409 replies to this topic

#21 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 08:18 PM

MD can be what they were throughout Fridges tenure here. There were a few very good years. Some mediocres and just one poor year.

The thing about the Fridge years was I knew MD would more often than not compete. Sure, they got blown out sometimes but it was almost always when they faced an elite team. When they faced these teams ranked say 20-40 it feels like they always competed and they certainly won their share. Fridge certainly didn't just beat up on the bottom tier Div 1 and 1-AA schools.

Edsall had 1, I repeat 1, win over a winning Div 1 school at MD coming into this year. That was at Virginia Tech last year who I believe finished 7-5.

Agree with you here. Some good years, maybe a great year mixed in when chips fall right, some mediocre years, and maybe a poor rebuilding year mixed in every now and then. The potential for those good/great years are just not there with Edsall. And in addition to being such a mediocre to bad program builder, he's a horrific in game coach. The 4th down decision today was just absolutely mind boggling. 4 plays later Wisconsin was dancing in the endzone and off and running. Who knows what happens if you punt it down to the 20 or you kick a FG there? 

Not only that, but the whole situation began because CJ Brown was unaware and lost 4-5 yards running out of bounds. Dude is a 6 year senior and can't throw the ball...one would at least hope he'd have enough brains not to put the team in that situation. Goes back to coaching and the decision to have CJ Brown as your QB in year 4 to begin with. 

@PeterDiLutis

#22 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 08:21 PM

Most of my anger/angst as a Terps fan goes back to when the hire was made. I remember when they hired Edsall how demoralized I was. Because I knew he was the definition of mediocrity. In addition to being a mediocre coach, he was so bland and boring at a time when MD needed excitement to sell out the suites and to get the fans back and excited in College Park after a boring end to Ralph's run. With every coach in the country, you pick Randy Edsall?

It would be like hiring Norv Turner to turn your NFL franchise around and get the fans back excited. He's proven over a very long time that he can't do that...it would be better to go get the next hot assistant, or...well, anyone really. At least get someone who COULD be great, not someone who's proven they can't be.

You could hire a young assistant coach and give him a chance and even if he was a bust, he could still manage to win 5-6 games a couple years before the next change is made like Edsall did last year and is doing this year. 

@PeterDiLutis

#23 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 25 October 2014 - 10:43 PM

Well, Penn State is taking Ohio State to OT. For those who think the Terps can win there next week, if you believe in the transitive property, that seems unlikely now.

#24 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 November 2014 - 08:33 AM

After a B1G win yesterday at Michigan (another first for the program) we who have pined for Edsall's ouster may be finding ourselves disappointed. Great win for Edsall and the program, no denying that. However, while our season has been a success overall, there remains a stigma attached to the program, which is that we cannot beat ranked teams and are a second rate program. The renovations recently proposed, if approved, should usher in a new era of top tier recruiting and clout, and I for one still feel strongly that Edsall is not the man to lead us into that future.

Beating Penn State and Michigan nearly ANY other year (especially on the road) would be more impressive, but let's not lose sight of what both of those programs are this year- and that's shadows of past powerhouses. There is still the matter of two more games to be played, including a bowl game, but -unfortunately- I suspect that the call on an Edsall extension or firing just got tougher for AD- Kevin Anderson.

So, where does this leave Edsall? What are your expectations moving forward? Will he get an extension or will we finally bring in a bona fide top-tier HC that's worthy (IMO) of where this program is headed? 

#25 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,492 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:37 AM

I'd say the Michigan win secures his extension. I can't see us losing to Rutgers at home. 

Enjoy the fact that we beat Penn State in Penn State and Michigan at Michigan because it probably won't happen again for a very, very long time...... especially with Edsall at the helm. 

#26 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 November 2014 - 10:21 AM

I'd say the Michigan win secures his extension. I can't see us losing to Rutgers at home. 

Enjoy the fact that we beat Penn State in Penn State and Michigan at Michigan because it probably won't happen again for a very, very long time...... especially with Edsall at the helm. 

I'd hope that his extension has not been secured, but you could be right. I also expect a win vs. Rutgers. Regarding winning at those schools again, it's hard to say, but I'm very hopeful for this program's future, despite the anchor that is Randy Edsall. AD's have to take a great deal into account, and I can only hope that Anderson has the foresight to make a change. With the planned renovations impending, the Terps are on the verge of a major uprising in our conference and NEED the right HC to lead us. If Edsall is retained/extended, I'll laugh, shake my head sideways in defeated angst, knowing a B1G mistake was made, yet still pull for our Terps all the way.

#27 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 10:54 AM

Beat Rutgers, and I'm fine with Edsall being extended through the 2017 season. (That's a 1 year extension.. he originally signed a 6 year deal in 2011.)

The performance center is set to open in April 2017... (the rest of the facility done in June 2018).

By the end of the '17 season, Edsall will have had 3 more years to make his bones, and for MD to be selling their future.

I would like to see the Athletic Department give Edsall some additional funds to bring in some more Coaching / Recruiting help.

#28 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 November 2014 - 11:46 AM

Beat Rutgers, and I'm fine with Edsall being extended through the 2017 season. (That's a 1 year extension.. he originally signed a 6 year deal in 2011.)

The performance center is set to open in April 2017... (the rest of the facility done in June 2018).

By the end of the '17 season, Edsall will have had 3 more years to make his bones, and for MD to be selling their future.

I would like to see the Athletic Department give Edsall some additional funds to bring in some more Coaching / Recruiting help.

We see things quite differently in regards to being okay with Edsall staying on until 2017. Sure, he has two years remaining, and you're only suggesting a one-year extension, but we need momentum getting to 2017, and I don't feel Edsall is capable of that. I could be wrong, but a new coach coming in next year would give him time to build the program ahead of the big renovations. I guess it's a matter of how one sees keeping Edsall versus the potential of someone new. Regardless, I have a strong feeling that you're right, in that Edsall's not going anywhere for now.  

#29 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 11:56 AM

If the university wants to send everyone the message that 7-8 wins vs bad/mediocre teams qualifies as "great", and getting obliterated by good ones is something we'll just have to learn to live with, then go ahead and give him the extension, I guess. Don't expect any sellouts at Byrd for that though....except when visiting fans show up in large numbers.

#30 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:00 PM

Mentioned this before, but I think just tacking on 1 year at the end is rather meaningless. It says you aren't willing to commit to him long-term, but you feel like you gotta do something so recruits won't bail on him (which I don't think will work).
  • Greg Pappas likes this

#31 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:01 PM

If the university wants to send everyone the message that 7-8 wins vs bad/mediocre teams qualifies as "great", and getting obliterated by good ones is something we'll just have to learn to live with, then go ahead and give him the extension, I guess. Don't expect any sellouts at Byrd for that though....except when visiting fans show up in large numbers.

I can see that...

I can also see the argument of...  (if MD beats Rutgers)...   The Big Ten East and Big Ten as a whole was down... but MD had a winning record in conference play in the first year. They head to their bowl with 8 wins.

There has been year-to-year progression...

We tack on a year... Edsall now has 2015, '16, and '17.  With the facility opening in April '17, the recruits of '16, and '17 can be sold on that.

If '15, and '16 did not go as desired, you could make a change after '16... with a new coach being able to come in with the launch of the new facility for '17, and just having to buy out 1 year of Edsall.

#32 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:03 PM

Mentioned this before, but I think just tacking on 1 year at the end is rather meaningless. It says you aren't willing to commit to him long-term, but you feel like you gotta do something so recruits won't bail on him (which I don't think will work).

Think that is also fair... but Edsall having 3 years on his deal (and having received some sort of extension) is an easier sell to recruits vs. he has 2 years left.

I guess the more likely outcome is a larger, longer extension.

#33 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:04 PM

I don't really know much about it... but it seems like they did OK-enough this year to not fire the guy... and the main problem with not giving an extension is that, in today's world, that is almost like firing him... it would mean next year would be a constant distraction away from football with everybody waiting for the axe to fall... and that's probably not good for anybody...

So, even if you might ditch him after next season, I think it's probably better to give him a short extension and be willing to fork over the payout if you fire him, rather than make next year all about the coach rather than all about the football team...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#34 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:08 PM

Think that is also fair... but Edsall having 3 years on his deal (and having received some sort of extension) is an easier sell to recruits vs. he has 2 years left.

I guess the more likely outcome is a larger, longer extension.

Could it be sold as accountability? As in, at Maryland you have to earn your job, and the school isn't willing to accept anything less than top performance from the top people?

@DJ_McCann

#35 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:21 PM

I thought when he threw his headset off and ran around with his arms in the air that it showed his true classless colors. I can see players acting that way but the headcoach is supposed to be an example for his players. Act like you've been there before you classless turd!

#36 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:22 PM

Could it be sold as accountability? As in, at Maryland you have to earn your job, and the school isn't willing to accept anything less than top performance from the top people?

If MD beats Rutgers, there has been year-to-year incremental improvement.  You can argue the program is being built.

I'm fine with tacking on a year, I do think there is rationale for doing that. I'd be less inclined to tack on more than that, for what you are saying here. A year extension rewards the incremental improvement, and says we think you can continue to improve the program (as the structure of the program improves around you).... it also says, we are not buying in completely, because more needs to be accomplished first.

The more I think about it, the more I'm expecting a 3 year extension... having Edsall signed through the 2019 season.

#37 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:24 PM

I thought when he threw his headset off and ran around with his arms in the air that it showed his true classless colors. I can see players acting that way but the headcoach is supposed to be an example for his players. Act like you've been there before you classless turd!

I think he is poor behind a mic..... the less he says in public, the better imo... but I had no problem with his enthusiasm there. I don't think it was classless... perhaps a bit over the top though considering what Hoke was facing on the other sideline.

#38 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 01:15 PM

I can see that...
I can also see the argument of...  (if MD beats Rutgers)...   The Big Ten East and Big Ten as a whole was down... but MD had a winning record in conference play in the first year. They head to their bowl with 8 wins.
There has been year-to-year progression...
We tack on a year... Edsall now has 2015, '16, and '17.  With the facility opening in April '17, the recruits of '16, and '17 can be sold on that.

If '15, and '16 did not go as desired, you could make a change after '16... with a new coach being able to come in with the launch of the new facility for '17, and just having to buy out 1 year of Edsall.

I just want to see the desired results before I hand out the extension, rather than just assuming the incremental improvement is going to continue and they may someday get there. For all we know, we may have just seen MD's ceiling under Edsall, and I can't imagine too many people will think this is the best we can do. While having him go into next season with just two years left isn't ideal, I don't think it's dire enough where you have to feel compelled to do something now. Obviously it would be a much different story next year.

#39 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 23 November 2014 - 04:52 PM

I just want to see the desired results before I hand out the extension, rather than just assuming the incremental improvement is going to continue and they may someday get there. For all we know, we may have just seen MD's ceiling under Edsall, and I can't imagine too many people will think this is the best we can do. While having him go into next season with just two years left isn't ideal, I don't think it's dire enough where you have to feel compelled to do something now. Obviously it would be a much different story next year.

This is how I feel. I wouldn't be terribly upset with a one-year extension, but it doesn't make any sense to me, even within the absolute insane logic of college football, to give him any more, even theoretical, job security.

First, the team is still in flux. While Rowe goes into next season as the starting quarterback, he wasn't able to beat out a guy who has trouble with some of the nuances of the position (like throwing a pass), he can't stay healthy, and the guys behind him haven't shown anything. And the offensive line is a disaster. You can say all you want that guys are coming in who can help, and that's fine to believe, but there's just as good of a chance that things at both positions stay right where they are for the foreseeable future. That limits where the team can go.

Second, this is an athletic department that we've been told simply can't afford to fire Edsall. So why give him that extension which brings more money into a situation were he still probably ends up fired? They talk about looking to the future, with this new facility*, but a long-term contract for a coach with a middling-at-best record throws that attitude right out of the window.

*I know the money doesn't come from the same sources, so as an actual comparison it doesn't work. But when you say you have to keep coaches on because you can't afford to fire them, then announce more than a hundred million dollars for renovating a 60-year-old basketball arena into what will primarily be a new practice facility, it just doesn't look good.

@DJ_McCann

#40 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 05:02 PM

Second, this is an athletic department that we've been told simply can't afford to fire Edsall. So why give him that extension which brings more money into a situation were he still probably ends up fired? They talk about looking to the future, with this new facility*, but a long-term contract for a coach with a middling-at-best record throws that attitude right out of the window.

And this illustrates why I don't even tack on one year right now. At its best it's a symbolic move that doesn't fool anyone. It says you still might fire the guy, but you just made it cost a couple million more if you do....and for what?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=