409 replies to this topic

#341 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,858 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 12:51 PM

Congratulations. Don't screw up the next hire, Anderson. 

#342 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,524 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 11 October 2015 - 12:52 PM

Pete Thamel ‏

@SIPeteThamel  9m9 minutes ago
People chuckling at Maryland landing a big coach underestimate the Under Armour money and new $155 million facility. They'll aim high.

#343 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,358 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 11 October 2015 - 12:54 PM

Lyndon Johnson also fired. Not too surprising, AHC usually gets the interim job, but he didn't.
@BSLZackKiesel

#344 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,524 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 12:55 PM

Lyndon Johnson, OLB coach and longtime Edsall groupie, is out too. Presser at 4pm.

#345 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,383 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 11 October 2015 - 12:59 PM

Pretty cool that IMS is so spot on about a lot of this stuff.

This one was a pretty poorly kept secret, if I heard about it about the same time they did. But now that I know who knows the dirt behind the scenes...

@JeremyMStrain

#346 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,524 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 01:04 PM

CRDdhZ5WoAAUka-.png

#347 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 October 2015 - 01:06 PM

Pretty cool that IMS is so spot on about a lot of this stuff.

This one was a pretty poorly kept secret, if I heard about it about the same time they did. But now that I know who knows the dirt behind the scenes...

So this was all booster? Do you trust KA?

#348 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,383 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 01:12 PM

So this was all booster? Do you trust KA?

Not much. But juuuuust a little bit more than I used to. I got the backstory on the end of Ralph/Franklin beginning of Edsall period, and even though executed poorly, it made a lot more sense.

I know why KA picks people now, I know why the Leach thing was "botched" (it wasn't), and I know what he is looking for going forward. A big key for the boosters was keeping the recruiting pipeline flowing, and improving, hence Locksley, but they are shooting BIG for the next coach.

Edsall wasn't supposed to compete or improve the program, he was supposed to scorch the earth and start over. He did, NOW it's time to find someone to move forward. You just aren't going to get a big coach to come in when you have to gut the program, that takes a couple years to complete, and none of the big ones want to come be a complete lame duck their first couple years while waiting on their own recruits. The studying of the commits/future commits, and recruiting pipeline is a huge part of the coaching negotiation progress.

• BSLZackKiesel likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#349 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,524 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 01:15 PM

Not much. But juuuuust a little bit more than I used to. I got the backstory on the end of Ralph/Franklin beginning of Edsall period, and even though executed poorly, it made a lot more sense.

I know why KA picks people now, I know why the Leach thing was "botched" (it wasn't), and I know what he is looking for going forward. A big key for the boosters was keeping the recruiting pipeline flowing, and improving, hence Locksley, but they are shooting BIG for the next coach.

Edsall wasn't supposed to compete or improve the program, he was supposed to scorch the earth and start over. He did, NOW it's time to find someone to move forward. You just aren't going to get a big coach to come in when you have to gut the program, that takes a couple years to complete, and none of the big ones want to come be a complete lame duck their first couple years while waiting on their own recruits. The studying of the commits/future commits, and recruiting pipeline is a huge part of the coaching negotiation progress.

Could you maybe enlighten me on the end of the Friedgen era and why KA thought this was necessary? It does make sense and gives me a little more confidence in him if he didn't see Edsall as a long term solution (I sure never did). But MD didn't look like a program that needed to be torn down at the time. It just needed a shot in the arm.

EDIT: And it is encouraging that both your source and some in the national media are saying they want to go big for the next coach. I just hope that their expectations aren't so high that if they don't get the first couple guys on their list they don't go with a retread who isn't a good fit just because the guy is a household name.

EDIT2: My guess is in addition to a big salary, Kevin Plank might be willing to pony up some UA shares for the next guy, which is what they've done for some of their bigger endorsers like Brady and Curry. I'm even envisioning commercials like the one they had a few years back with Spurrier.

#350 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 11 October 2015 - 01:25 PM

giphy.gif

• Russ likes this

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#351 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,252 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 11 October 2015 - 03:11 PM

@testudotimes: What excites the fans, and why couldn't Edsall do it? Anderson: "Fans want exciting, wide open offense."

Sounds like Chip.

#352 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,383 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 03:22 PM

Could you maybe enlighten me on the end of the Friedgen era and why KA thought this was necessary? It does make sense and gives me a little more confidence in him if he didn't see Edsall as a long term solution (I sure never did). But MD didn't look like a program that needed to be torn down at the time. It just needed a shot in the arm.

EDIT: And it is encouraging that both your source and some in the national media are saying they want to go big for the next coach. I just hope that their expectations aren't so high that if they don't get the first couple guys on their list they don't go with a retread who isn't a good fit just because the guy is a household name.

EDIT2: My guess is in addition to a big salary, Kevin Plank might be willing to pony up some UA shares for the next guy, which is what they've done for some of their bigger endorsers like Brady and Curry. I'm even envisioning commercials like the one they had a few years back with Spurrier.

Not publicly. You can PM me.

@JeremyMStrain

#353 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,524 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 04:35 PM

Sounds like the Terps might have some big time competition in their search for a coach. Still think Strong will be out at Texas after the season, and Sarkisian is on some very shaky ground at USC.

#354 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,387 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 11 October 2015 - 04:37 PM

Even if Chip gets fired, which I think is questionable, he can do substantially better than Maryland. I'll be shocked if he's the next coach.

#355 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 04:38 PM

Sounds like the Terps might have some big time competition in their search for a coach. Still think Strong will be out at Texas after the season, and Sarkisian is on some very shaky ground at USC.

If Strong is gone, gotta think Texas will make the play for Chip Kelly.  He'd be stupid not to take that job, coaching at Texas should be the easiest job for a halfway decent coach in the country.  You get preference for a huge chunk of the top level recruits and you get to play in a weak conference, but still have the prestige to get ranked well.

#356 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 04:40 PM

The one advantage MD has is breathing room... whoever goes into those other places is gonna have boosters climbing into their shorts from Day 1...   now, some guys might not care... but all MD needs is one guy who'd rather build a tradition with his name on it, rather than just repair a broken one under extreme pressure...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#357 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,858 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 04:45 PM

It's MD football. You can't expect a lot. Chip Kelly is a total pipedream. 

#358 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,524 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 04:48 PM

If Strong is gone, gotta think Texas will make the play for Chip Kelly.  He'd be stupid not to take that job, coaching at Texas should be the easiest job for a halfway decent coach in the country.  You get preference for a huge chunk of the top level recruits and you get to play in a weak conference, but still have the prestige to get ranked well.

The one advantage MD has is breathing room... whoever goes into those other places is gonna have boosters climbing into their shorts from Day 1...   now, some guys might not care... but all MD needs is one guy who'd rather build a tradition rather than just repair a broken one under extreme pressure...

Which is one reason why Kelly makes a little bit of sense at MD. He is not a guy who will do the grip-n-grin with the boosters or be very media-friendly. He got a lot of flak here at Oregon for that....but because he won big and was a god among the rank-and-file fans, it was no big deal. Not so certain it would be that way in Texas....it sounds like their big money people have quite a sense of entitlement as far as their access to the program.

Also, Kelly seems like he's as much a scientist as a football coach. He loves to experiment with ideas, but that's not really the sort of thing the NFL embraces. But if you are at the right college, you get a lot more leeway with that. When you look at what he did at Oregon, what he's trying to do at Philly (not talking X's and O's, but how teams practice, train, eat, sleep, etc) it sure seems like his approach would fit right in the wheelhouse of what MD and Under Armour are doing in Cole (which is much more than just an indoor football field to practice on).

Ok....I'm gonna stop before I talk myself into the idea that Kelly would come to MD, only to be majorly disappointed when Al Golden is introduced as the next HC wearing a bright red tie.

#359 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 04:57 PM

Maryland could always hire Cam Cameron.

#360 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,358 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 11 October 2015 - 05:26 PM

Sarkisian just took an indefinite leave of absence and is a pill junkie and alcoholic. Pretty sure he'll be out of coaching for awhile. And Strong saved his job by beating Oklahoma, and the HS coaches and boosters are still behind him.

@BSLZackKiesel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=