409 replies to this topic

#61 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,973 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:26 PM

8-4 in the first year in the Big 10.  Finally winning with his recruits (after having a bad season with historically bad injuries and the former coach's recruits), about to go to two straight bowl games including a pretty reputable one this year.  Coaching a program that is historically mediocre.  And people can't run him out of town fast enough because he replaced a mediocre coach who was doing nothing to actually advance the program and because he made a few gaffs while speaking to the media when he first arrived.

Tough freakin' crowd.

This is clearly his best year, but it's a pretty weak schedule this year.  If Edsall supporters are giving him a pass on the last two years because of injuries, then you have to similarly discount the positive record this year due to the mediocrity of the teams we've beaten.  We beat Iowa, Michigan, Penn State, Indiana, and (presumably) Rutgers.  Iowa was a really nice win.  Michigan is 5-6 overall and will go 3-5 in conference and won't make a bowl game unless they win at Ohio State.  Penn State is 6-5 overall but will fall to 2-6 in conference unless they beat MSU.  It's nice beating both of those historically great names on the road, but neither is a good team this year.  Indiana is winless in conference, 0-7.  Rutgers beat Indiana and Michigan, but unless we lose to them they'll also be 2-6 in conference.

We beat teams we should have beaten.  He's gotten us to the point where we should be at least a middle of the pack team, basically where the program was before he took over and inexplicably broke us down into a joke.  So we beat all of the bottom dwellers.  We got absolutely pasted by good teams.  Outscored 141-46 against OSU, MSU, and Wisconsin.

They've done a decent job this year, but finally being halfway decent in your 4th year isn't a good job overall.  He only "deserves" an extension in the sense that perhaps he doesn't deserve to be fired right now, and you have to give him an extension to avoid lame duck recruiting.  If that recruiting aspect wasn't a factor, under no circumstance could anybody sanely argue that he deserves an extension.

• Greg Pappas and DJ MC like this

#62 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,492 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:39 PM

As far as the injury excuses, 2012 is the only season that applies to me. If you're starting a LB at QB for four games, you certainly get a pass. But that's it. Plenty of teams lose a couple of their best players over the course of a season. You're still accountable for results.

#63 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,288 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:52 PM

This is clearly his best year, but it's a pretty weak schedule this year.  If Edsall supporters are giving him a pass on the last two years because of injuries, then you have to similarly discount the positive record this year due to the mediocrity of the teams we've beaten.  We beat Iowa, Michigan, Penn State, Indiana, and (presumably) Rutgers.  Iowa was a really nice win.  Michigan is 5-6 overall and will go 3-5 in conference and won't make a bowl game unless they win at Ohio State.  Penn State is 6-5 overall but will fall to 2-6 in conference unless they beat MSU.  It's nice beating both of those historically great names on the road, but neither is a good team this year.  Indiana is winless in conference, 0-7.  Rutgers beat Indiana and Michigan, but unless we lose to them they'll also be 2-6 in conference.

We beat teams we should have beaten.  He's gotten us to the point where we should be at least a middle of the pack team, basically where the program was before he took over and inexplicably broke us down into a joke.  So we beat all of the bottom dwellers.  We got absolutely pasted by good teams.  Outscored 141-46 against OSU, MSU, and Wisconsin.

They've done a decent job this year, but finally being halfway decent in your 4th year isn't a good job overall.  He only "deserves" an extension in the sense that perhaps he doesn't deserve to be fired right now, and you have to give him an extension to avoid lame duck recruiting.  If that recruiting aspect wasn't a factor, under no circumstance could anybody sanely argue that he deserves an extension.

Schedule ranked 31st in the Sagarin Rankings going into Saturday...

http://www.usatoday..../ncaaf/sagarin/

That said, I basically agree.

#64 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,973 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 01:07 PM

Schedule ranked 31st in the Sagarin Rankings going into Saturday...

http://www.usatoday..../ncaaf/sagarin/

That said, I basically agree.

Because they've played 3 teams in the top 10-15, so sure the schedule overall looks strong.  But not only have they not beaten any of those good teams, they lost by 30+ on average. 

Here's the Sagarin rankings of Maryland's opponents from that link:

Maryland - 45

James Madison - 129 - W

South Florida - 126 - W

West Virginia - 27 - L

Syracuse - 86 - W

Indiana - 91 - W

Ohio State - 11 - L

Iowa - 40 - W

Wisconsin - 14 - L

Penn State - 50 - W

Michigan State - 10 - L

Michigan - 63 - W

Rutgers - 75 - ?

• BSLMikeLowe and Greg Pappas like this

#65 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,609 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 25 November 2014 - 01:25 PM

On my phone right now or I'd "like" all these posts. Instead you'll just have to pat yourselves on the back. :-)

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#66 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 02:58 PM

Again, so much of your view on Edsall depends on where you viewed this program when he came in. 

Mackus above says Edsall "inexplicably broke us down".  One man's "inexplicably" is another man's necessary rebuild.  I personally was and still am of the opinion that this program needed to be re-built from the ground up.  Establishing relationships with local coaches, parents, football programs, etc.  That's what was needed, and IMO that's what Edsall does well.  Which is why I liked the hire at the time.  For all the criticism he takes, some of it deserved, he's a builder.  That's what he does.  And he's got a very good eye for that under the radar talent.

Greg said in another thread he wants a coach that's a good game-day tactician, good recruiter, etc.  And I agree with that, and that probably is not Edsall.  But I think what we needed to do first was build a foundation that keeps local kids from dismissing MD.  And I do think that foundation is still being laid.

Honestly, the "good to great" quote was worst thing Anderson could have said.  4 years later people continue to bring it up, and rightly so.  To me that is the quote that I hope is made when Edsall is dismissed, not Ralph.  Because this program was not good when Ralph left it.  It was the epitome of mediocre.  Not bad, but not good.  I hope that Edsall can establish enough local lines that he can make us a consistently good 8-10 win team.  And that after that we want more and realize that his game day coaching probably isn't good enough to take us there.  And that we THEN make the move to try to go from good to great. 

• BSLMikeLowe and Greg Pappas like this

#67 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,492 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 04:05 PM

Honestly, the "good to great" quote was worst thing Anderson could have said.  4 years later people continue to bring it up, and rightly so.  To me that is the quote that I hope is made when Edsall is dismissed, not Ralph.  Because this program was not good when Ralph left it.  It was the epitome of mediocre.  Not bad, but not good.  I hope that Edsall can establish enough local lines that he can make us a consistently good 8-10 win team.  And that after that we want more and realize that his game day coaching probably isn't good enough to take us there.  And that we THEN make the move to try to go from good to great. 

Some very good points there. But first, I don't entirely agree that the program wasn't good under Friedgen. His teams were certainly much more inconsistent than they are under Edsall....Ralph could knock off a ranked team, then a week later lose in aggravating fashion to a lesser opponent. With Edsall's teams things seem more predictable, but at the end of the season the results are essentially the same.

You are absolutely right that Friedgen did a poor job when it came to building relationships with the local HS programs and coaches. His recruiting classes were OK, but Ralph himself was not an active recruiter or relationship builder at all. Edsall, by most accounts, has built those relationships. And that's a very good thing. But with a couple of exceptions, that has yet to bear any fruit in terms of top players coming to MD. Again, 4 years in and Edsall's recruiting classes haven't been any better than Friedgen's. Which begs the question....along with his shortcomings as an  in-game coach, is Edsall also not the guy who will keep more of the in-state kids at home? Is he just the guy that builds the bridge to the local high schools, and we need another coach to cross it?

You don't really state where you stand on the question, but my main point in this thread has been that Edsall has not "earned an extension," as was previously stated by someone else. I am fine with bringing him back next season....let him complete more of the building process you discuss. See how next year goes, and cross the bridge on his contract when they get there. But since you also appear to believe that Edsall will eventually need to be replaced to reach the level we believe the program should be, then how many more years, and dollars, do you want to commit to him (keeping in mind that a decision one way or another pretty much has to happen by this time next year)?

• Greg Pappas likes this

#68 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 November 2014 - 07:36 PM

Who do you want that would realistically come to CP tomorrow?

Short answer: Someone who's recognized as a major upgrade over Edsall.

Longer answer: With the coming of one of college sports' preeminent facilities in a few seasons, coupled with the successful jump to the B1G, the outlook for this program is sky high. Already having a great home recruiting base in the DMV and beyond, Maryland can now offer a new head coach a tremendous opportunity to build this program from solid to top-rate in just a couple of seasons. That 2016 class looks like a beast and we're going to be in on these local kids more than ever before. Not only will local kids stay home far more often, but nationally ranked youngsters will see this sleeping giant for what it could become, boosting our ranks as never before. Such a setting is what top candidates are looking for. We've never been in a position to compete for them... but now? I like that it appears to be a realistic possibility. 

#69 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 November 2014 - 06:45 AM

Short answer: Someone who's recognized as a major upgrade over Edsall.

Longer answer: With the coming of one of college sports' preeminent facilities in a few seasons, coupled with the successful jump to the B1G, the outlook for this program is sky high. Already having a great home recruiting base in the DMV and beyond, Maryland can now offer a new head coach a tremendous opportunity to build this program from solid to top-rate in just a couple of seasons. That 2016 class looks like a beast and we're going to be in on these local kids more than ever before. Not only will local kids stay home far more often, but nationally ranked youngsters will see this sleeping giant for what it could become, boosting our ranks as never before. Such a setting is what top candidates are looking for. We've never been in a position to compete for them... but now? I like that it appears to be a realistic possibility. 

Any names you have in mind?

@levineps

#70 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 12:15 PM

Mike Leach and Mack Brown are 2 names that I think make a lot of sense, especially Mike Leach. He has the UA relationship, has done a decent job at Washington State but it's a much tougher job than he originally thought...this is MD's chance to right a wrong. Would have many more resources here and a much better opportunity to be successful. He'd be #1 on my list. I also think Leach is one of the few guys out there that MAY NOT use MD as a stepping zone. Because they always will be IMO, which isn't the worst thing in the world because that means the team would be successful...but it's always preferably to find a long-term guy. 

Mack Brown is obviously a little older but if you really think MD can really rise in the next few years, he'd be a nice 5 year option if he wants to coach again. He was said to be considering SMU, so could possibly be an option.

Then it comes down to, how much does the new facility and Big 10 move really change the perception of MD? I like to look around at other conferences, and pick a team that you think MD is viewed similarly to; and has that changed in the past 10 months with the Big 10 move and Cole?

Can we be the Arizona of the Pac 10, that a guy like Rich Rodriguez would want to go to? Or we are more of a Wake Forest?

How do we get a guy like Will Muschamp or Kirby Smart or Lane Kiffin to consider MD? Think to yourself...what is the next job Lane Kiffin will have? And how does that program stack up to MD? If Virginia offered Lane Kiffin the job, would he go there? And how do they compare to MD right now? 

@PeterDiLutis

#71 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 26 November 2014 - 12:44 PM

THEORETICALLY: How would people feel about promoting Brian Stewart? I'm obviously not in favor of firing Edsall, but wanted to throw Stewart's name out there. This is a program on the rise, I can't see how blowing it up with another coach would be beneficial.

@BSLZackKiesel

#72 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 November 2014 - 12:46 PM

Just perusing the web for potential HC hires, there are a number of hot coordinators and current HC's out there that might be fits, but I wasn't looking to spin any particular names. Regardless, here are some I came across:

Alabama's Kirby Smart and Michigan State's Pat Narduzzi are hot coordinators.
Gary Patterson of TCU and Todd Graham of Arizona State are potential candidates. Jim McElwain of Colorado State is a former Nick Saban disciple and has built Colorado State into a strong mid-major success.

It's hard to say with any conviction at this point who that guy could be, but I feel that it's better to act now than wait and fire Edsall another year or two closer to our renovations.

Zack: A new colleague of mine (a Terps "insider" I'd say) also mentioned Brian Stewart as one possible candidate.

#73 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 01:02 PM

Mike Leach and Mack Brown are 2 names that I think make a lot of sense, especially Mike Leach. 

Mike Leach's rep isn't clean enough.  Mack Brown is a stuffed shirt.

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#74 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,492 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 01:08 PM

THEORETICALLY: How would people feel about promoting Brian Stewart? I'm obviously not in favor of firing Edsall, but wanted to throw Stewart's name out there. This is a program on the rise, I can't see how blowing it up with another coach would be beneficial.

I don't know enough about Stewart to know whether he could be a head coach, other than he hasn't done it before. But simply being a good coordinator does not mean a guy will be a good HC. And I don't hear much about him being involved in recruiting....if true then that makes me wary.

I don't understand your belief that replacing a coaching staff automatically equates to "blowing it up." Yeah, Edsall blew things up, and whether that was necessary is obviously a point of contention around here. My hope would be MD would hire a coach who wants to build on what is already here....and work with the inherited players to help them be even better than before, rather than butting heads with them to the point they leave en masse. I hate to drag out a tired analogy again, but I want the next HC to do what Friedgen did when he first got there (but not after that of course), not what Edsall did when he showed up.
  • Greg Pappas likes this

#75 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,492 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 01:12 PM

Mike Leach's rep isn't clean enough.  Mack Brown is a stuffed shirt.

Mike Leach can be prickly when it comes to dealing with authority. But unless you count a few text messages in which he didn't even know who he was talking to, he's never run afoul of the NCAA. The thing that got him canned from Texas Tech was total BS.....just a whiny self-entitled player with a whiny self-entitled father who happened to work for ESPN at the time.

#76 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 November 2014 - 01:22 PM

Mike Leach can be prickly when it comes to dealing with authority. But unless you count a few text messages in which he didn't even know who he was talking to, he's never run afoul of the NCAA. The thing that got him canned from Texas Tech was total BS.....just a whiny self-entitled player with a whiny self-entitled father who happened to work for ESPN at the time.

I agree with you on most things, but I'd be wary of Leach. I want a dynamic leader with no prior issues.

#77 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,492 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 01:28 PM

I agree with you on most things, but I'd be wary of Leach. I want a dynamic leader with no prior issues.

I don't really want Leach, at least not now....he'd be more inclined to start all over rather than keep the momentum going, I think. But as for his issues, I tend to believe it was mostly concocted by a few people that had an axe to grind with him.

#78 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:14 PM

I didn't say he was guilty of anything, just that his rep isn't clean enough... which it's not.  That the whole thing might be BS doesn't change that.

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#79 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,492 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:22 PM

I didn't say he was guilty of anything, just that his rep isn't clean enough... which it's not.  That the whole thing might be BS doesn't change that.

I don't know what "clean enough" means, but Leach doesn't look bad at all compared to some guys out there who have jobs (see: Petrino, Bobby).

#80 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:34 PM

I can't see Leach having success here because of that offense. It may work in the Big 12 and maybe even the Pac-12, but it can't work in the Big Ten. You can't go throwing the ball 65-70 times a game and hope to have success. There's a reason why no Air Raid team has ever come close to winning the National Championship. It puts up flashy numbers, but has a lot of trouble in the red zone and closing out games because the running game gets absolutely no focus. His Air Raid counterparts in bigger conferences (Kentucky, Indiana, Texas A&M) have completely balanced offenses. Leach is unwilling to run the ball.

Mack Brown is simply too old. You'd basically be bridging the gap between him and someone else, so why bother?

Someone said Gary Patterson and Todd Graham. No way in hell are they coming here. Kirby Smart and Pat Narduzzi? They'll go to bigger programs.

@BSLZackKiesel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=