#81 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:38 PM

Mike Leach and Mack Brown are 2 names that I think make a lot of sense, especially Mike Leach. He has the UA relationship, has done a decent job at Washington State but it's a much tougher job than he originally thought...this is MD's chance to right a wrong. Would have many more resources here and a much better opportunity to be successful. He'd be #1 on my list. I also think Leach is one of the few guys out there that MAY NOT use MD as a stepping zone. Because they always will be IMO, which isn't the worst thing in the world because that means the team would be successful...but it's always preferably to find a long-term guy. 

Mack Brown is obviously a little older but if you really think MD can really rise in the next few years, he'd be a nice 5 year option if he wants to coach again. He was said to be considering SMU, so could possibly be an option.

Then it comes down to, how much does the new facility and Big 10 move really change the perception of MD? I like to look around at other conferences, and pick a team that you think MD is viewed similarly to; and has that changed in the past 10 months with the Big 10 move and Cole?

Can we be the Arizona of the Pac 10, that a guy like Rich Rodriguez would want to go to? Or we are more of a Wake Forest?

How do we get a guy like Will Muschamp or Kirby Smart or Lane Kiffin to consider MD? Think to yourself...what is the next job Lane Kiffin will have? And how does that program stack up to MD? If Virginia offered Lane Kiffin the job, would he go there? And how do they compare to MD right now? 

Neither is I think too realistic. Given how Leach was basically told it was his job than it was taken away from him. I don't think Brown would come here, although he did previously coach UNC (would be more realistic if they were still in the ACC). I don't see Mack Brown comes here having to wait until the practice facility is built.

The other ones are more realistic, but those coaches can still be more picky/choosy with what head coaches jobs to accept.

@levineps

#82 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:40 PM

Just perusing the web for potential HC hires, there are a number of hot coordinators and current HC's out there that might be fits, but I wasn't looking to spin any particular names. Regardless, here are some I came across:

Alabama's Kirby Smart and Michigan State's Pat Narduzzi are hot coordinators.
Gary Patterson of TCU and Todd Graham of Arizona State are potential candidates. Jim McElwain of Colorado State is a former Nick Saban disciple and has built Colorado State into a strong mid-major success.

It's hard to say with any conviction at this point who that guy could be, but I feel that it's better to act now than wait and fire Edsall another year or two closer to our renovations.

Zack: A new colleague of mine (a Terps "insider" I'd say) also mentioned Brian Stewart as one possible candidate.

Don't think so, agree with the rest of the names you threw out.

• Greg Pappas likes this
@levineps

#83 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:42 PM

I agree with you on most things, but I'd be wary of Leach. I want a dynamic leader with no prior issues.

I don't really want Leach, at least not now....he'd be more inclined to start all over rather than keep the momentum going, I think. But as for his issues, I tend to believe it was mostly concocted by a few people that had an axe to grind with him.

Pretty sure that ship has sailed on both ends.

• Greg Pappas likes this
@levineps

#84 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:43 PM

I can't see Leach having success here because of that offense. It may work in the Big 12 and maybe even the Pac-12, but it can't work in the Big Ten. You can't go throwing the ball 65-70 times a game and hope to have success. There's a reason why no Air Raid team has ever come close to winning the National Championship. It puts up flashy numbers, but has a lot of trouble in the red zone and closing out games because the running game gets absolutely no focus. His Air Raid counterparts in bigger conferences (Kentucky, Indiana, Texas A&M) have completely balanced offenses. Leach is unwilling to run the ball.

Mack Brown is simply too old. You'd basically be bridging the gap between him and someone else, so why bother?

Someone said Gary Patterson and Todd Graham. No way in hell are they coming here. Kirby Smart and Pat Narduzzi? They'll go to bigger programs.

Agreed... the last two names, I could see them using UMD as a stepping stone.

@levineps

#85 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,486 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:51 PM

Scott Frost is a name worth keeping an eye on. I'm sure he has designs on the Nebraska HC job someday, but I don't necessarily think a coach that comes to MD with bigger things in mind is a bad thing. As an offensive mind, he's definitely got the resume you want.
  • Greg Pappas likes this

#86 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:58 PM

I don't know what "clean enough" means, but Leach doesn't look bad at all compared to some guys out there who have jobs (see: Petrino, Bobby).

Guys like that don't have jobs at MD...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#87 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:59 PM

Scott Frost is a name worth keeping an eye on. I'm sure he has designs on the Nebraska HC job someday, but I don't necessarily think a coach that comes to MD with bigger things in mind is a bad thing. As an offensive mind, he's definitely got the resume you want.

I don't either, I've had changed my position on this. Ideally speaking you don't want someone using this as a "stepping stone" but that shouldn't be the be-all, end-all. Yes, if you have two equal candidates, I would hire the one who is more likely going to be here in 5-10 years. Besides, who knows, if a coach has a lot of success here, maybe they'll change their philosophy on the MD job. Bobby Bowden has said that his goal was to be the coach of Alabama or another major SEC program, but all the success changed his mind.

@levineps

#88 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 03:04 PM

Agreed... the last two names, I could see them using UMD as a stepping stone.

Maryland is not a destination job at this point, unless it's a very unique situation. 

@PeterDiLutis

#89 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,486 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 03:04 PM

I don't either, I've had changed my position on this. Ideally speaking you don't want someone using this as a "stepping stone" but that shouldn't be the be-all, end-all. Yes, if you have two equal candidates, I would hire the one who is more likely going to be here in 5-10 years. Besides, who knows, if a coach has a lot of success here, maybe they'll change their philosophy on the MD job. Bobby Bowden has said that his goal was to be the coach of Alabama or another major SEC program, but all the success changed his mind.

Like they say, success breeds success. Whether a guy end up like Bowden, and UM grows into his dream job, or he moves on but leaves the job attractive enough that you have a good list of candidates to choose from....it's a win-win as long as you have a smart AD (and therein lies the rub).

#90 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 November 2014 - 03:42 PM

Maryland is not a destination job at this point, unless it's a very unique situation. 

Like Fridge but neither are most jobs, there's very few "dream jobs" in this world.

@levineps

#91 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 26 November 2014 - 03:45 PM

Mack Brown is simply too old. You'd basically be bridging the gap between him and someone else, so why bother?

Well, if someone is of the opinion that this is pretty much the ceiling for an Edsall-coached team (which you of course don't believe), bringing in someone who can push MD over the top while also planning for an eventual transfer of power might make sense.

@DJ_McCann

#92 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,486 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 03:51 PM

Well, if someone is of the opinion that this is pretty much the ceiling for an Edsall-coached team (which you of course don't believe), bringing in someone who can push MD over the top while also planning for an eventual transfer of power might make sense.

You do want to be careful there, with regards to a de facto coach-in-waiting scenario (I think the NCAA did away with them contractually speaking). If it's a guy the HC picks and grooms for the job, maybe....but even then that can be a touchy situation that backfires.

#93 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,936 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 03:52 PM

I don't trust Edsall to do much positive over the next several years, but I also don't trust Anderson to make a good hire if we get rid of Edsall.  Catch-22 of sorts.

• Greg Pappas likes this

#94 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,279 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 03:56 PM

As long as MD wins Saturday, the idea of replacing Edsall becomes a non-discussion point for at-least a year.

Looking at the schedule for next year and who is coming back (even with the Front 7 defensive losses); a year similar to this one seems likely. Maybe even slightly better.

#95 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 November 2014 - 04:29 PM

As long as MD wins Saturday, the idea of replacing Edsall becomes a non-discussion point for at-least a year.

Looking at the schedule for next year and who is coming back (even with the Front 7 defensive losses); a year similar to this one seems likely. Maybe even slightly better.

You're likely right. Sad, but true. Ah well... 

#96 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 26 November 2014 - 04:49 PM

You do want to be careful there, with regards to a de facto coach-in-waiting scenario (I think the NCAA did away with them contractually speaking). If it's a guy the HC picks and grooms for the job, maybe....but even then that can be a touchy situation that backfires.

Oh, I'm not talking a James Franklin situation. Just having coaches developing into guys who can take over, and guys behind them if they decide to go elsewhere first or instead.

@DJ_McCann

#97 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:19 PM

Agreed. Defensively, it's a similar situation to the 2013 season. They lost Joe Vellano, A.J. Francis, Demetrius Hartsfield, Darin Drakeford, and Kenny Tate. Difference is that they now have the depth behind Darius Kilgo, Andre Monroe, Keith Bowers, Cole Farrand, L.A. Goree, Matt Robinson, and Yannik Cudjoe-Virgil to rebound. The strength of next season's team will be the defensive backfield. Sean Davis and William Likely will only get better, and Anthony Nixon will be a solid senior free safety.

Plus Brian Stewart has shown that his defenses can have success no matter who is playing. He knows how to get the most out of his guys (Alvin Hill anyone?).

@BSLZackKiesel

#98 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 November 2014 - 06:39 PM

Agreed. Defensively, it's a similar situation to the 2013 season. They lost Joe Vellano, A.J. Francis, Demetrius Hartsfield, Darin Drakeford, and Kenny Tate. Difference is that they now have the depth behind Darius Kilgo, Andre Monroe, Keith Bowers, Cole Farrand, L.A. Goree, Matt Robinson, and Yannik Cudjoe-Virgil to rebound. The strength of next season's team will be the defensive backfield. Sean Davis and William Likely will only get better, and Anthony Nixon will be a solid senior free safety.

Plus Brian Stewart has shown that his defenses can have success no matter who is playing. He knows how to get the most out of his guys (Alvin Hill anyone?).

Zack, what are you thoughts on Aniebonam for 2015- at least as you see things now? Top recruits like him usually see the field pretty regularly by their second year... are you expecting big things for him next year, or might you expect us to wait until 2016?

#99 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,279 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 07:04 PM

Zack, what are you thoughts on Aniebonam for 2015- at least as you see things now? Top recruits like him usually see the field pretty regularly by their second year... are you expecting big things for him next year, or might you expect us to wait until 2016?

Greg, Zack had some thoughts on the 2015 depth chart (including Aniebonam) here:

http://www.baltimore...15-depth-chart/

• Greg Pappas likes this

#100 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 29 November 2014 - 07:05 PM

If Anderson even has a shred of testicular fortitude he'll get rid of o'le Randy.
  • Greg Pappas and BaltBird 24 like this

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=