Photo

Balt Sun: 10 starting pitcher trade targets for Orioles in wake of Kyle Bradish injury

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 158,386 posts

Posted 22 June 2024 - 09:16 AM

Balt Sun: 10 starting pitcher trade targets for Orioles in wake of Kyle Bradish injury

#2 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,039 posts

Posted 22 June 2024 - 09:35 AM

I can't read the article, but listing Garrett Crochet on the list of guys they should target is laughable. He is cost controlled for the next 4 or 5 years, will likely hit his innings limit around 130 or so this year, and is a major part of the White Sox attempt to become relevant again.

That trade makes literally no sense for either team.

#3 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,605 posts

Posted 22 June 2024 - 09:51 AM

Lets hope dude doesnt get this thread locked too

#4 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,605 posts

Posted 22 June 2024 - 09:53 AM

Said it in another thread, I do think the Os will be looking at team controlled SP at this deadline considering  our need for SP the rest of this year but also heading into '25. So Crochet makes sense in that regard.

#5 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,039 posts

Posted 22 June 2024 - 10:41 AM

Said it in another thread, I do think the Os will be looking at team controlled SP at this deadline considering our need for SP the rest of this year but also heading into '25. So Crochet makes sense in that regard.

He pitched like 60 innings in a season prior to this year. How is he going to get through the playoffs?

He's a young pitcher pushing his innings limits who throws hard and throws a lot of breaking pitches. We know what that leads to.

This is the same organization that wanted the package for Cease (who has the same amount of time left) to start (not end) with Holliday. Crochet is better. Are you willing to send Holliday, and Kjerstad/Mayo for him? Because even that might not be enough.

Why would the White Sox trade him when he is the exact guy they will be trying to build around?

Crochet would make sense foe every team in the majors. There's no reasonable way anyone, including the O's will acquire him.

#6 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,772 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 22 June 2024 - 10:41 AM

Get him!!

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#7 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 22 June 2024 - 10:43 AM

There was a time when the Sun's paywall allowed you to read a couple of articles a month. Not anymore.

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#8 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 June 2024 - 10:47 AM

future!

He pitched like 60 innings in a season prior to this year. How is he going to get through the playoffs?

He's a young pitcher pushing his innings limits who throws hard and throws a lot of breaking pitches. We know what that leads to.

This is the same organization that wanted the package for Cease (who had less time left) to start (not end) with Holliday. Crochet is better and has more years. Are you willing to send Holliday, Kjerstad, and Mayo for him? Because even that might not be enough.

Why would the White Sox trade him when he is the exact guy they will be trying to build around? Would the O's have listened on Adley in 2022?

Crochet would make sense foe every team in the majors. There's no reasonable way anyone, including the O's will acquire him.

I'd like a source for that because "oh the White Sox refused to entertain any offer that didn't include Holliday" and their actual return for Cease not including anything close to that don't really seem like compatible points when the actual best prospect they got was the MLB #85 overall. 

• Pedro Cerrano likes this

#9 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,578 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 22 June 2024 - 10:49 AM

I'd like a source for that because "oh the White Sox refused to entertain any offer that didn't include Holliday" and their actual return for Cease not including anything close to that don't really seem like compatible points when the actual best prospect they got was the MLB #85 overall.

Yep. That was a great thing for people to mention though when much of the board was entertaining the idea that there very well may not have been any moves for the club to improve themselves with.

#10 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,605 posts

Posted 22 June 2024 - 10:54 AM

I dont really know what to think of Crochet specifically at this point. I just think he fits from a team control aspect.

#11 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,039 posts

Posted 22 June 2024 - 10:56 AM

It was reported multiple times last year by various insiders. Feel free to dig for it if you want.

#12 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,432 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 22 June 2024 - 10:59 AM

Lets hope dude doesnt get this thread locked too

Since you mentioned it, no idea why the other thread was locked.  Nothing wrong with anything anyone said in there.  If Chris (whoever) wants to drive the conversation into a new thread (here), ok, I guess.

#13 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,432 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 22 June 2024 - 11:00 AM

10 Pitchers listed in the article.

Crochet

Luzardo

Mason Miller

Snell

Fedde

Kikuchi

Severino

Williams

Tyler Anderson

Gibson

• russsnyder likes this

#14 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 June 2024 - 11:10 AM

It was reported multiple times last year by various insiders. Feel free to dig for it if you want.

When I search Twitter for their names together I don't see anyone with anything resembling real sources and Google similarly returns nothing from any real source. I'm sure the White Sox entered negotiations trying to see if Holliday was on the table just as I'm sure the Brewers did in the Burnes negotiations but any notion that it was Holliday or no deal seems pretty fishy when the actual trade was a much lighter prospect haul.  

#15 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,039 posts

Posted 22 June 2024 - 11:14 AM

When I search Twitter for their names together I don't see anyone with anything resembling real sources and Google similarly returns nothing from any real source. I'm sure the White Sox entered negotiations trying to see if Holliday was on the table just as I'm sure the Brewers did in the Burnes negotiations but any notion that it was Holliday or no deal seems pretty fishy when the actual trade was a much lighter prospect haul.

Then why didn't the deal get done?

Their demands were obviously too high. It's not a far fetched notion.

#16 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,792 posts

Posted 22 June 2024 - 11:15 AM

Fedde makes a lot of sense. Won’t cost as much as Crochet. Guaranteed 7.5M next year. Pitched 180 innings last year in Korea. Has had a great 1st half. There’s always the chance for regression bu he’s a solid #2 or #3 right now and the WS are a motivated seller. Obvious question is what prospects it takes. Can you get him with something like Norby and Bradfield?
  • BobPhelan likes this

#17 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,432 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 22 June 2024 - 11:16 AM

The article doesn't break things into a timeline, but you kind of have to.  Do you want to trade for a guy now?  ...or are we talking about guys that might be traded 5 weeks from now?

It's 22 June and all of the NL Teams outside of Colorado and Florida are a 5 game win streak from getting a WC spot. 

Last year, the 2nd  and 3rd WC spots played each other in the WS.  

The Mets and Cardinals had terrible seasons last year and they both want to compete.  I'd look for both teams to add at the deadline, not subtract and they certainly aren't reasonably subtracting now.  If either team hits another snag and falls significantly, sure you can go back there in 5 weeks, but not today.

Lots can change in 5 weeks.  Anyone is available if you want to get stupid. 

The context of this conversation should be "reasonably available now".

Take Gibson and Severino off the list today.

• RichardZ likes this

#18 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,039 posts

Posted 22 June 2024 - 11:20 AM

10 Pitchers listed in the article.

Crochet
Luzardo
Mason Miller
Snell
Fedde
Kikuchi
Severino
Williams
Tyler Anderson
Gibson

- Sure, but it won't get done, and doesn't help this year when it matters most.

- Hurt/ineffective

- Sure, if they're willing to part with Mayo/Basallo or equivalent for a guy who will almost certainly be in the OR in less than 12 months.

- Please no.

- Probably my favorite reasonable target

- Also fine

- Plan D but better than nothing

- I guess

- Good second addition. Can't be all they do

- Plan like...S or T

#19 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 June 2024 - 11:25 AM

Then why didn't the deal get done?

Their demands were obviously too high. It's not a far fetched notion.

It seems way more likely they were more interested in pitching prospects than an unsourced rumor than it was Holliday or bust given that the only top-100 prospect they got wound up being a pitcher ranked #85 and SD's #5 and two of the other three players were another pitching prospect and a competent reliever with two years in the majors. If CWS didn't like Povich/McDermott and/or we weren't willing to move them then I can buy that but not that they hung up if Holliday wasn't on the table 

#20 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,039 posts

Posted 22 June 2024 - 11:28 AM

It seems way more likely they were more interested in pitching prospects than an unsourced rumor than it was Holliday or bust given that the only top-100 prospect they got wound up being a pitcher ranked #85 and SD's #5 and two of the other three players were another pitching prospect and a competent reliever with two years in the majors. If CWS didn't like Povich/McDermott and/or we weren't willing to move them then I can buy that but not that they hung up if Holliday wasn't on the table

I guess we'll never know for certain, but that seems like a terrible way to do business.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=