#601 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:34 PM

That's fine. The Lakers' opener is on TNT so they will have it on there.

The Lakers season is already over. Just some fyi. :)

#602 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:38 PM

I was more upset yesterday because I expected this outcome either today, or tomorrow, or in game 6. But im definitely not looking forward to talking about anything Orioles for the next few months. Im not watching the WS. Dont care about planning for next season yet. Not even remotely thinking about Opening day because all I can think about is what a long tough season baseball is, and how fast it can be pissed away.

I know im a Ravens guy around here, but baseball was always my favorite and the one sport I played from age 5 to 18. You can casually be a football fan. Gear up once a week. But to be a baseball fan, a true fan, takes much more dedication, and why this sucks 10000 time more than Evans/Cundiff.

Rather forget about all of this nonsense until at least after the Super Bowl. Then hopefully Maryland Basketball still has my attention.
  • Oriole85 likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#603 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:42 PM

I was in class, desperately trying to not look at my phone (had my midterm, and then the professor taught for the rest of the period), practically ran to my car when he let us out, and turned on the radio just in time for the start of the ninth inning. I was just past Long Green Pike on Harford Road when Hardy grounded out. Trying hard not to cry.

Then, when I turned on the music on my phone, after the song I had previously paused finished, the next one that shuffled in the playlist was "Talkin' Baseball (Baseball and the O's)". So that let me smile a bit.

This hurts bad, but this is a good team that will have its core intact for next season, and with the right moves and some development can get right back to the postseason next year. I'm confident in that.

The Royals beat the Orioles. It may suck from our end, but I'm happy for those fans who have suffered just as long and through perhaps even deeper lows than the Orioles saw over the years. I don't know for sure if I'll be rooting for that team in the Series, because this is still a raw wound, but if they do beat San Francisco or St. Louis then I'll be glad for them anyway.

• BSLChrisStoner and RShack like this
@DJ_McCann

#604 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:54 PM

Being a fan of a Baseball team, living and dying with them EVERY DAY for 6-7 months every year is the greatest thing in the world in my opinion. I LOVE the daily grind! Sure, the season didn't end the way any of us wanted, but damn was this a fun year to be an Orioles fan.

I'll be pulling for the Royals next week, and hope the World Series title stays in the American League.

We'll get that big payoff in the end one day..Hopefully one year from now.

See you boys in April!

• You Play to Win the Game, Oriole85, RShack and 1 other like this
@beginthebegin71

#605 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 03:01 AM

We were so fake this year. We got lucky that the rest of the division sucked and we got fat off that. We weren't that good and sure as hell didn't deserve to be in the ALCS.

fuck them.

[*rolled up newspaper across the nose*]  Bad dog!  Bad dog!

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#606 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 03:05 AM

Nothing went right from last Friday til now. Nothing.

This is a fact.  Simply amazing.  

For some reason, the baseball gods had their minds made up.  Dunno why.  Something to do with the KC-OAK game... that's when it started.  

Whatever it was, it was about KC, not about BAL.  The Orioles were just collateral damage... Angels too...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#607 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,745 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 06:24 AM

There's just no way I would have believed we would have been swept if you told me that at 7 pm Friday night. No reason we SHOULD have been swept. Not with our HR threats, our bullpen, defense and quality SP. But very little of any of that ever showed up.

Despite such close games we were pretty much destroyed. Aside from tying up the games at home, there was nothing to celebrate...no feelings of magic about to happen.

This sucks.

Hats off to KC...they're freaking annoying but they've had an epic run and they're going to give an NL team fits.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#608 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,562 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 October 2014 - 06:31 AM

Being a fan of a Baseball team, living and dying with them EVERY DAY for 6-7 months every year is the greatest thing in the world in my opinion. I LOVE the daily grind! Sure, the season didn't end the way any of us wanted, but damn was this a fun year to be an Orioles fan.

I'll be pulling for the Royals next week, and hope the World Series title stays in the American League.

We'll get that big payoff in the end one day..Hopefully one year from now.

See you boys in April!

It's great in a sense to have your whole source of disappointment from the season come in the last day rather than each and every day like it was before Buck. Still, this one stings given all the circumstances... but I'll never forget the journey.
  • Oriole85 and Mike in STL like this

#609 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:25 AM

It's great in a sense to have your whole source of disappointment from the season come in the last day rather than each and every day like it was before Buck. Still, this one stings given all the circumstances... but I'll never forget the journey.

Perspective. Three short years ago we couldn't have dreamed of anything like this. Sure it sucks to get swept in the ALCS, but big picture, this season's journey was almost as good as sports gets.

• You Play to Win the Game and BSLMattJergensen like this
@beginthebegin71

#610 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,562 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:31 AM

Perspective. Three short years ago we couldn't have dreamed of anything like this. Sure it sucks to get swept in the ALCS, but big picture, this season's journey was almost as good as sports gets.

29 teams feel this way at some point every season. Only 10 get to feel it in October. Only 2 get to feel it in Mid-October.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#611 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 October 2014 - 06:19 PM

Can we create a position for post season manager?

Ned Yost? He still hasn't lost a postseason game.

@levineps

#612 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 18 October 2014 - 07:08 PM

Ned Yost? He still hasn't lost a postseason game.

He also hasn't had to do anything to win one, either :P

@DJ_McCann

#613 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 07:18 PM

He also hasn't had to do anything to win one, either :P

Well, he did use the 7th inning guy in a not-7th inning...

#614 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 October 2014 - 07:48 AM

I was more upset yesterday because I expected this outcome either today, or tomorrow, or in game 6. But im definitely not looking forward to talking about anything Orioles for the next few months. Im not watching the WS. Dont care about planning for next season yet. Not even remotely thinking about Opening day because all I can think about is what a long tough season baseball is, and how fast it can be pissed away.

I know im a Ravens guy around here, but baseball was always my favorite and the one sport I played from age 5 to 18. You can casually be a football fan. Gear up once a week. But to be a baseball fan, a true fan, takes much more dedication, and why this sucks 10000 time more than Evans/Cundiff.

Rather forget about all of this nonsense until at least after the Super Bowl. Then hopefully Maryland Basketball still has my attention.

Really good post here. Not sure I even agree with your conclusion about this being worse than Evans/Cundiff, but I do think it's much tougher to be a baseball fan. Football is as made for the fan as you can get with it being once a week so appointment TV, all the games being readily available (assuming you root for the local team and even if not, you can get them through a package or at a bar), all games being catered to TV times, etc.

@levineps

#615 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 October 2014 - 07:51 AM

This is a fact.  Simply amazing.  

For some reason, the baseball gods had their minds made up.  Dunno why.  Something to do with the KC-OAK game... that's when it started.  

Whatever it was, it was about KC, not about BAL.  The Orioles were just collateral damage... Angels too...

Since you believe in this stuff, what have the baseball gods predetermined the outcome for the World Series? Do the Giants stand a chance against "Royals magic?"

@levineps

#616 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 October 2014 - 07:56 AM

I get the whole perspective thing, I'm usually the first one to say that. But I think this one stings pretty bad given I believe we should've beaten KC. Yes, anything can happen in a seven game series, but the goal is a championship and I believe they were the better team than KC (although not this series). I didn't feel this way in 2012 when we lost to the Yankees. I also didn't like the way we lost -- getting swept. If I truly believed that KC was the better team and we had just run into the better team, I could've accepted this better.

29 teams feel this way at some point every season. Only 10 get to feel it in October. Only 2 get to feel it in Mid-October.

Yeah sure there's a lot of truth to this. I want to see a team reach their maximum point, I don't think this team did this, that's where my disappointment lies.

@levineps

#617 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 08:25 AM

Really good post here. Not sure I even agree with your conclusion about this being worse than Evans/Cundiff, but I do think it's much tougher to be a baseball fan. Football is as made for the fan as you can get with it being once a week so appointment TV, all the games being readily available (assuming you root for the local team and even if not, you can get them through a package or at a bar), all games being catered to TV times, etc.

Yeah. Looking back at that post though, I sound like an idiot in my pouty state. Lol.
  • SBTarheel likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#618 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 October 2014 - 08:29 AM

Yeah. Looking back at that post though, I sound like an idiot in my pouty state. Lol.

Maybe some recentism and that's made easier by the fact they won the Super Bowl the very next year. If the O's win the World Series this year, this isn't that bad. I would say at that point, Evans/Cundiff is worse because they literally would've been going to the SB as opposed to losing four straight.

I think it really comes down to which of the teams you are a bigger fan of? And if not, what's tougher for you, getting swept or coming up inches short?

@levineps

#619 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 19 October 2014 - 08:32 AM

A lot of reactionary posts, which is understandable obviously. 

Reflection is a beautiful thing. 

@beginthebegin71

#620 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 19 October 2014 - 08:36 AM

I think that when you're a fan of a team that's ALWAYS good (like many of you for the Ravens, myself with Carolina Hoops), it's a little easier to deal with the end of seasons, knowing you'll likely be back in some sort of contention the next year and most years beyond. 

WE never know with the O's, but thinking about the last three years, I'm pretty confident we'll be in the conversation again in 2015. 

@beginthebegin71

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=