#121 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 31 December 2014 - 04:10 PM

I have no particular opinion about Edsall... don't get to watch MD where I am... 

Basic question: If a guy is brought in to rebuild a crappy program that has zero reputation to build on, and to do that from the ground up, how much time do you give him to do that?  What's the yardstick?  

Personally, I don't see how this year's performance matters much at all, but maybe I'm missing something...

You ask fair questions...

Edsall replaced Friedgen, who had achieved quite a bit at the helm; so, they were not a "crappy program". Granted, not top-notch by any stretch of the imagination. Edsall, however, has blundered off the field (see Danny O'Brien, interviews) and on the field (see nationally embarrassing non-hand-shaking incident along with serious concerns about his ability to manage a game). His teams are often ill-prepared and his staff has real difficulties in making in-game adjustments. The issue is that many fans view Edsall's credentials and see him as someone unable to build the program to where it needs to be. Typically one wants a HC to have 4 or more years to get it done, which he has now had (4). 

#122 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,712 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 31 December 2014 - 04:20 PM

Edsall replaced Friedgen, who had achieved quite a bit at the helm; so, they were not a "crappy program". Granted, not top-notch by any stretch of the imagination. Edsall, however, has blundered off the field (see Danny O'Brien, interviews) and on the field (see nationally embarrassing non-hand-shaking incident along with serious concerns about his ability to manage a game). His teams are often ill-prepared and his staff has real difficulties in making in-game adjustments. The issue is that many fans view Edsall's credentials and see him as someone unable to build the program to where it needs to be. Typically one wants a HC to have 4 or more years to get it done, which he has now had (4). 

This is very debatable. Especially when you consider his greatest years were early with another guy's recruits. Fridge did very little to advance the stature of the program IMO. People dislike Edsall because they're oddly loyal to Fridge.
  • Russ and 1970 like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#123 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 04:27 PM

Typically one wants a HC to have 4 or more years to get it done, which he has now had (4). 

I didn't realize he'd had that much time already...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#124 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 04:29 PM

This is very debatable. Especially when you consider his greatest years were early with another guy's recruits. Fridge did very little to advance the stature of the program IMO. 

Super-obese guys can't recruit... nobody who's kid is a super-talent wants to trust the kid's future to somebody who's blubber takes up the whole couch...

• Russ likes this

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#125 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 31 December 2014 - 04:31 PM

People dislike Edsall because they're oddly loyal to Fridge.

That's like saying people disliked Andy McPhail because they were oddly loyal to Jim Duquette. It's a statement that shows little understanding of why people have a problem with Edsall, and only meant to casually dismiss those issues with a wave of derision.

@DJ_McCann

#126 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 04:43 PM

Plus, Edsall's entire reputation rests on his performance taking UConn from absolutely nothing and making them first competitive and then a champion in their conference. There are two big problems with that, though.

1) The Big East had some good programs that often had good years. But, they were easily the worst of the six "big" conferences, and during the time UConn was a member were almost always in flux with programs entering and leaving, allowing for lesser schools to pop up for a year or two (see: USF, Cincinnati, etc.).

2) UConn's peak as a program was no better than Maryland's normal level. Not in wins, just in general national prestige. So there's no natural reason to think that he's a good enough coach to take a team already at that same level and get them moving up.

Also, the biggest knock against Freidgen is also his biggest strength as a coach: he could coach guys up. He did that with Vanderlinden's recruits, and he did that with his own guys, no matter their actual recruiting ranking. He had problems as a game coach himself, even with his reputation as an offensive playcaller going back through the pros in San Diego and college at GT and Maryland. But he rarely had his teams unprepared, and got the most out of his talent.

Edsall has never shown that ability, and again there's no reason to think he'll start.

@DJ_McCann

#127 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,712 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 04:50 PM

Super-obese guys can't recruit... nobody who's kid is a super-talent wants to trust the kid's future to somebody who's blubber takes up the whole couch...

Are you making a joke here? Aren't a lot of former football players big guys?

@bopper33

#128 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,712 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 04:51 PM

That's like saying people disliked Andy McPhail because they were oddly loyal to Jim Duquette. It's a statement that shows little understanding of why people have a problem with Edsall, and only meant to casually dismiss those issues with a wave of derision.

Nope. Edsall was playing from behind the second he was hired. Why do you think that is?

@bopper33

#129 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 05:01 PM

Nope. Edsall was playing from behind the second he was hired. Why do you think that is?

Same reason the Broncos were playing behind from the first snap of the Super Bowl.

When you screw up at the start, you put yourself in a whole. Blaming the predecessor (which he did, if you'll recall) doesn't help.

@DJ_McCann

#130 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,712 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 05:07 PM

Why not? It's not like Fridge left him a great situation. Again, people are loyal to Fridge because he was there a long time and is an alum. It's not the only reason people dislike Edsall, far from it, but it was a huge reason why his hiring was almost immediately disliked.

@bopper33

#131 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 31 December 2014 - 05:11 PM

Why not? It's not like Fridge left him a great situation. Again, people are loyal to Fridge because he was there a long time and is an alum. It's not the only reason people dislike Edsall, far from it, but it was a huge reason why his hiring was almost immediately disliked.

I liked Fridge, but was calling for a new regime when Edsall was hired. I was furious that they chose Edsall (still am obviously LOL), but am not loyal to Fridge. Not saying that you said I was... just wanted to be clear.

#132 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 31 December 2014 - 05:13 PM

This is very debatable. Especially when you consider his greatest years were early with another guy's recruits. Fridge did very little to advance the stature of the program IMO. People dislike Edsall because they're oddly loyal to Fridge.

Who are you talking about here? I haven't heard anyone here say it wasn't time for Fridge to go (though I disagree with your assessment of his overall tenure). Other than maybe during that first season following the transition, this has never been an Edsall vs Friedgen debate. Edsall is being judged on his own merits now (or lack thereof).

#133 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 31 December 2014 - 05:13 PM

Agreed... it's debatable. 

#134 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 05:24 PM

Are you making a joke here? Aren't a lot of former football players big guys?

No, I'm serious. Sure, there are former players who were muscle-bound but had it turn to flab later on.... but a big guy with flab is way different than being super-obese like Fridge or Charlie Weiss... they have rolls and rolls of fat and can't even fit in a normal chair... their pants are the size of parachutes. That's gotta make an absolutely terrible impression, one that saps the confidence of recruits and their families, especially when the arena is about physical excellence. If the coach can't even take care of himself, why would you trust your star kid to him? Hell, he might drop dead right there in your living room.

I'm not saying the recruits or their parents even have that thought consciously... but I bet it has a huge impact anyway...

I like Fridge and was bummed when he left GT... his offenses were great fun to watch, and he did a lot there in a program that never can get top recruits. But as a HC he was doomed.

#135 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,712 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 05:43 PM

Who are you talking about here? I haven't heard anyone here say it wasn't time for Fridge to go (though I disagree with your assessment of his overall tenure). Other than maybe during that first season following the transition, this has never been an Edsall vs Friedgen debate. Edsall is being judged on his own merits now (or lack thereof).

This is nuts. Maybe not on BSL, but plenty of people were upset that KA was hired and canned Fridge after a winning season and bowl victory.

@bopper33

#136 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 05:54 PM

This is nuts. Maybe not on BSL, but plenty of people were upset that KA was hired and canned Fridge after a winning season and bowl victory.

So, you're saying I'm right....no one here is trying to make this an Edsall vs Friedgen debate. Well, that's a start.

#137 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 06:25 PM

As has been mentioned, the majority, if not most, of the fans/boosters/etc., even if they liked Freidgen, were ready for a change.

Anderson couldn't have handled the firing any worse if he had made the announcement at the Military Bowl trophy presentation. Then a coaching search turned up a retread who was at least interesting in Leach and a likely Peter Principle candidate in Edsall. Then he chose the latter.

Then Edsall came in and immediately started publicly blaming the popular former coach. If Stoner left BSL and the RSR people hired a new guy who came in and started making posts blaming Chris for what he felt was wrong, how many friends is he going to win, whether or not he's right?

Then Edsall firebombs the foundation, goes into a full rebuild, and when he has reasonable health and his recruits and the visibility of a new conference after four seasons, he's only right back where the team has been before. No good wins. Two mediocre bowl appearances and losses. Blown out by every quality team--despite all the smoke being blown about being "competitive" versus Michigan State, they still lost by three TDs.

He's done nothing. Right now nationally Maryland is that team that acts like an Oregon poseur and got sued when they tried to leave the conference they helped found. Neither of which has anything to do with Randy Edsall. So if you're saying that Freidgen did a lousy job, there is no defense for Edsall, either.

@DJ_McCann

#138 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,712 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 06:35 PM

So, you're saying I'm right....no one here is trying to make this an Edsall vs Friedgen debate. Well, that's a start.

Ok but the debate about Edsall extends beyond the posters here. You get that right?

@bopper33

#139 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 06:37 PM

Ok but the debate about Edsall extends beyond the posters here. You get that right?

Pfff...screw 'em :)

• Pedro Cerrano likes this
@DJ_McCann

#140 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 06:41 PM

Living in Oregon, this is the only place I can engage in a debate about MD Football with people who even have a clue that MD plays the sport. If there's people back there who didn't, and still don't, think it was time to move on from Fridge, I'd certainly disagree with them.

• Greg Pappas likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=