409 replies to this topic

#381 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 12:28 PM

Have to say, I don't get the fire of hate that spews from peoples' mouths when they talk about Edsall. Look, I get it, you don't like him, but these personal attacks are insane. The unreasonable superlatives are not only getting old, but they're annoying and disrespectful. Attacking his coaching ability is fine, but all this "he doesn't care about his players" or "he's the worst coach I've ever seen in sports" crap is completely uncalled for. I'm sick of it. He doesn't deserve the unreasonable personal attacks.

Most people don't know that his daughter is a student here. Mainly because they wanted to keep her hidden from the public (along with his entire family) because of this crap.

He's the worst coach I've ever seen. That's completely on topic as it relates to his ability as a coach. He may be a quality human being outside of coaching football. The attacks on him having anything to do with football are fair game.

#382 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 12:37 PM

Even Boswell, while pulling no punches, said Edsall was a decent person.

But Edsall told his UConn players that he was leaving for MD by texting them.  And then there was the whole Danny O'Brian/Vanderbilt fiasco.  So it's not really a stretch to say that he doesn't care about his players, IMO, and that's one of the reasons that he's a bad football coach.

Also, really dumb idea for his daughter to attend college where her dad coaches.

#383 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 12 October 2015 - 12:42 PM

But Edsall told his UConn players that he was leaving for MD by texting them.  And then there was the whole Danny O'Brian/Vanderbilt fiasco.  So it's not really a stretch to say that he doesn't care about his players, IMO, and that's one of the reasons that he's a bad football coach.

Also, really dumb idea for his daughter to attend college where her dad coaches.

I think that's a bit much, since we don't really know why his daughter chose to attend UM. Given what Edsall made in salary, I doubt money was a factor if she wanted to go elsewhere (I'm pretty sure her tuition was free so long as Edsall was employed there). Maybe it was important to her to stay close to her family? Maybe there was something she really liked about UM that had nothing to do with her dad?

• Nigel Tufnel likes this

#384 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 12:46 PM

Might be a good time to start a new thread focused on the future. Yeah, these last five seasons have mostly been a lost cause. But based on where things stand today vs where they stood 5 years ago, I have some optimism and I'm willing to give Kevin Anderson another shot at this (not like I have any choice).

• Greg Pappas likes this

#385 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 12:47 PM

But Edsall told his UConn players that he was leaving for MD by texting them. And then there was the whole Danny O'Brian/Vanderbilt fiasco. So it's not really a stretch to say that he doesn't care about his players, IMO, and that's one of the reasons that he's a bad football coach.

Agreed on all accounts. He wasn't man enough to leave UConn the correct way. His players revolted against him his first year. He's multiple times threw his players under a bus publicly. I don't get this narrative that he was such a great players coach anyway.

#386 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 12:52 PM

I think that's a bit much, since we don't really know why his daughter chose to attend UM. Given what Edsall made in salary, I doubt money was a factor if she wanted to go elsewhere (I'm pretty sure her tuition was free so long as Edsall was employed there). Maybe it was important to her to stay close to her family? Maybe there was something she really liked about UM that had nothing to do with her dad?

Yeah, I probably worded that a little strongly.  Maybe there was a good reason for her to attend Maryland.  Still, if you're going to go to school at a place where your dad has a highly visible and highly difficult job, you need to do it with your eyes open.

Also, is Edsall's fifth year as HC, so if his daughter is still a student then she presumably chose to attend MD even after he got off to a disappointing start.

#387 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 12:59 PM

Yeah, I probably worded that a little strongly.  Maybe there was a good reason for her to attend Maryland.  Still, if you're going to go to school at a place where your dad has a highly visible and highly difficult job, you need to do it with your eyes open.

Also, is Edsall's fifth year as HC, so if his daughter is still a student then she presumably chose to attend MD even after he got off to a disappointing start.

No disagreement there. Fair or not, children of public figures (especially unpopular ones) can sometimes find themselves targets for scrutiny. I'm sure that was discussed with her parents, and I'm sure she knew it when she made her choice. But where a kid chooses to go to college is a personal choice, and hopefully her fellow students and anyone else will just treat her like any other student.

#388 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:47 PM

Testudo Times: Edsall thanks Maryland in statement: "I want to thank everyone for giving me the opportunity"

http://www.testudoti...-thank-everyone

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#389 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,825 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 02:14 PM

Have to say, I don't get the fire of hate that spews from peoples' mouths when they talk about Edsall. Look, I get it, you don't like him, but these personal attacks are insane. The unreasonable superlatives are not only getting old, but they're annoying and disrespectful. Attacking his coaching ability is fine, but all this "he doesn't care about his players" or "he's the worst coach I've ever seen in sports" crap is completely uncalled for. I'm sick of it. He doesn't deserve the unreasonable personal attacks.

How is saying he's the "worst coach I've ever seen in sports" a personal attack if it's true?  I can't think of a coach who I thought did a worse job coaching any of the teams I've ever rooted for.  Only one who I might rank below him for me is Phil Regan.

I think he's an absolutely horrible head football coach.  What's uncalled for about that?

I've also got big problems with how he conducted himself personally, especially when he first got here by calling out the way Friedgen did things and basically any time he opened his mouth for the first six months to a year after he was hired.  There have been some bringing those incidents up as his tenure came to a close recently, and I think that is fair, but even still the vast majority of the comments have been on his putrid coaching and not anything outside of that.

• You Play to Win the Game and Greg Pappas like this

#390 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,551 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 13 October 2015 - 02:26 PM

I was a few deep at the Ravens' game Sunday and, when we were blowing another lead, yelled out "Hire Edsall for D Coordinator!"

Got a few LOLs

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#391 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 29 October 2015 - 12:56 PM

Baltimore Sun: Mike Leach is so busy at Washington State he didn't know Edsall was fired

https://www.washingt...4ea1_story.html

@BSLZackKiesel

#392 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 12:29 PM

DetroitLions.com: Lions add Randy Edsall to staff

The Lions added more experience to their staff Sunday with the hiring of Randy Edsall as the new director of football research-special projects.

The football research department assists in all aspects of game preparation, and also provides information to the coaching, personnel and football administration departments to help improve the team’s decisions in the draft, free agency and on gameday.

The answer to the obvious question of WTF.....the Lions' GM was a grad assistant at UConn when Edsall started there as head coach, so consider this paying back a favor. Would be interesting to know if this saves UMD any cash.

#393 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 31 January 2016 - 02:17 PM

DetroitLions.com: Lions add Randy Edsall to staff

The answer to the obvious question of WTF.....the Lions' GM was a grad assistant at UConn when Edsall started there as head coach, so consider this paying back a favor. Would be interesting to know if this saves UMD any cash.

Wow, good luck to him I guess.  Job sounds like, it was just dreamed up

@mikeghg

#394 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,551 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 31 January 2016 - 02:21 PM

Did they create this job for him or something?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#395 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 31 January 2016 - 06:44 PM

Did they create this job for him or something?

Maybe he has a friend in the Lion organization.  Maybe they see him more of an administrative type.

@mikeghg

#396 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 09:42 PM

Maybe he has a friend in the Lion organization. 

You quoted my post without even reading it?  ;)

#397 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:02 AM

Edsall sucks, part 999,999.

http://highschoolspo...-eleventh-hour/

#398 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,825 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:07 AM

He's a shitty person and the real kicker is he thinks he's some sort of role model for instilling honor and discipline in his players.

I honestly have no idea how someone who treats people the way he does ever had success.

• JeremyStrain, Hooded Viper and Nigel Tufnel like this

#399 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:25 AM

He's certainly not the first coach to do this, nor will he be the last.

@BSLZackKiesel

#400 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:25 AM

Tamir Goodman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors