992 replies to this topic

#961 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:04 AM

Guthries T-shirt. You know what's not "Royal"? Leading the league in pitchers losses. Twice.

What a classless bunch this entire series. God I wish the O's could do something about it, but they won't. Because they'll take the high road.
@BSLMikeRandall

#962 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,745 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:17 AM

Classless act on Guthrie's behalf, which is surprising because he had been such a classy guy.

He's where he is today because of the Orioles.

Still, let them talk shit all they want. They back it up. We love the Ravens for doing it and while it's different in baseball, they still back up their big mouths.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#963 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,564 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:40 AM

Wow, I can't believe Guthrie of all people would stoop to that level. That's very surprising. What sucks, though, more than that is that we let him be able to do that tonight by scoring one run through 5 innings. That is just flat out awful.

#964 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:51 AM

Guthrie apologized:

My intention was not to anger O's fans or friends w/my shirt 2night.I apologize to those offended.Did not consider this reaction.Go Royals.

@beginthebegin71

#965 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,745 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:52 AM

Guthrie apologized:

My intention was not to anger O's fans or friends w/my shirt 2night.I apologize to those offended.Did not consider this reaction.Go Royals.

Fuck him and his apology.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#966 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,520 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:55 AM

Fuck him and his apology.

I've always liked Guthrie a lot... seems like a good guy...  interacted with the fans, did things community wise.  The shirt was in bad taste, but the quick apology means something.

OTOH, he's an intelligent guy, and I don't buy the idea that he didn't anticipate a reaction from wearing the shirt.

#967 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:03 AM

Why does a little trash talking (if that's what it was) T-shirt bother us so much? I'm honestly missing why we care?

Much of this same fan base thought mocking JJ Redick's sister with signs and Terrell Suggs wearing an "Hey Pittsburgh" with a middle finger shirt was awesome..Why does "These O's Aint royal" or whatever bother us?

Not trying to be a smart ass, I'm honestly wondering what the big deal is?

We're suddenly letting big bad Jeremy guthrie get to us??? Really?

@beginthebegin71

#968 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:08 AM

Why does a little trash talking (if that's what it was) T-shirt bother us so much? I'm honestly missing why we care?

Much of this same fan base thought mocking JJ Redick's sister with signs and Terrell Suggs wearing an "Hey Pittsburgh" with a middle finger shirt was awesome..Why does "These O's Aint royal" or whatever bother us?

Because he's an old friend.  You know he used to play here, right?

It would be the equivalent of the fans booing Guthrie when he returns to Camden Yards to pitch with his new team.

• Mike in STL likes this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#969 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,254 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:09 AM

WTF type of reaction did he expect?

#970 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:09 AM

Because he's an old friend.

Fair enough.

@beginthebegin71

#971 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,564 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:10 AM

Fair enough.

It's a heat of the moment type thing. All about the circumstances. I'm letting it go, but it sure did piss me off at first. But again, get to Guthrie a little bit, and this never even happens.

#972 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,520 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:11 AM

In that sense, I have no problem with him wearing that shirt, or Dyson's comments etc...   but you have to own the reaction.

#973 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:13 AM

It's a heat of the moment type thing. All about the circumstances. I'm letting it go, but it sure did piss me off at first. But again, get to Guthrie a little bit, and this never even happens.

Gotcha, being down 3-0 has far more to do with the frustration. I certainly get that, but the stupid shirt and Dyson's comments are the least of my concerns.

Far more pressing issue is not getting a hit after the third inning.

@beginthebegin71

#974 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,745 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:20 AM

It would be the equivalent of the fans booing Guthrie when he returns to Camden Yards to pitch with his new team.

He will definitely be booed when he comes to OPACY, as he should be.

I agree with Chris. Own the reaction. Give a reason why you wore it where you knew it would be seen.  If you feel bitter about how you were traded -- say it. If it was some thing the team did in the clubhouse and no one really ever saw it, who cares. But you wore it to a national PC. 

Don't hide behind some BS apology and end it with "Go Royals".

#975 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:21 AM

I didn't know. I just started following the team last night. My bad.

Kind of like If Delmon Young wore a shirt that said "These Tigers are Tame" after Game 2 of the ALDS.

Or if David Lough gets a game winning HR tonight, he can wear "The O's are taking the Crown"..

You never know!

• SammyBirdland likes this
@beginthebegin71

#976 PatrickDougherty

PatrickDougherty

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:22 AM

I agree with Chris. Own the reaction. Give a reason why you wore it where you knew it would be seen.  If you feel bitter about how you were traded -- say it. If it was some thing the team did in the clubhouse and no one really ever saw it, who cares. But you wore it to a national PC. 

"I'm a Royal today and tomorrow. Our competition for a spot in the World Series is the Orioles. I had a great time in Baltimore, but right now, it doesn't matter who I used to play for, and I want to beat these guys," is the honest ownership of the shirt

@pjd0014
I'm trying to be better about sharing code for reuse: Github

#977 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:24 AM

Oh, I agree with that 100%, he knew what he was doing. just didn't expect it to get to our fans so much.

@beginthebegin71

#978 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:25 AM

I meant to compare his shirt to fans booing a player who gets traded to a new team and then returns to OPACY for their first game.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#979 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,745 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:26 AM

Oh, I agree with that 100%, he knew what he was doing. just didn't expect it to get to our fans so much.

We're down 0-3 to a team who we were favored against, and they're beating us the most frustrating way possible. How should the fans react?

#980 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:26 AM

I didn't know. I just started following the team last night. My bad.

Kind of like If Delmon Young wore a shirt that said "These Tigers are Tame" after Game 2 of the ALDS.

Or if David Lough gets a game winning HR tonight, he can wear "The O's are taking the Crown"..

You never know!

I think Guthrie meant more to this team and it's fan base than Young or Lough did to theirs ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=