I fault him if he pursues basketball? Not at all. Would I prefer for him to stay with the O's and develop? You betcha. 

• BobPhelan, Mike in STL and Il BuonO like this

#16 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:54 PM

Thoughts on where he'd go in the draft? I know just about nothing when it comes to NCAA/NBA value. Assuming he's basing everything off where he'd (potentially) go in the draft and not opportunities overseas. 

I will say, I'm bummed. Hoping he ends up on the mound sometime this summer. 

Draft Express has him as the #57 ranked Senior in the country. So, figure with other college players plus European players that he's somewhere around 90 or so. Figure that means the best chance he has of getting drafted is if the NBA decides to add a third round (and even then it's questionable).

Then again, Chad Ford doesn't have him on his top #100 board. So, Draft Express is high on him.

He has a shot of making it on a team as an undrafted rookie. But I doubt he's getting drafted.

#17 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:14 PM

How does eligibility work with players getting drafted, and signed, in other sports?

The O's gave Connaughton a $428k signing bonus last year.  Is that just not a factor at all for his basketball eligibility?  Obviously he remained eligible, so did he not accept the O's money?  Did he take it and it doesn't matter because it's a different sport?

Anyways, I hope he decides to play baseball.  I really enjoyed watching him play this year in basketball, though.  If he thinks he can make an NBA roster, then give it a go.  Would make sense to pick the NBA over minor league baseball.  But I don't think it makes as much sense for him to pick international basketball over minor league baseball.

• BobPhelan likes this

#18 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:17 PM

I think we'd have all heard about him, considering he was the O's 4th round pick (and 2nd overall) last year.

Without looking it up, who was the 5th round pick last year?  Who was the 4th round pick in 2013?  2012?  I think I could name one of those 3 players.

We'd have heard his name for sure when we talked about the draft, but nobody outside of the 1st or 2nd round continues to get talked about until they are making an impact in the minors and showing promise.  Without that having occurred, most fans, including those fans like us who actually follow this sort of stuff to an extent, would know who he is.

#19 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:29 PM

Without looking it up, who was the 5th round pick last year?  Who was the 4th round pick in 2013?  2012?  I think I could name one of those 3 players.

We'd have heard his name for sure when we talked about the draft, but nobody outside of the 1st or 2nd round continues to get talked about until they are making an impact in the minors and showing promise.  Without that having occurred, most fans, including those fans like us who actually follow this sort of stuff to an extent, would know who he is.

I think it's somewhat different, just because he was the Orioles 2nd overall pick last year. I definitely understand what you're saying though and under normal circumstances (having 1st and 2nd round picks PLUS no basketball), I'd agree with you. Being the second overall pick by the O's in the 2014 draft changes things, in my mind. 

But really - without looking it up. Either David Hess or Tanner Scott; I know they went back-to-back. Going back we've got Jonah Heim (think Tarpley was 3rd rd) and before that, Christian Walker. Wasn't Kyle Simon (traded with Lino for Thome) a 4th round pick? To be fair, I read up on the system a lot and follow along with their progress. 

• Mackus likes this

#20 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:30 PM

Walker's the one I could name. 

• Coker likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users