#361 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,512 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:43 PM

Hate to say it, but the Yankees made a nice pick just now at the end of Round 5, get ROb Refsnyder from U. of Arizona. They kid can rake.

Then don't. Eff the MFY's!

I kid. Great work today on all the info. Really appreciate it.

#362 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:07 PM

Dammit, Twins just took Mazzilli. I was keeping hope alive we'd get him in the 9th.

Now I'm hoping for Reckling or Johansen.

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak

#363 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:12 PM

9th rounder: RHP Brady Wager, Grand Canyon College

Honestly, I don't know a thing about this guy. I think we're rapidly getting to the point where we're beyond my comfort zone in my research.

I tend to know the top 100-150 college guys and the top 100 or so high school and juco guys. We're at pick 285 or so now, which is really stretching my research.

I'm going to continue tracking the rest of the 9th and 10th rounds tonight, but I doubt that I'll be all that active tomorrow now that we're this far along.

-Walter Sobchak

#364 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:16 PM

I don't have the slightest clue who these guys are beyond Gausman, but they seem to fit the profile of slot to below-slot guys aside from the high school kids. I do wonder if they're gearing up to take a shot at a big overslot guy, but I don't know what their budget would allow for. Guess a lot depends on what they plan on giving Gausman.
@BSLLukeJackson

#365 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:22 PM

I don't have the slightest clue who these guys are beyond Gausman, but they seem to fit the profile of slot to below-slot guys aside from the high school kids. I do wonder if they're gearing up to take a shot at a big overslot guy, but I don't know what their budget would allow for. Guess a lot depends on what they plan on giving Gausman.

Jameis Winston!!!!! (Just Kidding)
@JeffLongBP

#366 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:25 PM

Really like the way the White Sox have picked the past couple rounds. Zach Isler and Micah Johnson. Both midwest guys, both good college players.

I also like the A's picks in rounds 6-9. And I like the Astros, Nationals, Reds, and Dodgers drafts.

-Walter Sobchak

#367 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:47 PM

10th rounder: Joel Hutter, SS, Dallas Baptist

SG should like this, as it's an improvement on a prior pick. Whereas Poche was Callis's 99th best player from Texas, Hutter is #84 on Callis's list. :)

He's a decent hitter for a decent program. I don't know too much more about him.

I'd have preferred Johansen if we were going to take a player from Dallas Baptist.

-Walter Sobchak

#368 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:26 PM

Day 2 is over. I'm hoping the O's take one of the following four college guys still out there in Round 11 tomorrow:

Jake Johansen, RHP, Dallas Baptist
Matt Reckling, RHP, Rice
Raph Rhymes, OF, LSU
Buck Farmer, RHP, Georgia Tech

-Walter Sobchak

#369 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:29 PM

FWIW - buddy of mine played with the Red Sox 8th round pick this year at Shepard. Says he crushes the ball... 1B/DH type.
@JeffLongBP

#370 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:48 PM

FWIW - buddy of mine played with the Red Sox 8th round pick this year at Shepard. Says he crushes the ball... 1B/DH type.

Yeah, he does crush the ball. He went to my HS in PA. Couple years younger than me, but I played against him some in Little league (might become my new claim to fame).

Stocky kid, out of this world power. From what I had always heard, he could have played at a bigger D1 school but preferred to stay relatively close to home.

I'll be very interested to follow his ML career.

@AdamWolff

#371 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:58 PM

Yeah, he does crush the ball. He went to my HS in PA. Couple years younger than me, but I played against him some in Little league (might become my new claim to fame).

Stocky kid, out of this world power. From what I had always heard, he could have played at a bigger D1 school but preferred to stay relatively close to home.

Yeah, I'm told he had D1 offers but turned them down. Won the Tino Martinez award recently for best DII player or something like that. It would be interesting to see what he signs for & where he plays
@JeffLongBP

#372 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:53 PM

Interested to hear from Stotle about which players he thinks were legit picks based on talent and which ones were signability-the-deal's-basically-done-already type of picks. Also interested to hear who the O's might take a shot in the dark at on Wednesday, seeing that there seem to be some quality players who've slipped.
@BSLLukeJackson

#373 Stotle

Stotle

2080 Baseball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:59 AM

Interested to hear from Stotle about which players he thinks were legit picks based on talent and which ones were signability-the-deal's-basically-done-already type of picks. Also interested to hear who the O's might take a shot in the dark at on Wednesday, seeing that there seem to be some quality players who've slipped.

Wrote some thoughts on picks 2-10 here: http://camdendepot.b... ... hadow.html

None jumped out as "easy" signs outside of Price and the kid from Dallas Baptist. That's not to say Baltimore doesn't have a belief/knowledge they are going to save some money on some of these kids, but it looked like a fairly traditional draft approach. I would have taken a slightly more aggressive approach up top, and gone signable and super cheap in the late single-digits (mostly because that was the best way I could figure to try and leverage Baltimore's signing allotment).
@NickJFaleris

#374 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:25 PM

FWIW, Bleacher Report has us listed as one of the Day 2 "winners."

http://bleacherrepor...he-draft/page/4
@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#375 Tyler Bingaman

Tyler Bingaman
  • Members
  • 332 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:43 PM

I watched him hit balls over my head from center field a few times as a teen! Go Waynesboro.
@bings012

#376 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:21 AM

This site lists the agents for everyone selected in the 1st and supplemental 1st round. Scott Boras represents Albert Almora and Mark Appel, among others.

http://www.sportsage... ... yers-list/

#377 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:26 AM

Gavin Cecchine signs with the Mets for 2.3M, or 250K under slot.

#378 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:44 PM

Just read through this entire thread...GREAT WORK GUYS!!

Kudos to all for keeping the uninformed very informed.
@beginthebegin71

#379 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:14 AM

I know there are many critics of the new format -- takes away the two sport stars, players already aren't making too much (relatively speaking) and limits them more, etc. One thing I do like however about the system is the quick signings and getting the players into the systems. It was a smart decision for MLB up the signing date to begin with since it became like procrasinating on a long-term school assignment, no matter what some people will always hold out until the last possible second.
@levineps

#380 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:15 PM

So I said for the draft this year I suspected Giolito would have to have TJ surgery, but I would take him, give it to him right away and get him back asap.

He threw 2 innings, lost velo and is on his way to see Yocum now.
@JeremyMStrain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=