#501 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 11 October 2014 - 09:53 PM

Man, that was tough to sit through. Not as much as last night, but still pretty bad. Partly because it was four goddamn hours and seventeen goddamn minutes, but just tough to play hard and still lose.

Anyone have any insight into why Markakis was held up at third? I thought he had a great shot to score, and maybe even a perfect throw and catch wouldn't get him. Get the lead there and it may change the rest of the game.

The fact that the Orioles have fought back repeatedly and yet haven't held a lead at any point in the series is one of those things that manages to be disheartening and encouraging at the same time. They aren't giving up on offense. The team just needs to pitch better. The Royals have not had a single 1-2-3 inning in the 19 innings played, and have had 38 total baserunners.

Two out of three in KC is all the Orioles need, though. Show them they are mortal, bring things back to Baltimore with a chance, and we'll see what happens then.

• BobPhelan and fishteacher like this
@DJ_McCann

#502 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 October 2014 - 09:54 PM

Luck is a wonderful thing...KC has more of it right now.

#503 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 October 2014 - 09:56 PM

For all the complaining about how we haven't gotten the big hit or scored the go ahead run, this team is losing because of pitching and defense.

We have scored enough runs to win at least one of these games.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#504 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:00 PM

Neither team is playing their game right now. The Royals are running into outs, the Orioles have had four extra-base hits in two games and have struggled with the bullpen and early exits from the starters, and both teams have made some pretty serious defensive miscues. Right now the Royals are scoring on home runs and some pretty crazy bloop hits.

So the question will really be, which team will revert to their style first while also keeping the other side from reverting to theirs?

@DJ_McCann

#505 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:02 PM

Anyone have any insight into why Markakis was held up at third? I thought he had a great shot to score, and maybe even a perfect throw and catch wouldn't get him. 

It made sense to me.  Nick's been wearing cement shoes for a few years now.  On my TV, it looked like he would've been nailed easy...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#506 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:04 PM

For all the complaining about how we haven't gotten the big hit or scored the go ahead run, this team is losing because of pitching and defense.

We have scored enough runs to win at least one of these games.

This is true.  

And even with that, just a couple BS hits have made the difference.   Among other things, this is a test of character... among other things...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#507 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:05 PM

It made sense to me.  Nick's been wearing cement shoes for a few years now.  On my TV, it looked like he would've been nailed easy...

From where I was sitting, it looked like he was already at third when Gordon was still getting to the ball. I don't know about his arm; I assume it's pretty good since he was a third baseman. I think it would have taken a perfect play to get Nick, and between the throw, the catcher fielding the ball, not blocking the plate, etc., that was no guarantee.

@DJ_McCann

#508 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,520 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:06 PM

He had zippy chance of scoring there imo.

#509 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:11 PM

Gordon has a great arm....no chance of scoring unless an unexpected bad throw or something like that.

Also, Nick is slow, so there's that too.

#510 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:17 PM

Anybody have any theories about why Nick got so slow so fast... at first he wasn't slow... at first it looked like he might learn from BRob and steal some... but about the time he started having kids, he just got S-L-O-W .. for no reason I can think of...

#511 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:34 PM

Anybody have any theories about why Nick got so slow so fast... at first he wasn't slow... at first it looked like he might learn from BRob and steal some... but about the time he started having kids, he just got S-L-O-W .. for no reason I can think of...

He's a month away from 31. Speed peaks pretty young.

@DJ_McCann

#512 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:39 PM

He's a month away from 31. Speed peaks pretty young.

To me, it seems like Nick's slowness curve has had a much more abrupt downward slope than any non-C I can think of...

#513 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:45 PM

To me, it seems like Nick's slowness curve has had a much more abrupt downward slope than any non-C I can think of...

He was never fast, so he didn't have as far to go as, say, Jones does or Roberts did.

@DJ_McCann

#514 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,562 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:51 PM

Anyone who think's this series is over is a damn fool and hasn't been paying attention to Buck Showalter baseball.

It's going to be incredibly tough though. But when isn't it anyway?
  • BSLChrisStoner, BobPhelan, fishteacher and 1 other like this

#515 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:52 PM

Anyone who think's this series is over is a damn fool and hasn't been paying attention to Buck Showalter baseball.

It's going to be incredibly tough though. But when isn't it anyway?

The hard is what makes it great.

@DJ_McCann

#516 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,562 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:54 PM

The hard is what makes it great.

That's what she said.

And OldFan.
  • DJ MC, fishteacher and Markus like this

#517 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:57 PM

Left for work at 6:45 this morning, Wife and kids met me at the office at 1:30, and we headed down to the Ballpark.

17 hours later, I'm home, and I have to get up at 6:45 again for work...But you know what:

I WON'T STOP!!

And neither will the Orioles. This shit ain't over yet. We should pound Jeremy Guthrie on Monday, and we're right back in this thing!

My admittedly odd man crush on Lorenzo Cain does feel a bit more justified right now though.

@beginthebegin71

#518 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 11:14 PM

Left for work at 6:45 this morning, Wife and kids met me at the office at 1:30, and we headed down to the Ballpark.

17 hours later, I'm home, and I have to get up at 6:45 again for work...But you know what:

I WON'T STOP!!

And neither will the Orioles. This shit ain't over yet. We should pound Jeremy Guthrie on Monday, and we're right back in this thing!

My admittedly odd man crush on Lorenzo Cain does feel a bit more justified right now though.

Every time Cain gets a hit or makes a great catch I think, "Damn, Seth must be conflicted." And that's not even a joke :P

I love the "I Won't Stop" attitude. Maybe we should make a parody BSL video to match the team's. I mean, Chris has that RSR and sponsored thread money now, so he can afford the licensing fee :D

• SBTarheel likes this
@DJ_McCann

#519 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 11 October 2014 - 11:21 PM

Every time Cain gets a hit or makes a great catch I think, "Damn, Seth must be conflicted." And that's not even a joke :P

I love the "I Won't Stop" attitude. Maybe we should make a parody BSL video to match the team's. I mean, Chris has that RSR and sponsored thread money now, so he can afford the licensing fee :D

That's awesome, and I'll be happy to root for Lo Cain and the Royals moving forward if they win this series, but not conflicted in the least tonight, he's killing us. We had some Royals people next to us, and they were saying how we was a great guy, good in the community, with the kids....etc. I would like to see more power from him, but he  just started playing Baseball in the 10th grade, so maybe that'll develop. Hopefully not in the next few games.

Definitely not stopping now. WE've been at this O's grind since February, I'll sleep all Winter.

@beginthebegin71

#520 fishteacher

fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,927 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 11 October 2014 - 11:24 PM

While it felt EPIC at the yard tonight, I can tell you there was a sense of urgency and overally discouragement that many of us had to fight against in the crowd.  I had to fight ot get my section 340 to get up and cheer for many times....bad resuts....let's hope for better on Monday!

I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=