#361 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,348 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 11 October 2015 - 05:27 PM

@testudotimes: What excites the fans, and why couldn't Edsall do it? Anderson: "Fans want exciting, wide open offense."

Sounds like Chip.

Or Scott Frost. Or Mike Norvell. Or Tom Herman. Or Chad Morris.

Plenty of coaches fit this bill, doesn't have to be Chip Kelly.

• BSLChrisStoner, Mike B and Mike in STL like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#362 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,465 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 11 October 2015 - 05:33 PM

Sarkisian just took an indefinite leave of absence and is a pill junkie and alcoholic. Pretty sure he'll be out of coaching for awhile. And Strong saved his job by beating Oklahoma, and the HS coaches and boosters are still behind him.

I was referring to the LOA with Sarkisian, although I found him to be a somewhat underwhelming hire from the start (for the likes of USC anyway) and they have been disappointing this season. Who knows if he'll be back?

I don't think the win over Oklahoma bought Strong anything more than the assurance he'll finish this season. What they do from here on out will determine his fate beyond that. The HS coaches might like him, but the boosters seem pretty divided to me. Add in a new AD who could very likely want to make his own hire, and I'm not bullish on his long-term job security.

#363 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 05:36 PM

And Strong saved his job by beating Oklahoma, and the HS coaches and boosters are still behind him.

Before it all started, I would have bet a zillion dollars that Charlie Strong would succeed at a big-time HC job... my only 2nd-thought was about it being in Texas, due to you-know-what... so IMO, if TX fires him, MD oughta hire him...

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#364 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,348 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 11 October 2015 - 06:01 PM

Before it all started, I would have bet a zillion dollars that Charlie Strong would succeed at a big-time HC job... my only 2nd-thought was about it being in Texas, due to you-know-what... so IMO, if TX fires him, MD oughta hire him...

I like Strong, and certainly wouldn't mind seeing him at Maryland.

@BSLZackKiesel

#365 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:45 PM

Frost is a good target.

Lane Kiffin?

#366 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:45 PM

John Harbaugh?

#367 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,348 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:59 PM

Lane Kiffin?

No.

John Harbaugh?

No.

@BSLZackKiesel

#368 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 11 October 2015 - 08:01 PM

Frost is a good target.

Lane Kiffin?

There was a big time debate regarding Kiffin earlier in the thread.

#369 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 October 2015 - 08:09 PM

No.

No.

No Harbaugh? I mean I guess you are looking to upgrade from Edsall? :)

#370 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 October 2015 - 08:14 PM

You would figure that you land a better coach since you are in the Big 10 vs the ACC, right?

#371 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 11 October 2015 - 08:18 PM

You would figure that you land a better coach since you are in the Big 10 vs the ACC, right?

Big Ten, plus UA money, plus coming facilities. You could even throw in the recruits that, at least for the moment, appear to be sticking to verbals (like Haskins, at least in his one tweet).

@DJ_McCann

#372 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 11 October 2015 - 08:30 PM

Big Ten, plus UA money, plus coming facilities. You could even throw in the recruits that, at least for the moment, appear to be sticking to verbals (like Haskins, at least in his one tweet).

Haskins is in. He wasn't blind to this move.

@JeremyMStrain

#373 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 11 October 2015 - 08:33 PM

Haskins is in. He wasn't blind to this move.

I've been, "I'll believe it when he signs a LOI and shows up on campus," all along, so that won't change now.

@DJ_McCann

#374 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 11 October 2015 - 08:43 PM

I've been, "I'll believe it when he signs a LOI and shows up on campus," all along, so that won't change now.

Yep, was right there with you, and had big doubts when I heard about this. He's on board so far. I think that's with Locks taking over though, not sure what happens if he's out when they bring in the new coach, but don't get that impression. He seems big on this DMV2UMD movement.

@JeremyMStrain

#375 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 October 2015 - 09:21 AM

Frost is a good target.

Lane Kiffin?

Lane Kiffin would be a real gamble, and not because he can not coach.  

@mikeghg

#376 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 11:46 AM

Boswell on Edsall:

I've stayed off Edsall's case in my column because, while I've covered almost everything known to man in DC sports, somehow I've spent almost no time on Maryland football over the years. I watched the games, of course. But we've always had plenty of others who were extremely interested (and knowledgeable) about Maryland football.

But I have had a strong opinion on Edsall since the day he was hired: This guy is a total joke as a major-college football coach. He's a parody of a college football coach out of a spoof movie -- the uptight, insecure, over-his-head, unimaginative, blame-ducking, thin-skinned, diligent, decent but constantly annoying Bad Hire. Blame Anderson. When you make an unconventional pick -- and people said "What!!?????" -- the instant Edsall was hired, you better be right.

For me, Edsall counts as TWO Failed Hires for Anderson.

My son the Maryland grad and I have spent Edsall's entire time at the school comparing notes every fall -- especially the last few weeks -- on how bad a coach he is. He's only stayed employed this long because 7-6 gets you into one of America's 500 Trash Bowl games. He schedules chumps and doesn't even always beat them. And he could go 0-for-1,000 vs Top 25 teams. 

http://live.washingt...l-20151012.html

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#377 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 12:14 PM

Boswell on Edsall:

http://live.washingt...l-20151012.html

100% on the nose and some of us have been saying that from the get go. He's the worst coach I've ever seen coach one of my teams. That's Ravens, Orioles, Terps Basketball and Football. No one else is even close to him. Not Sam Perlozzo, not Lee Mazzili, not Mark Duffner. No one.

#378 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,482 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 October 2015 - 12:17 PM

He's also spot on about KA. Couldn't possibly agree more. But I'll stop beating that drum for now. You all know where I stand on that, even if I am alone for the time being.

#379 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,348 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 12 October 2015 - 12:23 PM

Have to say, I don't get the fire of hate that spews from peoples' mouths when they talk about Edsall. Look, I get it, you don't like him, but these personal attacks are insane. The unreasonable superlatives are not only getting old, but they're annoying and disrespectful. Attacking his coaching ability is fine, but all this "he doesn't care about his players" or "he's the worst coach I've ever seen in sports" crap is completely uncalled for. I'm sick of it. He doesn't deserve the unreasonable personal attacks.

Most people don't know that his daughter is a student here. Mainly because they wanted to keep her hidden from the public (along with his entire family) because of this crap.

• RShack likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#380 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 12:25 PM

I've said this before, but the only reason I give Anderson even somewhat of a pass is that he was caught scrambling. Completely caught with his pants down. And you can say you need to have a better backup plan but he thought and was told Leach was in the bag here.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=